Help

Third Grade

First Open House

>

Froggylove

First Open House
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching for 6 years and this is the first year that my principal will be holding an open house. I know we will also be doing a back to school night which I am familiar with...but what do I do during Open House>>???

Froggylove is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Open House
Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is this an event before school starts so they can meet their teacher and see their classroom?
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

boystogo

Old 07-11-2011, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Usually, an open house is just that. An informal time for the kids and parents to come into the classroom and see what is going on. We have had them before school starts, so the kids can see their desks, ect.... and we have had them after the school year has begun for parents to come in during the school day to just sit, observe and enjoy their time in the classroom. It is very different from Back to School Night, as there isn't anything formal (like a presentation) that you have to do. It's just a time to visit.
boystogo is offline   Reply With Quote

melissagriesh

Ours is similar
Old 07-11-2011, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds like our open house is similar to the one previously described. It's very informal... if you want it to be! I know some people like to have an agenda so they can keep things orderly, but it's just up to you really!
I usually like to have a few things out for parents to see what their kids have been working on. I like to put a "Show Your Grown UP..." type thing on my smartboard so it gives kids ideas of what they can show their parents that night.
I also usually have some things on their desks: poetry notebook, writing journals, etc. And I like to have some fun art on the walls or from the ceiling they have done. At the end of my list of things to see and do in the room, I tell them not to forget to visit their special area teachers... this gets them out of the room!
In the past I have also said to come see me when you're finished for a small treat! (Kind of saying, "okay you did it all, see ya later!" I ALWAYS have those parents who wanna stick around foreverrrrr and talk about their precious baby.... this helps with that.)
melissagriesh is offline   Reply With Quote

fionafiona

Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our open house is just a "come and go" event. Kids and parents come to meet the teacher, see the classroom, see their desk and locker, etc. I chit-chat with each family for a few minutes and then move on (as long as one parent doesn't monopolize your time). I usually have a little gift on their desk for them-this year its a little notepad and pencil with a small candy. I will also have my first newsletter on their desk for the parent to take-it lists specials for first week, copy of supply list, snack guidelines, etc. I also try to find out how they get home from school (bus and bus #, pick up, day care, etc) I put a chart on the white board and have kids sign their name under how they get home. Our is 1.5 hours

fionafiona is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Open House
Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our PTA holds an Ice Cream Social. We open the school from 5 to 7 PM the Thursday before school starts. The parents and kids can enjoy a cup of ice cream for a twenty-five cents. The kids can also pick up their school supplies from the PTA that were pre-ordered the previous spring.

The class lists are posted for the first time. Students and parents can visit the classroom and meet the teacher.

I meet and greet for two hours. It is fun because some of your previous students come by to say hello as well.

When I meet a new student I just talk to them and their parents for a few minutes. I get their nick name, so I know what to write on their name plate. I also allow them to select their own desk. Each desk has all the text books on top. I ask the parents to help their child write the child's name in ink in each book and then put them inside the desk, so everyone knows that desk is taken. This saves so much time the first day. I try to record each child's book number for my master list that night as well.

On top of the desk I have several forms and letters. I have a letter of introduction saying welcome and then a little information about myself and our year of third grade together. Then there is a note about snack, water bottles and our heat policy for recess at the beginning of the year. (It is very hot in August when school starts.) There is also an information sheet to fill out. Just name, address, phone number and email kind of thing. I also ask that they fill in the permission slip to eat Friendship Fruit Salad, which we make together at the end of the first week.

I have a neighborhood map out and they put a sticky on the map with their initials where they live. We use this later in social studies.

I have out our collection of novels we will be reading, so they can look at them.

I have a bulletin board display about me. It includes class pictures of me and my previous students.

I have my class computers on my webpage. They can play the games on the links page.

Then I give them their confetti letter to open the night before school starts as they leave.I tell them to enjoy their last weekend of summer and I am looking forward to our next school year together.

Hope this helps with your first open house. Good luck!

daisydee226

Helpful as always
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

1956BD... you are SO helpful as always!

I love all your ideas! I especially like the bulletin board display about you! GREAT IDEA!
daisydee226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Froggylove

Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you sooo much...this is great...what r confetti letters if u don't mind me asking.

1956BD

Confetti Letter
Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

First let me say this is not my creation. Someone shared it a few years ago and I have used it every year since.

It is a letter for students to open the night before school starts. It has magic confetti to help with the back to school jitters. If you place the confetti next to your bed, you will sleep better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Back to school magic confetti.pdf (506.5 KB, 153 views)

1956BD

Another Version
Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

of the confetti letter.

I always put the confetti in snack size zip lock baggie before I put it in the envelope with the letter. That way when the student opens the letter the confetti does not make a mess.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Back To School Magic Confetti.doc (38.5 KB, 95 views)

Froggylove

Great Idea
Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks!!(for sharing)

julmc

I really like
Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

the idea of the students marking where they live on a community map. We begin the year with geography, and since our Social Studies theme in 3rd grade is Communities, this will be perfect. I will be visiting my city hall tomorrow for maps. Love your great ideas 1956BD!
julmc is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

another idea
Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Something else I'm going to do is have the child look around the classroom library and pick a book to put on his/her desk for the first day of school. I always give them a short assignment on the first day of school, but then I ask them to read their book while I finish taking attendance, etc... so it'll be nice to have them with a book they WANT to read.

Last year I used an idea I read on PT and it went over well. I put a small microwave popcorn (unpopped) on their desks with a note that said, "Thanks for poppin' by!"

I'll have all the forms on the desk for the parent to sign right then or take home to return on the first day of school (2 days later).
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Open House
Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Our Open House is in the Spring and it is where you are supposed to showcase what the students did during the year. It also is very informal.

Our back to school night is where I do a presentation.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

candygirl

Friendship Fruit Salad??
Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

1956 BD - Please tell me about this - it sounds like a fun idea! You are so creative!

Last edited by candygirl; 07-13-2011 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: clarification
candygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Friendship Fruit Salad
Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This was shared a couple of years ago. I have use it at the end of the first week of school since then. Some teachers use fresh fruit, some frozen and some canned. It is fun and makes a great lesson as well.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Friendship Salad-1.doc (20.5 KB, 54 views)

firstisfab

Confetti
Old 07-23-2011, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thanks for sharing. I love the confetti idea. I have always left a letter with little items in a bag about the coming year. I gleaned the letter from some amazing teacher online. It has Smarties in it because they are such smart first graders, an eraser because we all make mistakes, a smiley sticker to remind students to bring their smiles to school everyday, etc. It breaks the ice for little first graders. They love it!
firstisfab is offline   Reply With Quote