Help

Private Schools

Help Please!!

>

aboes

Help Please!!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach in a small, private school and this year I have 29 first grades with several that have some behavioral issues. I have them broken down into about 4 reading groups, so I'm hopping needless to say. What with managing behavior and planning.

We have an ELL student, whom the parents said was fluent in english, but it turns out that is not the case. I was told that she had lived the last 2 years in Mexico, but actually she has been there since she was 2. We have no ELL teachers, programs nor do I have any ELL training. (But boy, have I been reading everything I can find). I had a collegue translate her cum. folder from Mexico, which indicates she might have had reading difficulties in her native tonuge.

I'm not sure where to go to find outside help. I have been focusing on teacher her letter recognition, as she only knows about half the letters. Is that the best place to start? I'm looking for some bilingual parents to come and help me, but am not sure of the direction to go. On our state reading test, she scored as an average kindergartener. When would one know that is would be better to place her there, or to keep her with her age group?

I'm frustrated because we don't have the resources to help this child and don't exactly know where to go to find them. Or what the scope and sequence would be to help her. Could anyone give me some suggestions.

aboes is offline   Reply With Quote

bells4me

no special training needed
Old 10-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try this http://picturemereading.com/ I haven't tried them, but they do have studies that show they work. The site also tells how this way of learning is for ELL and dyslexic students, developmentally delayed and other special needs.

When teaching your kid, I think you will have to just go with the flow. Teaching children with special needs (especially in a school that is not equipped - I can relate) requires a lot of patience and creativity. You don't always know where you will end up. You just need to keep pushing sometimes gently and other times not so. Try calling the public school special ed. They can give you some good direction.

Good luck!
bells4me is offline   Reply With Quote