ARCHIVE

sensory table

>

carob99

sensory table
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I just bought a kiddie pool to use as my sensory table. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for activities to use in my "sensory table"?

thanks in advance

carob99 is offline   Reply With Quote

smitty509

Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Aside from the obvious water and sand, what about rice, shredded paper (or paper that the kids can cut giving them scissor practice!), leaves (and then you can 'hide' things in it as well), soil and worms, shredded newspaper (and hide magnetic items - kids search through with magnets or magnetic wands), goop (cornstarch and water)... the list is endless!
smitty509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.B

more than just sand
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I try to change it a few times a year. I've seen water, sand, hay, snow, popcorn (from post offices), dirt, and dried leaves. You can also make up a hunt. The pre-k teacher hid Halloween foam shapes in her leaves. I hid bears in my popcorn.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldiTeaches

Sensory
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the idea of using rice as an alternative to sand. Rice is great for measuring with different sized containers. I have carpet in my room and sand tables gives me nightmares!

I have also used plain old water and added coloring for the different seasons and even added peppermint oil to red water at Christmas time (made the room smell great!) Talk about a sensory table!

Halloween time is my favorite. I've put in green spaghetti and they searched for and counted how many little plastic bats or spiders they could find. I've also done hair gel with the same idea! I love sensory tables!
GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

coppsma

Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use many of the things mentioned by pp but and the kids have fun, but be careful with you choices due to allergic reactions. I once had a child with severe food and pollen allergies react to plain old liquid tempra paint when he was using it for feet paintings.(this was pre-k). His toes began to itch and erupted in ugly red welts. no reaction when he uses a paintbrush, but this was new.

As much fun as it could be, I would not be allowed to have hay in the classroom. Also, a child with many allergies who reacts with rashes might have a skin reaction to peppermint oil or hair gel. Best to contact mom and see if she would rather have her kid skip the sensory table during that phase.

coppsma is offline   Reply With Quote

k-tchr

Other ideas
Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Styrofoam packing "peanuts" and beans are other fun ideas. My favorite has been the rice...not quite as messy as sand and less dust.
k-tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Xmeliss06X

Sensory Table
Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Dried corn and different shapes/colors of uncooked pasta
Also what about beads string or pipe cleaners it helps to keep the beads contained in the table rather then on a flat surface.
We also put things like legos and marble works into the table
Xmeliss06X is offline   Reply With Quote