Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Question about the Ebola Virus

>

sportsmom88

Question about the Ebola Virus
Old 10-14-2014, 04:18 PM

Please don't flame me or think I am an idiot, but does anyone else wonder about Ebola and US schools? I have had several middle school kids talk / ask questions about it. These discussions got me thinking about all the germs I am around everyday. I have a DD who is in high school and she has talked about it as well. I pray for those who are suffering or in contact with the virus. I also pray for those who are not infected. The whole thing makes my anxiety go up a little. No I am not in extreme fear, just cautious thinking. Just wondering what other teachers thoughts were on this awful virus.

sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-14-2014, 04:22 PM

Honestly, there are probably a lot scarier things to be worried about in the schools. Ebola is terrible, but the enterovirus is more widespread and dangerous.

Kids are germy.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kitty11710

Old 10-14-2014, 04:30 PM

I was just going to comment in a similar way to Ima teacher...I'm more worried about the entreovirus (spelling?) getting to my school and really really hurting someone. We live in a scary world.
kitty11710 is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 10-14-2014, 04:31 PM

Ima Teacher, I agree that the risk of Ebola in a school is very very low. I had not heard of the enterovirus. I did Google it and agree that it seems more likely to be spread in public schools. I pray for those students and adults that have a weakened immune system and are not able to fight off serious illnesses. Thank you for the discussion.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 10-14-2014, 04:46 PM

I don't think there have been any kids with it yet. I'm not concerned about catching it at a school....I think in my area that would be an extremely low risk. (Our kids travel more to places like India and Poland...never had a student travel to Africa.) I'm more concerned about picking it up in a place like the airport.

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

MeMimi

Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Our school had enterovirus several weeks ago, thankfully an isolated case. Right now we have a case of whopping cough. I'm not worried about Ebola at all. Although our district did send home a note to all parents today with information on it.
MeMimi is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM

I am concerned about the ebola virus possibly spreading to our community, though its more in tje back of my mind than a total fear ruling my life. I live in the mid-Atlantic, between Baltimore and Philly, so near New York and DC.

My son, who is a freshman in college, is very upset by the outbreak and fearful he will come into contact with it. He seems to have OCD and has an upper respiratory infection, so that may be why his concern is nearly overwhelming him.

I just pray we don' t have any contact with the disease.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

penguin1113

Old 10-15-2014, 04:43 AM

I would be more concerned with enterovirus than Ebola. Honestly, I'm surprised you hadn't heard about it before. It's been all over the news. I do think the media overexaggerates the Ebola epidemic. I have some FB friends who are convinced we will all die from Ebola and the only way to cure it is through essential oils.
penguin1113 is offline   Reply With Quote

critter

Ebola vs Enterovirus
Old 10-15-2014, 05:11 AM

I'm not so much worried about it being a problem right now, but I do think that as it spreads (which I think it will) to different parts of the country, it might be more of a concern. Even then, schools wouldn't be at the front of my mind - EVERYWHERE might be risky.

Maybe they can fix the problem before it comes to that. I sure hope so.

Enterovirus scares me. Right now. And I question every sneeze or sniffle that DD has (she is borderline asthmatic).
critter is offline   Reply With Quote