Help

ARCHIVE

Heel spur/plantar fascitis

>

luvbeagles

Heel spur/plantar fascitis
Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have either/both of these? I was recently diagnosed. Dr. is trying a few things first but is recommending shoe inserts. I refused the cortizone shot (don't like needles). Haven't gotten the inserts made yet. Wondering if you have special inserts or just purchased some from a store? What type of shoes do you wear for teaching? I am on my feet all day long -- I rarely sit down. Any other input would be nice....

Oh, I am allowed to wear tennis shoes to work in, so that is good

luvbeagles is offline   Reply With Quote

jessicamae3

Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My mother swears by those magnetic bracelets around her ankle. Her pain is gone!
jessicamae3 is offline   Reply With Quote

kattlyn

plantar fasciitis
Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

yes! I would come home from work limping and in tears--most horrible time!! Although I did get inserts from my doctor, I now wear some birkenstock inserts in my tennies --there are many diff. inserts you can get from just about any of those foot stores all around--mine from dr. were never that great --BUT he did send me to a phys. therapist and HE showed me many diff. exercises to do--did them every day for 4 mths --my oldest sister still does the exercises daily (a lot of us in my family have been afflicted w/it!!)
One of the most impt things my doctor told me was that it wouldn't heal until i was off my feet for two weeks--have to get rid of swelling--made sense to me--so i did it right after school was out--very diff to do, i might add.
Personally, I believe that once the nurse at my doctor's office mentioned Birkenstock sandals, that's when i got a pair--used to laugh at people who wore those ugly things--now I call them my savior!! If I wear shoes of any kind to work, i immediately put my sandals on when i get home (w/socks in wintertime--it's just around the house,anyway).
My younger sister is pain free now after a year--she got those z-coil shoes - but now is back to wearing what she used to wear--she thinks it was spurred by her vacation where she had lousy shoes and walked everywhere all the time.
Good luck. I can pm you w/expl of exercises if you want.
kattlyn is offline   Reply With Quote

middlemac

I have this
Old 07-29-2010, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have had this...and when I first got it, I had physical Therapy. Mine had to do with the muscles in the back of my leg not stretched enough... I did a stretching exercise .... You actually stretch your calf muscle.
You get about 2 feet from wall and have one foot close to wall and the other 2 feet back. The back foot ...you are on toes ..and press heel to floor...you should feel quite a pull. They also suggested ..... roll a frozen bottle...probably of water... and roll you foot over it.... relieves pain...
I have since worn only good tennis shoes with foot inserts to help with heel and arch... I get inserts from Walmart... Usually the gel kind. I also wear Merrell slip ons shoes ....Your shoes cause a lot of the problem. If I wear other shoes, it comes back and I do exercises again. I haven't gotten it for years.... because I wear shoes that work.
I wear New Balance or Nike tennis shoes.. Just Watch the arch...make sure it has one or get an insert that adds. It should support the foot. I don't spend a lot on the tennis shoes... Usually on sale. Hope this helps.....
middlemac is offline   Reply With Quote

merickson97

bad shoes
Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was to the point where I couldn't hardly walk when I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I started wearing my tennis shoes ALL the time and it went away.

merickson97 is offline   Reply With Quote

CHenard

Old 07-29-2010, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have both. I had specially made inserts and to be honest I think it was making my feet worse. I went to a new dr. and he told me to throw the inserts away. I think losing weight has helped more than anything although my new dr. said p.f. usually goes away or gets much better after about a year so I don't know if it was time or losing weight but my feet are MUCH better. The weird thing for me is that my feet do much better when I wear about a 2 inch heel (like wedge or platform) with no back. It's something about the way my foot is shaped. I spent years not buying heels since my feet always hurt but found that the flat shoes were worse for me. Good luck to you, I know it can hurt a lot.
CHenard is offline   Reply With Quote

phillycms

I had it.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My doctor recommended the boot for the PF. I did the boot and wear danskos now. I haven't been in pain for years. I can wear the dankos all day without any problems, my feet also do better in a 2-inch heel.
phillycms is offline   Reply With Quote

pearl1

hurting feet
Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sister, I felt your pain but not anymore. I did the shots and did help for a while. Yes, always wear supportive shoes. What helped me was advice from a sports medicine guy. He said I must stretch my calf muscles at least twice a day for ? minutes. He used medical terms, explained the anatomy, etc. but has been several years ago. Anyway, I have just made a habit of stretching both calves when I brush my teeth. At the beginning I think I did it as an exercise but now I just do twice a day while brushing. I put one leg behind me and stretch for a time and then the other. I bet you could google this and see pix of stretches. I hope this helps. I remember how it hurts. Good luck!
pearl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jlosun

foot pain
Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Every morning, stretch your foot repeatedly before stepping on floor.

Always wear shoes around the house.

Rotate a golf ball on the ball of your foot.

Use a iced water bottle and roll it back and forth on ball of foot.

EASY SPIRIT tennis shoes are wonderful.

It is painful, but the Cortizone shots really work. I walked in barely walking and left with no pain. The shot has a moment of pain IT IS WORTH THE SHOT
jlosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Excellent advice -- stretching that calf muscle, PT is good, always wearing shoes, but the cortisone shot...trust me, you can do it.

I have had a few cortisone shots in my feet and knees. They will spray an anesthetic on your foot, then give the shot. No pain. Sure you will feel pressure, but the seconds it takes to get the shot compared to being in terrible pain daily is really no match.

Good luck!

Hideeho is online now   Reply With Quote

blumbert

Heel spur-Ouch!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I feel for you. I had it so bad that I ended up having the bone scraped on the bottom of the heel bone. I also had to have the tendon stretched surgical in the back of the calf. I had it done last year on Spring Break and came back to work using a knee scooter. I had to use a handicap sticker to park close to school. The pain was so bad! Still have problems with numbness on the bottom of the heel because they nicked a nerve. All in all it was better than the pain everyday!
blumbert is offline   Reply With Quote

teachertam

I remember that pain!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My has gone away for which I'm thankful. And it was always in my left foot. One thing that really helped was getting really good school shoes. I went to Dillard's and bought 2 pr. of Born sandals, a pair of Born mary janes, and a gold pair of Echos. Those are both really good brands - pricey but worth it.

I also can't wear just flat shoes anymore, flip flops, or cute ballet shoes. Need a heel, or my inserts. But I have been able to wear Crocs flip-flops.

Good luck!!

Oh, the stretching helps a lot!!
teachertam is offline   Reply With Quote

mtngrl

Dansko
Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In the winter I live in Dansko's (sp). They are the most comfy shoe I could find. I also went to Wal-Mart and did the Dr. Scholls foot test thingy and it recommended a pair of inserts that I bought and my pain is GONE!!! I got a pair of Rainbow flip flips (love my flipflops but they hurt my feet) and they have good arch support in them and now my feet don't hurt.

My husband used to get onto me about buying cheap shoes (I was a Payless girl) but now that I have spent good money on good shoes... my feet don't hurt.

I know I am rambling.. sorry.

Good luck!
mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote

leemac

Been there and Done that with PF
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Take this advice from someone who is teaching beyond retirement age. I now make sure that I wear good supporting shoes such as the ones mentioned earlier on the posts. My favorite brand is Allegria (Happy Feet) which is a company in California, I think. I now own 5 pairs including two pairs of clogs, sandals, and a closed in version. I did the foot doctor route with special inserts but do not need them with this brand. I had the cortisone shot about 5 years ago and have not been bothered since then. I just had a shot in my knee yesterday and feel 100% better. I barely felt the shot, so go for it!
leemac is offline   Reply With Quote

Dina

Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've had that twice. Really painful and annoying. My doctor had me buy SPENCO inserts. They had them at the pharmacy. Not terribly expensive and after about a month, I could walk without pain.
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsozzy

Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I currently have tarsal tunnel in my foot and have not been able to walk for 3 weeks! I'm praying it will be better in 10 days when I start school.

I went to "The Walking Company," a store in our mall that carries Dansko and other brands. They told me about a new brand that is especially wonderful called Aetrex. From what I can tell, they're going to be wonderful. If you go to Thewalkingcompany.com, they always have free shipping.
mrsozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

fiona1

Had it
Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Plantar facitits is so painful- I feel for you! A friend that is a doctor told me to take Motrin for two weeks and get better suppporting shoes.Also, before I got out of bed I would stretch my feet forward etc.. to stretch the Achilles tendon. I only wear Clarks, Born etc... unless I have to be dressed for special occasions etc.. outside of school. Even then, I onlyh wear those types as short as possible. I haven't had any trouble since I followed these steps, though I don't have any experience with the spurs. Take care, spend the money on good supportive shoes- it has made all the difference even if they aren't as cute as others.
fiona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom2many

Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

The shots are painful for a second but will take away some pain. I have orthodics but still needed the surgery to release. VERy PAINFUL.
mom2many is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Yes
Old 07-29-2010, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have both. The spur is in only 1 foot. I have used inserts for a number of years and they are my life saver. I have had 1 cortizone shot in the opposite foot as the spur when the pain was terrific. It really helped. I also have had to use a nighttime foot brace and it also helps.

I can not go barefoot or wear flip flops at all. I paid dearly for that mistake last summer after a stay at the lake doing both.

I would definitely use the inserts...I can use them in any shoe but I use them all the time, even in sandals. I can use small little round circles of velcro for sandals if I need to. It is a pain but so much better than the pain.

Good luck.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

gintexas

heel pain
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My ortho surgeon told me to do the leg stretches middlemac described. If my pain comes back, I start stretching...and it goes away.
g
gintexas is offline   Reply With Quote

nrr

Mine (PF) kept coming back until...
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I took advil 4 tablets 200mg 4 times a day until pain was gone (this was hard for me because I don't take anything until my head is about to explode!) along with icing feet three times a day for 30 minutes. I put a zip lock bag of ice into a bucket, put on a sock, and sit with a good book or a tv show. I also recommend inserts called pro step. Worked for me!
nrr is offline   Reply With Quote

7/8 teacher

Old 07-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I have flat feet. I have to wear supporting shoes or my feet hurt. Rockport is the best, and I also like Naturalizer. My mother in law swears by Privo shoes, but I haven't tried them yet. The key is a supporting shoe. The only sandle I can wear for a day without pain is made by Nike. I know people that have had no pain after getting the corizone shot, so it's worth considering to not be in pain.

My husband had a bone spur and he thought he was going to have to have surgery it was so bad. He had a job where he walked around on hard floors 10 hours and no sitting and ever since he started wearing Rockports he had no pain.
7/8 teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

luvbeagles

Thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

for all the replies. I bought a pair of Spenco inserts and am looking for a new pair of tennies to put them in. I'm hoping this will help. Tired of going to the podiatrist and paying my co-pay only to have my feet wrapped up. Not sure how much longer it will be before he makes the mold for my inserts, so took matters into my own hands. Hey -- it couldn't get much worse! I am seriously considering the shots but am afraid of needles. Are the shots really THAT painful? Do they numb you before the shot? Any other advice about shots or not to take the shots?

TIA
luvbeagles is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

IMHO, the shots are NOT that painful, especially when they only last SECONDS.

YES, the dr. sprays your foot with an anesthetic before the shot.

Is it my idea of a great time? No, but it sure beats all that pain
Hideeho is online now   Reply With Quote

Melootle

Birks
Old 11-30-2014, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I have worn Birkenstocks for years! They are worth every dime. I also have problems with my feet and they are the only shoes that don't hurt my feet!
Melootle is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkietalkie

plantar fascitis
Old 12-17-2014, 01:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Was at physios during the week (for back) and noticed sporty looking tennis type socks without toes made from compression type material. Ordered a pair for my husband who has plantar fascitis. Had to order a pair in, so if you are interested can pass on details next week. At least they would go with your tennis shoes
chalkietalkie is offline   Reply With Quote

loki143

Old 07-24-2017, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I had this condition. My doctor recommended that I stretch my feet before I get out of bed and it is has stopped completely. I usually sleep with my feet pointed (yes like a ballerina- hahaha!). He suggested that I point my toes to stretch and alternate by pull the front of my foot back (toes back). You can feel the pull in your calves. It has something to do with the muscles stretching over your heel. Hope this helps.
loki143 is offline   Reply With Quote