The Job Search

Atlanta job search

>

ltmiller22

Atlanta job search
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi ya'll!
I recently moved to Atlanta from Virginia. I have my teaching license in VA but am working on becoming certified in Georgia. Does anyone have any tips for finding a job in or near Atlanta? I am looking for my first year teaching job and have heard that budget cuts around the area are making finding a job more difficult. Any tips at all would be great! How to make myself stand out, etc. Some school systems have told me that don't like applicants to bring resumes to the principal after applying online, so I need some other ideas!

Thanks for your help!

ltmiller22 is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenofPotato

In the Same Boat
Old 04-23-2012, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am also relocating to Atlanta, although I am just now finishing up my student teaching, and am in the same boat. It is helpful to know that people don't like you to bring resumes there! I have called a district or two and was not received warmly, I was told to stick to applying online. I'm nervous because I feel like in an application database, my lack of certification (due to still being in school) will not make me a good candidate.

Good luck and if you get any ideas let me know, I'll do the same if I get any inspiration . What area of teaching are you in?
QueenofPotato is offline   Reply With Quote

ltmiller22

Hi!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am certified in Elementary Education and Special Education, General Curriculum. I am mainly looking for jobs in Elem. Ed though. I went to a job fair recently where most of the Sped jobs are in a co-teaching classroom, and that is not really what I want to do. Not that I wouldn't mind sharing a class, but my heart is really not in co-teaching, I would rather work in a self-contained classroom, mainly adaptive special ed., but I'm not certified in that.
Anyway, I have gotten my GA license in Elementary Ed. And yes, HR will always tell you to apply online, but I have heard from several people that they email principals resume and cover letters after applying online. And these are in varying districts. One good thing, if your just now applying for your teaching certification is to maybe put that in your cover letter, so the principal/district knows it is in process, rather than assuming you don't have it. I am planning on mailing out a folder with cover letter, resume, letters of recommendation, teaching certifications, directly to specific principals with openings at their schools. You might want to consider doing that, and possibly visiting to several schools near where you live and give them a folder containing that kind of stuff. I am honestly going to do anything that makes me stand out and not just be in the applicant pool online! Many districts are doing budget cuts right now so that is making things more difficult as well! Also check online about job fairs for school districts. All job fairs are already over that I know of except for Fulton County online job fair. You can find it on the TeachGeorgia website.

Good luck to you! I hope we both find something for the upcoming year, if not I will sub to get my foot in the door!

ltmiller22

oops
Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I meant to see visit schools in your area after school lets out. I think principals are much more willing to talk to you and your more likely to get face time with them rather than just talking to the secretary. Also they are more focused on filling vacant positions, so you should stand out to them more than just the people in that filled out the online application or even emailed them! Sorry for so much stuff, but I just think its good to share advice!

QueenofPotato

Thank you
Old 05-24-2012, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you soooooo much! I really appreciate it. I am also Elementary Ed and Special Ed dual certified, but my cert is PA (I'm relocating) so I haven't found out yet if it will be counted as adaptive or general curriculum in GA- there is no distinction here. I agree that my heart is more in self-contained, but there seem to be more interrelated and co-teaching openings, so I am applying for those.

I've sent a lot of emails with not a lot of response, but I'll try visiting too I did get a good response after emailing the hiring manager for Fulton county. He was very nice and helpful, I'd suggest trying to contact him if you're looking in that area.

Good luck and I hope we find something! Who knows, maybe we will end up co-workers.

QueenofPotato is offline   Reply With Quote

ltmiller22

Your Welcome!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Lol! I just realized I repeated myself on the recent thread post with some things I've already said here! I did want to tell you, if your looking for Sped, to also check DeKalb county, you may have already, but they did tell me they do have many openings for the upcoming school year! And also check out districts a bit outside of Atlanta, I was only checking DeKalb, Cobb, Gwinnett and Fulton at first, but there are some more surrounding Atlanta. Also Marrieta and Decatur have a division of charter schools. Just google Marietta City Schools or Decatur City, they may have some positions as well in sped. Sorry for the long posts, but I think in these hard times, sharing tips can be extremely helpful! I have found lots of great advice on PT!