Help

ARCHIVE

listening center

>

Mrs.B

listening center
Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you have a listening center in you classroom? Someone donated a bunch of books on tape but we don't have a center. I've seen some pretty fancy ones but I was thinking about just getting a tape player and a couple of headphones. Do your kids enjoy it?

Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

I Do... An Easy Way...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Keep It Simple: I simply use a tape player & allow 5 students(1 group at a time) to gather around the tape player on the carpet to listen to the stories. This way I can monitor the progress of the story while I am working w/ another group.

In the past: I had a fancy wooden listening station(on wheels) that had headphones and space for the books/tapes. However, I wanted more space in my room so I chose the approach I described above.

After listening to the stories, my students are held accountable (to ensure they are listening & not playing around )by drawing/writing a response to the literature.

They love Listening Station
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

melons

Favorite
Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

THe listening center is one of my students favorite areas to go to..It is also a great center because they can be independent of you and they are working quietly...I use this as one of my readers workshop centers while I am doing guided reading.....When they are through listening I have them draw the characters, setting, favorite part....I sometimes record my own stories and question the students through out the story....
melons is offline   Reply With Quote

annieburto

My Kids Enjoyed It!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used my listening center as part of my classroom library. I just had a tape recorder with two headphones and would change out the story tape/book sets each week. I found that to be easier for the kids rather than have them changing the tapes, etc. I color coded the keys on the recorder. Green for play, red for stop, and a yellow sticker with a backward arrow for rewind. When my kids finished listening to the book tape they could then use the classroom library materials.
annieburto is offline   Reply With Quote

sanityo4ated

Storage idea.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I kept it all (tape recorder, earphones, books) in a wooden tool box that I could move around as I wanted and it kept it fairly neat and tidy.

sanityo4ated is offline   Reply With Quote

toot89

Students love it
Old 07-27-2009, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have always had a listening center (17 years) and it is one of my students favorite. I use it as one of my rotation centers. I have the tapeplayer and 2 headphones on the middle shelf of a rolling cart. The tapes and books are changed weekly according to what unit/topic we are working on for that week. The bottom shelf is a great storage space for my tub of books and tapes. I hope this helps...have fun with it.
toot89 is offline   Reply With Quote

momofmax

An Old Student Desk
Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

with the hinged-top removed is what I use for my listening center. I spray painted it and have 4 heavy duty milk crates flipped upside down and tied on chair cushions for seating. The CD/cassette player and current book sits inside, the headphones rest neatly on the seats. I have a pocket chart that houses previous books & tapes for re-reading.
momofmax is offline   Reply With Quote

primary.peel

mine is permanent
Old 07-28-2009, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

i have a small table by the classroom entry door with my tape player, a small display box for a few books and tapes at a time, and three headsets hanging on hooks on the wall above the table (sticky hooks from the dollar store). as long as i rotate the materials fairly often, it is a pretty popular spot at free-choice activity time.
primary.peel is offline   Reply With Quote