Help

Violet Room

Most meaningful picture books

>

BookMuncher

Most meaningful picture books
Old 07-28-2007, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Let's all share a couple of our very favorite meaningful picture books. By meaningful, I mean ones that every year touch our hearts and our children's hearts. Most of my favorites I've bought on word of mouth. You're not going to always find them being displayed at Barnes and Nobles!

We should try to revitalize this room!

BookMuncher

I'll start...
Old 07-28-2007, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Old Woman Who Named Things

No matter what kind of class I read this too, they always break out in a spontaneous clap at the end. The story is a junxaposition of new life and a life that is nearing it's end. The kids somehow "get" this. They rejoice when the old woman opens her heart to love the puppy that she, in the beginning, refuses to name since every other named soul in her life has already died. Instead, she only gives names to inanimate objects- her car, her house, her chair. This story is beautifullly written and illustrated.

Owl Moon

Even though everyone probably has this in their libraries, it's still one of my favorite books to read aloud. I always hold it off until winter, so we have the right "mood." After the initial read, we read it again and again until many children claim it is their favorite book.

I'll post more later!

kn324

Favorite Meaningful Books
Old 07-28-2007, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

New Favorites:
* A Frog Thing by Eric Drachman - I'm going to use it to help teach stamina and perseverance... It's about a frog who really wants to fly, but can't because he's a frog. In the end he gets to fly and decides that he's a wonderful swimmer.

* The Incredible Book Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers - I am going to use this at the beginning of the year. It's about a boy who loves to eat books. He notices that as he eats these books he gets smarter. But soon after all of the things in his brain gets mixed up. In the end he realizes that he learns just as much by reading the books rather than eating them.

Old Favorite:
* The Jester Has Lost His Jingle by David Saltzman - This book HANDS DOWN is my all-time favorite. The reminder to slow down in this busy world and to think of all the wonderful things in our lives is fantastic. The story behind the book is even more heartwarming. I highly recommend it, it's a wonderful story for people of all ages.

dswan

good book ideas!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Darn! I'm going to have to rework my budget again and see if I can fit in a few books! Bookmuncher, great idea to share the great books and also how/when we use them. I'll have to think this over because I know I have some that the kids just love... but 2 simple ones that pop into mind are Henry and Mudge, the First Book (I always get a lump in my throat when Henry cries and can't find Mudge! and the kids faces are always screwed up with concern--great for connections!)... and A Picture Book of Martin Luther King... the children look like they're going to cry over the injustices at any moment! They really get into it.

eloise

picture books
Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank-You, Mr. Falker by Patriccia Polacco: I read this book every year and still get teary at the end. It is a story about a girl (the author) who struggles with reading and faces a lot of teasing. She finally has a teacher who helps her out (Mr. Falker). At the end, you find out that the girl is Patriccia Polacco and she meets Mr. Falker after she has become an author - the kids are always so amazed by this!

SusanTeach

The Giving Tree
Old 07-28-2007, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know this is an old book, but I remember when I taught 8th grade and I read it to them - one of the 8th grade boys actually cried!

Now I read it to my 3rd graders when we do our environmental unit - mostly because it tells so much about how our resources can be used. It always brings in a great lesson on giving.

cathybev

Fav books
Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One of my favorites is The Story of Ruby Bridges because someone always cries, and the kids just can't believe that people were treated that way and how brave Ruby is. I also love Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran, Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall, and The Wall by Eve Bunting. I could go on forever. I can't forget the Velveteen Rabbit.

BookMuncher

more
Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I almost put The Giving Tree and Roxaboxen on my list-- I adore both.

Have you guys looked at the book Remember: a Journey to School Integration by Toni Morrison? I found it cheaper at a book warehouse this summer and it is amazing. It would be so fabulous for every age, K-12. It was even eye-opening for me, being born in the 80's. The whole thing is photos from the actual time when schools were being integrated and I've never seen most of them. It gave me the chills.

Here it is at Barnes and Noble:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...18397402&itm=1

kn324

Old 07-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Don't Laugh at Me by Steve Seskin - It goes with the country song (I don't know the artist). It is very sad but very honest and true. I used this with my first graders in talking about teasing and how to treat other people. It was very powerful. The kids loved the book and wanted to read it over and over.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Laugh-Rea...5647581&sr=8-1

liketeaching1

meaningful books
Old 07-28-2007, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I also vote for Owl Moon. It is really special.

The Kevin Henkes books seem to be really good for me also--simply because the kids can relate to feelings/emotions.

This would be good for ME to make a list this year and why. That will help me remember them each year as I plan.

mrssimon2gr

Anything Patricia Polacco
Old 07-28-2007, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My kids cried during Pink and Say....2nd grade...they loved listening to me read Patricia Polacco.

annieteach1

Old 07-28-2007, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The New King by E.B. Lewis. It was a book given to my family after my grandfather passed. It's a story from Madagascar about a young prince. When his father, the king, is killed in a lion hunt, the "new king" demands that his father be brought back to life. It gets me every time!

Odd Velvet by Mary Whitcomb. Velvet is "odd" because she only has a box of 8 crayons, doesn't wear a new dress on the first day of school, and brings "strange" things for show and tell instead of crying baby dolls like the other girls. Eventually she wins over the class. It's a great book to read when talking about differences/what makes us special. BTW...the author is from Madison (we're just south of there in Janesville) and she came to our school a couple of years ago and did an AWESOME talk about her book and the 6 Traits. She brought her stack of rejection letters along and talks about not giving up.

Enemy Pie by Derek Munson is an awesome book to read when you're talking about friendship and is also great for making predictions (what is in enemy pie???).

I also love A Frog Thing that kn324 mentioned. Great book!

kaycee1128

I love...
Old 07-28-2007, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Twinnies by Eve Bunting
Charlie Anderson by Barbara Abercrombie
Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox
Tulip Sees America by Cynthia Rylant

BookMuncher

another second!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I looooooooooooove Wilfred Gordon! I think I've given it as a gift to as least five people! Thanks for mentioning it!

clkelley

My ol' Man
Old 07-28-2007, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This one gets to me because my Dad is no longer alive. It's a great character study within a narrative about her dad. I make my kids do a character sketch with a memory narrative at the end of grade 2 after reading this one.

KANTCH

My Favorite
Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The Three Questions by Jon Muth. It is based on a story by Tolstoy. FANTASTIC. I teach middle school kids and I read this book to them every year. The illustrations are good and the story is powerful.

cathybev

I am going to make a list
Old 07-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

of all of the titles that I am not familiar with. They all sound great. Who knows, maybe I'll win the lottery!!!

iheartmyclass

I have this one memorized:
Old 07-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Where the Wild Things Are.
Handsdown my favorite read-aloud to my two boys at home.

At Christmastime, The Polar Express. Have loved that one since before they thought of making a movie.

Anything Polocco. LOVE her work. And Cynthia Rylant. Esp. Dog Heaven. I teach in a Christian school, so I read that to my firsts last year and they LOVED it so much they made their own books similar to hers.

I can't wait to check out some of the ones I've not read before - great thread!

msharkey

Fav Books
Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

It is so incredibly hard to choose and actually, to think of "my favs". My head is swimming with books.

Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant ( a new fav of mine - gift from a friend when my dog recently passed)
Abuela and Isla ( the author escapes me right this minute)
Alexander and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Every year, I take my kiddos to an art museum to visit their collection. I prep them with the Katie and the Picture Show series (Katie and the Sunflowers, Katie and the Impressionists, etc...). THEY GO ABSOLUTELY WILD OVER THEM!!! They really get into them. They love the art work and how Katie involves herself in the paintings. I believe they are out of print but if anyone ever has the opportunity, I would highly recommend them.

I LOVE ANY STORY FROM TOMIE DEPAOLA!!!!

I'm sure I'll be adding more as they come to me.

Great thread. Thanks Bookmuncher!
Shark

TexasGretch

A few more good ones
Old 07-28-2007, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I love Amber was Brave, Essie was Smart: The Story of Amber and Essie Told Here in Poems and Pictures by Vera B. Williams This book is a collection of poems about how two sisters help one another while their mother is working and their father is in prison. It is great to get kids to think beyond what is written on the page.

The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds. This book is about a child who believes she is not good in art and can only draw a dot. Her teacher frames the dot and believes in the child who in turn believes in herself. Great book!

Ish by Peter H Reynolds.This is along the lines of The Dot. A boy loves to draw until someone tells him he is no good. He then begins to crumple and throw away all of his drawings. One day he finds that his little sister has been collecting them all and hanging them in her room because even though his drawing of a dog may not look like a dog (not sure what the drawing was) it looks "dogish" and that is good enough.

Both The Dot and Ish were presented to my campus by Katherine Bomer when she came to do some training. They are powerful tools for helping children to understand that writing is a process. Check them out.

I also love all things Patricia Polacco.
I can't read Chicken Sunday without crying. This is a great book for powerful language.
I love When Lightning Comes in a Jar - great for Writer's Workshop
And Thank You, Mr. Falker is a personal favorite. I was that dyslexic student and my Mr. Falker was Mrs. Folmer
FYI, I have had my dyslexic students write to Patricia over the years and even though they take a while to come each child has always gotten a hand written letter from her that I'm sure they will treasure for years.

Thanks for this idea I can't wait to hit the book store.

kaycee1128

I thought of more...
Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

The Two of Them-Aliki
Now One Foot, Now the Other-Depaola

I love all stories about grandparents because I loved mine SO much!

J.Elaine

One of my favorites
Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I teach 4th/5th, and one of my favorites is

All the Places to Love
by Patricia Maclachlan (Author), Michael Wimmer (Illustrator)

The text is meaningful and the paintings are absolutely beautiful! After we read it, my students write about and illustrate one of their favorite places to love. Actually, it is one of the most meaningful small writings we do. Students are actually writing about memories -- a fishing spot they go to with their grandpa, a treehouse they built with a parent, etc.

dswan

Now One Foot...
Old 07-29-2007, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I tried ordering Now One Foot, Now the Other last year, and found it out of print and unavailable! Any suggestions on getting a copy?

bookfanatic

dswan
Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

There are quite a few sellers on half.com that are selling this book.

sarahz1916

When I Am Old With You
Old 07-29-2007, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

When I Am Old With You I'm unsure who the author is, for I just "stumbled" across it at a book fair a few years ago. Being a "Grandaddy's Girl" I love it because it is about a child and his Grandfather. It's told from the little boy's perspective and lists all the things he will do with his Grandfather when they are old together. My Grandfather is still alive so it makes my heart smile every time I read it. I'm sure though, that when he passes, it will be a little hard for me to read. I gave him a copy as a gift a few years ago.

dswan

to bookfanatic...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

...thanks for the info on half.com! I ordered the book and it's on the way!

love2read

great books
Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Fritz and the Beautiful Horses by Jan Brett - wonderful art, great message
Jamberry- Bruce Degan - silly fun, rhyming
The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig -?, funny, good pix

maryw

Miss Rumphius
Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I love the message this book sends. I have not used it in a classroom yet, but loved reading it to my children. I am thinking about using it when I talk about classroom behavior and doing things because they are the right thing to do not because you will be rewarded.

J.Elaine

Just remembered another one . . .
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I just remembered another picture book I used with my 4th graders last year:

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell and David Catrow

maitai

You are Special
Old 07-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

You Are Special by Max Lucado

I read this book to my 4th graders and they love it , in fact I gave it to each of my students as an xmas gift a few years back. it does have religious theme but I by pass it with saying that we all have gifts and talents and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It is about and wemmick (elf) who lives his life by what everyone else thinks of him.. i love it and have read it many times to my son.. it has a great message,

maitai

Another one
Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Fly Away Home by Eve Bunting... great book for making precitions.. about a boy and his dad who live in an airport and what life is like. In the beginning it never tells that they live in the airport. I start with a book walk , having them make predictions about that they think without reading the text. It is GREAT and sad but also a good book to discuss about being grateful for what we have.

teachinrocks

Mr. Peabody's Apples
Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

By Madonna! It is a fantastic story for teaching about how gossip/spreading lies hurts. I always read it the first week or two as we are building community-discussing how we will treat each other. Mr. Peabody is a favorite teacher and coach in town, everyone loves him. One day, some boys from his team see him stop at the market and put an apple in his pocket without paying for it. They tell everyone that he stole the apple, which spreads through the small town very quickly. In reality, Mr. Peabody had already paid for the apple ahead of time. My favorite part is how he handles the situation and helps the boys realize how hard it is to take back or fix something hurtful that you say/ a lie that you spread.

KcK

A few
Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Knots on a Counting Rope by Bill Martin Jr. and someone else whose name escapes me. I love the set up of the conversation and my kids are always so intrigued by the story and figuring it out.

A Day's Work by Eve Bunting- it touches every class I read it to. I have a lot of students who have immigrant parents or grandparents.

Cheyenne Again- author? I thought of this one when someone mentioned Ruby Bridges (which I also love!). I always read it at about the same time.

I am sure that there are so many more that I just must read every year, but summer has stolen them from my head at the moment.

riley19

My favorite books is...
Old 07-31-2007, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

The Wise Woman and Her Secret. I love this book. It reminds me to take my time and be curious. To wander and wonder...
This is a great book to read before introducing wonder boxes.

mom2r2

Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Thanks everyone for some great ideas!
I love My Great Aunt Arizona (I think it's written by Gloria Houston). I also love The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree. Of course, Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair by Patricia Polacco is a favorite, too.

For fun, my students love Robert Munsch books.

A favorite to use as a spin off for writing is The Important Book. I have had some children write some very touching pieces about important people.

Readalot

Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I also love Stand Tall Mollie Lou Melon!
Come on Rain!
One foot then the other and The Giving Tree - I cry
Olivia and Fancy Nancy-I laugh
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
My new fav-The Grimm Sisters series
Thanks for the idea!

grvs

Old 08-02-2007, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Somebody And the 3 Blairs
Piggie Pie
Anything by Robert Munsch

SnoopyLover

Hard to choose
Old 08-02-2007, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I like so many for different reasons but Ira Sleeps Over is the one I identify to mt students as my favorite because I love how his sister think she knows it all and his parents are so reassuring. And the kids love that the teddy bears' names are TaTa and Foofoo. They just laugh and laugh.
Just about everything by Cynthia Rylant touches me in some way but I love The Bookshop Dog and When I Was Young in the Mountains. Ditto for Patricia Polacco and the kids love Babushka Baba Yaga and they always cry at the end of Pink and Say.

Linda/OH

Old 08-06-2007, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Anything by Polacco, Van Allsburg, and Rylant
I'm in Charge of Celebrations-Byrd Baylor (great for writing tie-in!)
Teammates-Peter Golenbeck (sp?) Jackie Robinson with Branch Ricky make history!
Wilma Unlimited -Kathleen Krull about Wilma Rudolph overcoming many obstacles to achieving world's fastest runner in the 1960"s I think...
Rachel Carson-author?

I enjoy reading aloud picture biographies

lizshep

favorite book for my students
Old 08-06-2007, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

this past year while studying caldecott medal books i read The Man Who Walked Between the Towers by Mordicai Gerstein. it's the true story of phillipe petit, a tightrope walker from paris who illegally spread a cable between the twin towers in nyc in 1974 and walked the entire way between them. my students were completely engrossed in this story and i would recommend it to other teachers.

mjher

Old 08-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I love to use books for modelled writing-who better to do it than published authors. A few of my favourites are:
The Best Part of Me by Wendy Ewald. Children describe their favourite part of their body and there is a photo of that part.
What Cows Do When No One is Looking by Bruce Thompson. We then write about what parents do, what teachers do, what children do, etc, etc.
The Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume. Good for teaching voice.
I have a LOT more, but those come to my mind right now.

iris

Kevin Henkes books
Old 08-06-2007, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

are always a hit with my students.

Lynetteapo

mjher
Old 08-07-2007, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

"What Cows Do when no one is looking" sounds great, especially as a segway (sp) to writing. I searched amazon and google for it but didn't see it. ARe the title and author correct? Is it out of print? Help, I want to use it!

mjher

Lynetteapo
Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

My copy is at school. I'll be going there in a couple of days and will check to see who the publisher is. It is hilarious!

mjher

Lynetteapo
Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I bought this book a few years ago. I hope you can still get it!
What Cows Do When No One is Looking - Bruce Thompson
Crystal Springs Books
Peterborough, NH 03458
1-800-321-0401

danateach93

favs
Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Wilfred Gordon is one that brings a tear to my eye whenever I read it - I do an author study on Mem Fox in the spring. I met her at a conference - What an amazing person!

I also love the Munsch books & I get chills when I read The Polar Express to my class.

One that is a favorite with my class every year is The Brand New Kid by Katie Couric. Great for discussing empathy.

jch

Another Eve Bunting
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

The Wall by Eve Bunting.

I read it around Veteran's Day and have never finished the book without a tear coursing down my cheek.

It's about a grandfather and grandson visiting The Wall in Washington, DC. A powerful, powerful book.

1956BD

Round Trip
Old 08-11-2007, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

One of my favorites is Round Trip by Ann Jonas. It is a very simple story line about a family traveling from their home in the country to the city by day. This appears to be the end, but then you turn the book around and read back to front. The family goes back home at night. The illustrations are all black and white, but are very creatively done because the positive space becomes the negative space which changes the whole picture. I don't know how the artist did it!
Anyway I use it to teach thinking backwards as a math strategy for problem solving. My students always love it and want to look at the pictures some more after I finish reading.

1956BD

Encounter/Cloudy With a Chance Of Meatballs
Old 08-11-2007, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I enjoy teaching point of view with Encounter by Jane Yolen. She views the arrival of Columbus through the eyes of a Taino Indian boy. The illustrations are beautiful.
A fun one is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett. I use this when we discuss "ideas" in the six traits of writing. Students love it because it is so imaginative.

1956BD

Old 08-11-2007, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I'm on a roll now I keep thinking of more of my favorites.

Bubba The cowboy Prince by Helen Kettleman(fractured fairy tale)
Polar, The Titanic Bear by Daisy Spedden
High Rise Glorious Skittle Skat Roarious Sky Pie Angel Food Cake by Nancy Willard
The Secret Knowledge of Grown-ups by David Wisniewski
Everybody Needs a Rock by Byrd Baylor
Rocks in His head by Carol Otis Hurst

Chris G

my very favorites....
Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

Weslandia by Paul Fleischman
Sleeping Ugly by Jane Yolen

Suzydiana

Re: Most meaningful picture books
Old 08-15-2007, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I love books!

Caps for Sale
Go Dog GO
Click clack moo and the rest of those in the series
I like any fairy tales
Lily and the Purple Purse
Thundercake

I could go on and on

bmxmom

Re: Most meaningful picture books
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

Polar Express has to rank up there as one of my favorite read alouds at Christmas time. And like others said about Holes, I was upset when the movie came out also. It took away from the "specialness" of the book I think.

Robert Munsch is hilarious! My 2nd graders always love anything by him! I love him too!

The Christmas Puppy is a nice, but sad story. One year I made the mistake of reading it aloud to my class before previewing it. I was just about breaking down at the end!!! Needless to say, a few of my students were crying too! It's a very touching story, just one that I wouldn't read aloud again to 2nd graders.

fun_friend

Some I love
Old 08-16-2007, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

These books are especially appropriate for very young readers.

I love No David! by David Shannon and all the succeeding titles about bad little David.

The Stray Dog by Marc Simont is a favorite of my children. They like to pretend that the boy and girl are them and the dog is our old dog that passed away. The mean dog catcher they always pretend is my dad!

Rain Makes Applesauce by Julian Scheer and Marvin Bileck has some beautiful illustrations and whimisical ideas. This is part of my family's tradition for sure. "Oh you're just talking silly talk!"

For kids who are a little older I like Science Verse by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith or really anything by these two. My son reads Science Verse and Math Curse over and over (he's seven).

I'm taking note of you other posters' faves and I'll be seeking them out!

de'anna

The Stranger
Old 08-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

One of my favorites is The Stranger by Van Allsburg. I love most of his work. Also, Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.

NJ Teacher

Favorite books
Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

I love My Great Aunt Arizona by Gloria Houston. It's a great book that I like to share with my students at the beginning of the year. I also like Mrs. Spitzer's Garden by Edith Patou.

LynneO

A Great Book
Old 09-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

An Angel For Solomon Singer by Cynthia Rylant. Also another great book is Elijah's Angel by Michael Rosen.

Both books focus on friendship...And they are intergenerational.

teacherdani21

Old 09-15-2007, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

I have to second the book The Man Who Walked Between the Towers. I read it to my first graders on Sept. 11th and it took us a half hour to get through the book. They were so mezmorized by it, and they had so many questions. We had such a long discussion after the story as well.
All of these are such great suggestions. I recently found Dog Heaven at a thrift store and about two days after I found it I had to read it to my kids because one of the kids had a dog that died.
Anything by Cynthia Rylant, Eve Bunting, and Polacco are all good. At Christmas I LOVE to read The Polar Express....it has always been one of my favorites and I still feel like a little kid when I read it.

ritateach

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Old 10-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

I love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Any age of student that I've read it to has loved it. It's a great way to introduce the alphabet.

NJM423

I love the book...
Old 10-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

The Empty Pot by Demi
It's about an emperor that proclaims that his successor will be the child who grows the most beautiful flowers from the seeds the emperor distributes. A boy named Ping loves flowers and usually anything that he plants blooms beautifully. But the emperor's seed will not grow for Ping no matter how much love and care the boy gives the seeds. After months of trying to grow the seeds, an embarrassed goes before the emperor carrying only his empty pot. All the other children in the land come back with fully blossomed plants. The emperor ignores the beautiful blossoms brought by the other children and chooses Ping, revealing that the seeds he handed out had been cooked and could not possibly grow. Ping was the only child in the land that was honest and brought back an empty pot, so he becomes the emperor. It's a beautiful story about honesty being the best policy.

4strong

Eve Bunting
Old 10-17-2007, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

Everything she writes! The Butterfly House; Smoky Night; Riding the Tiger; Fly Away Home; Jin Woo; Rudi's Pond; The Memory String; The Wall

ebkteach

So many good ones....
Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

I have sooooo many favorites it's hard to remember them all. Many of them have already been mentioned, but here are a few that haven't
Oliver Button is a Sissy by Tomie de Paola and William's Doll by Charlotte Zolotow. Also, The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson.

PPCDTeacher

Old 10-27-2007, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss.... you can talk about feelings and moods and colors, and how to handle feelings. One of my favorites, and it is SOOOO beautifully illustrated.

One of my favorites is also Julius, Baby of the World by Kevin Henkes, just because I have a little sister and I can relate

lenarmc

Love
Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

A Bad Case of Stripes which teaches children to be themselves.
The English Roses which teaches children not to judge a book by its cover.

erica_1020

The Memory String
Old 07-03-2008, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

If you have not read it, it is a great book. It is by Eve Bunting. I did not come from a broken or blended family, but it is an awesome story.

5/6 Teach

My faves
Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

I like to use these books

Alexander and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day- personal narratives
Click, Clack, Moo- personification
Diary of a Fly, Spider, Worm-diaries

I know there are tons that I like to read just to read, but I can't think of them.

serendipity

Old 07-03-2008, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

What a terrific collection! I love "The Great Fuzz Frenzy", it is hilarious but at a deeper level really shows the "human condition". I teach grade 1 and my grade 6 buddy class absolutely loved it. I like Mo Willems books, especially "Don't let the pigeon Drive the Bus" and 'Knufflebunny". I get the best examples of beginning, middle and end with "Belle's Journey" (but you have to have experienced extreme cold to appreciate it.) Also "not a box" by Antoinette portis' and "ish" for sure. It is so great to be able to pull out the right book at the right moment! This list of suggestions is wonderful. I've lots to explore. Vera Williams is worth looking at as an author study. So is Todd Parr.

Ms. Teacher#1

Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

1. Fly Away Home
2. Pink & Say
3. The Butterfly
4. A Bargain for Frances
5.Love You Forever
6. Wednesday Surprise

Ellie's Mom

Great books!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

My Great Aunt Arizona is one that I have to have a student finish because it's so touching at the end. We always have a spot for Arizona on our Important Women in History board.

Something Good by Robert Munsch The first time I read it aloud (or ever) I choked up when the little girl asked if she wasn't worth the amount on the price tag. I wasn't expecting that.

Just Another Ordinary Day (out of print) It is fantastic for visualizing.

Suddenly My first gaders just love this book.

peanut44

Favorite Book
Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #70

I love Corduroy! It's a classic and the kids love hearing it read aloud over and over!

firstisfab

fav book of all time
Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #71

Somebdy Loves You Mr. Hatch is my all time favorite picture book. It has a great message of wht one random act of kindness can do to someone and how it can trickle out to more people.

Tatha

Landmark Picture Books
Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #72

Let the Celebrations Begin by Margaret Wild and Julie Vivas - This takes place in a Nazi concentration camp just before liberation. The older women of the camp use scraps to make toys for the remaining children of the camp.

Faithful Elephants by Yukio Tsuchiya - The story is told by a zookeeper who explains the meaning behind the memorial at the Tokyo Zoo. Animal lovers everywhere will be crying while reading this one.

audriana

Great post!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #73

Anything by:

Chris Van Allsburg (my team introduced me to him this year. Of course I knew the Polar Express and Jumanji but I wasn't familiar with his other works. We used this to teach theme among other things.) Great books!

David Wiesner (my team introduced me to him as well. We used him to teach inferring among other things.) My kids loved him, too!

Patricia Polacco -- I love everything she has written.

Cynthia Rylant - When I was Young in the Mountains. (Actually I love all of her books, too!)

Eve Bunting -- I used so many of her books. I loved Cheyenne Again. One of my favorite books of hers that I don't use because it's a little too old for my kids is Terrible Things. It's an allegory of the Holocaust.

Phyllis

Typed List of these books
Old 07-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #74

I attempted to type in the list. I may not have gotten them all, and there may be misspellings but here it is (I hope).

I do see the Knots in the last line is not correct and there are bound to be other mistakes. Forgive please.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Most Meaningful Picture Books.doc (50.5 KB, 50 views)

cvt

Phyllis
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #75

Thanks, Phyllis, for typing up the list! It saved me quite a bit of time since I was planning to do this. I'm doing some literacy workshops for new primary teachers and this will be a great help.

vttraveler

Great list!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #76

Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch! (I have to read it every Valentine's Day, and I can never get through it without getting choked up.)

The Window (An amazing wordless book, done with collage)