Help

Math & Science

Kinder-Matter

>

jkcox

Kinder-Matter
Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I teach Kindergarten and am looking for ideas on how to teach matter. The questions are: How do we describe and sort matter? How can we change matter? How can heating and cooling change matter? Thanks in advance for any ideas/activites/sheets.

jkcox is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

THings that come to mind: project with icecubes....melt one icecube in the sun, and one in regular temperature, see which one changes quicker.

Playdoh....I used that to teach matter to 3rd grade. It's the same matter, but you can change the shape of it.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

MorningCoffee

Physical/Chemical Change
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

To introduce the states and changes of matter, I did a lesson based on the story of the Gingerbread Man where we made our own gingerbread man together. I used a gingerbread box mix and the students helped me add and mix the ingredients. We covered solids and liquids and chemical change through this activity. I pretended to take him to the oven, but actually had one all made up and decorated in another room that I grabbed to show off at the end. While we waited for the dough to cook (and go through the chemical change), I gave them brown playdough and introduced physical change to them. They shaped gingerbread man friends for the one that was cooking. They loved the entire activity and I let them taste our finished gingerbread product.

I bulked up the activity by integrating math into the recipe, counting as we added ingredients, talking about tools a baker might need, and I even brought in a piece of ginger root for them to observe and smell.

The following week, we covered the 5 senses by popping popcorn, which gave me a chance to reinforce chemical change by observing the kernel change in to a piece of popped corn after being heated. They were all able to remember chemical change from the gingerbread man lesson.
MorningCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote