Help

ARCHIVE

What Do They Write In?

>

GoldiTeaches

What Do They Write In?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you have your Kindergartners write in for Writing Workshop? Comp. notebooks? Primary comp. notebooks? Do you just given them the loose story writing paper and they don't need a notebook???

GoldiTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Story Paper..Then Place In A Writing Folder
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I give by students story writing paper. Then, after they share their writing from the authors chair, they place their writing in a paper folder (the portfolio style w/ 2 pockets). I teach them that the newest journal entry goes on the top.

I have tried other ways, but sometimes they wrote on the wrong page, wrote on several pages, "Flip though the notebooks. etc.

Last edited by Dr. A; 07-28-2009 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: ETA
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.B

notebooks
Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year I used spiral notebooks because I found a ton of them on sale. At first I really monitored to make sure they weren't skipping pages. As the year went on most of them were writing the date at the top of the page. I tried binders one year but the pages kept falling out. I think I'll use spiral again because I have alot of them left.
Mrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote

ShyMiss

Lines?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know I read on a pp that the lines in the spirals don't bother her kinders; do you find this as well? I was planning on making journals w/ blank paper and a piece of construction paper for the cover stapled together. Yet, I have seen a lot of posts about spirals on sale. I am still undecided.
ShyMiss is offline   Reply With Quote

mossgirl9

Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I get 10 sheets of story book paper and fold it in half then I put a piece of construction paper on the outside to create a journal. I use the Houghton Mifflin journal pages to put on the outside. My students learn with the lines.

mossgirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote

ShyMiss

mossgirl9
Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will be using Houghton Mifflin reading in my new position this fall. What are the HM journal pages?
Thanks for your response.
ShyMiss is offline   Reply With Quote

KBTeacher

Writing Workshop
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For journal writing I staple plain white paper inside the larger manila construction paper to make it look like a book. I then have the kids write "My Journal" on the front and decorate it any way they want. For everyday writing, like letter or vocabulary practice, I let them write in their spirals and date each entry. They are required to bring spirals as part of their supplies and I feel that if the parents are spending their money, I should use them in some way. I do not make a big deal about staying within the lines, but by mid spring most of them get pretty good at it.
KBTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Agree with Shymiss and KBteacher
Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Research says that kinders should not have lines at the beginning of the year. So use blank paper journals to start. Later in the year, introduce primary paper that corresponds with your handwriting program. They will need to know how to write on primary lined paper for first grade or the first grade teachers will go nuts!!!
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

k-tchr

Journal pages
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I start with blank paper and gradually add lines as the year progresses. I staple 5-10 pages together for a little "book" and 3 hole punch them before giving them out. They decorate the cover (a colored piece of paper). As they complete a journal, I put them in a 3 ring binder they bring to school. We seem to waste less paper this way and they love to complete a journal and start a new one. The binders are great for assessing their progress and parents love to see them at conferences and the end of the year when they go home with my students.
k-tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Katie06

K-Tchr
Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like that idea about putting the journals in the notebooks to save. That will help me to organize their work! I do my writing very similar to you. I have pre-stapled papers together for them to use with no lines at the beginning then I gradually add lines for whatever level writing they are on. I've heard some research about the importance of stapled papers and how it promotes writing that is more like stories. I staple about five pages together. Although it is a lot of paper I have noticed it has actually decreased in paper usage from when I just gave them one sheet at a time.

Katie06 is offline   Reply With Quote

mymunchkins

Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just use the wide ruled spiral notebooks. I get them at Target when they are 10 for $1.00.
Most kids ignore the lines. Later in the year, some of them use them.
mymunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote