Help

Fifth Grade

Excited to move to 5th from Kindy :)

>

hootyowl

Excited to move to 5th from Kindy :)
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am extremely excited to move to 5th grade after 9 years in kindergarten and 1st. It will be such an excited new adventure to take with the kiddos

I had some questions about reading & math that I was hoping some of you could help me with - since 5th is SO very different from K. In kindy & 1st I used centers and then transitioned 5 years ago to using the Daily 5. I am debating about sticking with the daily 5 and learning about CAFE and integrating the menu OR moving to a Readers Workshop model (I love beth newinghams website). I have ordered both The Book Whisperer and the CAFE book, but was wondering what your experience has been with 5th graders... which one did you liked better for 5th?

I also have a question in regards to math.... My math time consisted of a mini-lesson, followed by a rotation of 3 centers (where I ran one like a guided math lesson) adn the others were games, followed by closure on the carpet. In your experience, would this type of structure work for 5th graders? And, what do you have your 5th graders do for independent practice for centers. I have been looking on Lakeshore & Really Good stuff and there is not nearly as much fun stuff for 5th graders that I have found. Any thoughts?

I appreciate ANY input you have! I am excited to begin planning

hootyowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

Old 07-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Either the Daily 5 or a workshop model would work well. I do Reader's Workshop, but I have kids also participate in Book Clubs during this time so that they can read novels and talk about them with peers (we usually read those related to Science and Social Studies themes). You might want to start with the Daily 5, since you are already comfortable and then tweak it as you go. Another teacher on my team uses the Daily Five with great success.

With regards to math, your plan sounds good to me. I also do mini-lesson and Work Stations related to the theme of the unit with a debrief time at the end. Some of these include working with me, problem solving, computer (fact practice or other things I find with the theme -- I love Brainpops videos!) I have a game wtation with games that come with Envision and those I have saved from Everyday Math and others I have collected. Another is a Language Arts stations where kids work on math vocab and reading math related literature. And finally, there is a Computation Station where kids work on computation on white boards. All manipulatives are out and ready, and we spend a good deal of time setting procedures. I teach the various games during mini-lesson. Kids have a math journal, and the record what they are doing doing Friday Free-Choice time, but otherwise, there is a schedule. We have 2 rounds each day M-Th and free choice rounds on Friday.

Homework is a daily spiral review that encompasses all the skills that have been taught so they have recurring practice. I hope this helps. Good luck. One of my own sons had a 5th grade teacher that had moved from Kindegarten after 13 years and she and I became friends. At the end of the day, they are not that different. They are kids and they start in one place and need to move forward. You'll be great.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

TrendyTN

Which one?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Even when I saw "The Sisters" at IRA, they said by Fifth Grade to just have kids read to self and work on writing...essentially reading and writing workshop.

Everything you have planned sounds great and very similar to what I do.
TrendyTN is offline   Reply With Quote

LReyni

kindy to 5th
Old 07-26-2011, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year I made the move to 5th grade after 10 yrs. in k and 1st. the transition was not near as extreme as i had imagined. I continued Daily 5 in my reading workshop, but tweaked it to fit that age. The sisters actually have a lot of resources for Daily 5 in upper grades. I am reading the Book Whisperer this summer and have wonderful ideas to implement into my daily 5 expectations.

Math for me didn't change much either, I just pushed the content up several knotches. There are many card and dice games out there for big kids to play and work on math skills.

I am very happy about my move and don't think I can go back!
LReyni is offline   Reply With Quote

TrendyTN

Materials
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd love to hear where you got those games!

TrendyTN is offline   Reply With Quote