READ ALOUD HELP! (Middle School, Schooled, Twerp, Out of My Mind) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Sixth Grade

READ ALOUD HELP! (Middle School, Schooled, Twerp, Out of My Mind)

>

Inspire15

READ ALOUD HELP! (Middle School, Schooled, Twerp, Out of My Mind)
Old 08-05-2015, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been killing myself over which book to begin the year with as my read aloud. I love using a read aloud in 6th grade because I can always tie it in with our current skills, such as plot, theme, characters, genre, etc.
HELP.
My first year I read Middle School: The Worst Years - and I have some wonderful activities to go with this, however I can't decide if these other titles might be better. Last year, I read Wonder, but this years students have already read it.

I also have considered:
Schooled by Gordon Korman
Twerp by Mark Goldblatt
Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper

I have all of these books here at home and have been trying to preview them but I just can not pick. What would be good to start the year off with? I like to send a positive message with my first read aloud. Has anyone had any luck with any of these titles?

Inspire15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bigfoot

Me too
Old 08-05-2015, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was actually thinking of starting the year with Middle School: The worst years as well, as this is my first year in grade six. I hope other respond as well, I would like to know which one would be best. Can you describe or point me to the wonderful activities you use for the Middle school book.

Fantastic thought with the tie in to providing a positive message.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Button11

Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I LOVED Out Of My Mind, and so did my 6th graders! They were so good when I would read and cheered along side the main character. I actually had a few students cry at points! This book sends a positive message about bullying to them and how everyone should be treated equally despite a disability.
Button11 is offline   Reply With Quote

acheese89

Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My Coworker (another 6th grade teacher) read "Schooled," and I was thinking of reading it this year. He said they really enjoyed it. We are lucky, because we have an extra period for reading (separate from ELA which I teach to all the 6th graders). We had time to read two read alouds, and two read togethers using classroom sets. I started the year reading "Witches" by Roald Dahl, then we read "When you Reach me" by Rebecca Stead together (awesome book). Then I read them "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" by Kate DiCamillo, and then we read "Tuck Everlasting" by Natalie Babbit together. All four books were highly enjoyed and, I thought, appropriate for 6th grade.

Of course...with the Common Core and rigorous push in reading levels, I'm a little nervous this year. My school just adopted the "Collections" curriculum, and I got to choose 3 new classroom novels, which I will use in my reading class for read togethers. One of 6th grade books that I chose was "Life of Pi," which I am THRILLED about, because it is one of my all time favorite books, but I'm worried about the deep level of content. Anyone else read this one with 6th graders before?
acheese89 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsbreezy

Old 08-11-2015, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am in the same boat! Wondering what to start out the year with but this is my first year in 6th, 2nd year teaching (last year was in 3rd). I would also love to know what activities you used with Middle School book. Sounds fun!

mrsbreezy is offline   Reply With Quote

sportzqt512

Out of My Mind!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My 6th graders love, love, LOVE this book. I read it with them every year.
sportzqt512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Leenie A.

Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
Old 10-10-2015, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I LOVE CRASH and so do the children.
I also LOVE Out of My Mind, and the kids will too.
However, this year I'm reading them Fish in a Tree.
The kids LOVE it, and so do I.
It's great to also discuss fixed vs. growth mindset.
Leenie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Katherina

Charlie
Old 10-19-2015, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Jo Jackson's Guide to Not Reading. My 6 th graders love it. It is the first book in a series and that helps reluctant readers. I believe the author's name is Tommie Greenwald. I also love Trapped in Death Cave by Bill Wallace. It is a great book to teach Plot. The first chapters--exposition--gets long, and then the good parts start! The students "get" raising action--resolution after hearing this book.
Katherina is offline   Reply With Quote