90 minutes (departmnetalized) for RW & WW with Basal---HELP - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

90 minutes (departmnetalized) for RW & WW with Basal---HELP

>

IRockURead

90 minutes (departmnetalized) for RW & WW with Basal---HELP
Old 09-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If anyone uses the Reading workshop with basal and writing workshop model and ONLY have 90 MIN to do so, please share how its done on a weekly basis. I teach third grade.

Also, I know ideally I should have about an hour for reading and an hour for writing, but since I dont I am thinking I will split it 60/30.

60 min for reading workshop
  • 10-15 minilesson
  • 40 minute independent reading to practice skills and respond to reading. Meet with guided reading. strategy groups during this time (two groups 20 min each)
  • 5-10 minute closing/sharing
30 min for Writing
  • 10 min mini-lesson
  • 20 minutes to write (me conferencing with students)
  • 10 minutes of author's chair (sharing)
But where do i fit spelling, and teaching cursive in there?

Please only post if you have 90min for both. I have read so many great ideas only to find out the teacher has 90 min for reading and writing is dring a separate time. Ahhhh.

IRockURead is offline   Reply With Quote

TrendyTN

Use a day
Old 09-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have about 90 min for both and I am required to use basal. I do 45 min for each. Mini lesson topics come from basal, kids read from basal and self- selected books. I use one day (Wed) to teach grammar, handwriting (quickly), and spelling. Then I use Friday's WW to give spelling test. I look for grammar and handwriting in WW pieces. I've got one little guy with horrible handwriting. He does extra practice at home.
TrendyTN is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

departmentalized
Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am also departmentalized in primary. I have about 90 minutes for reading and 30 for writing/other. If I were you, I'd look into the Daily 5 to structure your reading block. This can be used for K-6th grade. It might look something like this for you since you have 90 minutes total for everything. Students choose between the following 5 stations while you confer or meet with small groups: read to self, read to someone, work with words (spelling/vocab), listen to reading, and work on writing. You will only be able to get in 2 rounds a day for 20 minutes each round but it will break things up nicely for you.

Lesson 1: 15 min. - basal (comprehension)- daily

Round 1 - 20 min. Read to Self: All students read the basal and self-selected books while you conference with individual readers or meet with small group

Lesson 2: 15 min. - spelling (from basal) on Mon,Tues
handwriting on Wed.
writing on Th and Friday

Round 2 - 20 min. Daily 5 choose between work on writing and work with works. On the days you do writing, ALL your students do work on writing and authors chair at end.

Lesson 3: 15 min. - vocabulary or grammar
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

IRockURead

Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

beachbumteach: I like the D5 model you've mentioned. I am a little confused about "writing on Th & Friday" Is this the only time you teach writing? For example, if I wanted to begin showing the students how to write a personal narrative, I would wait until Thursday to start?

Also, Round 2 of choosing between work on writing and work with words." Can you possible explain in a little more detail.

Also during "read to self" since you are departmentalized...where do you have students keep their books? I do not have enough $/room for book boxes.

Could you possibly attach a sample day/week lesson plan? I think that would help tremendously!!

IRockURead

Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Also, could reading responses be done during "work on writing"?