Help

The Job Search

Letter of Reference VS Letter of Recommendation

>

matt90

Letter of Reference VS Letter of Recommendation
Old 03-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

May seem like a strange question as they both sound like the same thing but I keep hearing different things. When asking for my letter some say I should ask for a reference while others say recommendation. Is their really that big a difference between the two? I keep getting mixed opinions as some think they are different enough while others say they are the same.

I'll be asking for mine after my ST is over in May and don't want to ask for the wrong letter. So I was wondering which kind you asked for?

Thanks, Matt

matt90 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Matt,

A "reference" (without the "letter of" part) is just asking someone's permission to list their contact information on an application so that the hiring staff can contact them and ask about you!

A letter of recommendation would be a letter your cooperating teacher or previous employer would write that outlines your strengths and recommends you for a specific position, or generally any position for which you are qualified.

If you are seeing "letter of reference" this could be synonymous with "letter of recommendation" or it could mean a more general note that just confirms that you did, indeed, work for this person from this date to that date under this title, or student teach with this person at such-and-such school.

I would ask your cooperating teacher and other people who know your skills for a letter of recommendation, and also ask if they would be willing to be a reference contact for you as you begin seeking work. Be sure, if they agree to be a reference, to ask which form of communication they prefer to list - email, phone number, mailing address, work, home, mobile, et cetera. Nothing is worse than listing a reference who doesn't know to expect the call/email. Tacky!

Good luck in your job search!
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

matt90

Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the reply. I will make sure to do that. Strange others were calling it a letter of reference but that clears up a lot for me.
matt90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Soodoo132

Question
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi,
THis is somewhat related to your answer. I work at a private school. A friend in my hometown (I work 40 miniutes from my home - tough highway commute) has told me a job is opening up RIGHT NEAR my home. I was under the impression there is no way I could ask anyone at my job for a letter of recommendation . It is a small school and word will QUICKLY get out that I am interviewing. My friend is suggesting that I ask my current PRINCIPAL for a letter of recommendation. This seemed way to risky to me. Is this standard procedure? SHould I ask principal for letter? SInce it is private sector I have no protection at this school. Many many folks would LOVE to have my job and I am too afraid to ask for letter from principal. Is there any alternative to this? OH and I am very well-respected at current school. It is like family. I do love my current job but new job would be not only working with my best friend, would be so close to my home but also way way more money. My private school job is low paying and I am stretching to be able to stay there.
Thank you very much,
Soodoo

Last edited by Soodoo132; 04-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: more
Soodoo132 is offline   Reply With Quote