Help

Second Grade

Journeys?? HELP!!

>

HelpingKidz

Journeys?? HELP!!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We just adopted Harcourt/Houghton Mifflin Journeys and I am lost! We were told that the whole group instruction should only last 30 minutes and the small group 60 minutes. My whole group is lasting 90 minutes!! I have realized that I can't do EVERYTHING in the manual.
So...
What parts of the manual do you use/skip? I am trying to come up with a daily schedule...so we do the same things on Mondays, Tuesdays, etc.

Thanks!

HelpingKidz is offline   Reply With Quote

guest24

guest24

planning
Old 08-21-2011, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi, I would think that Harcourt would have a suggested plan in your new program. We were told by Harcourt years ago when we got our new series that the book is like a MENU. Just as you wouldn't order everything on a restaurant menu, you pick and choose what is needed by your class. I typically do something with the vocabulary, building background, and preview the story at the beginning of the week. I read the story to/with the children 2 or 3 days, work on the strategy and skill of the week for that story. Some people believe every child should read the story over and over and be tested on it on Friday. My question would be, would every child be able to read that story independently, is it an appropriate level for every child or is it an exposure to grade level material. I have even heard of a district that mandates and grades every story test - even if students have to have the test read to them! My question for that is, what are you testing?? It becomes a test of listening comprehension, nothing more.
I believe the majority of reading instruction has to be at each child's current instructional level to move their skills forward. You can not teach for learning by using frustration level materials, which many basal stories are. ( our series, 2nd grade Harcourt from several years ago, has stories which when leveled were found to be written at levels from 1.8 to 4.6 -hardly appropriate for all 2nd graders) So I say spend majority of instruction in small groups working with appropriate text for that group. My 2 cents worth.

hapteacher

Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Journey's wow we used that years ago. (I asssume it,s new improved model My suggestion, face it with a new program we are not able to get it all done. I would pick and choose they most interesting ideas for the outcomes. We have moved to Math Makes Sense I tried so hard to get everything done that I was so overwhelmed my students were too...... Just take it slow and modify you expectations to where you and your class are comfortable. Best of Luck.
hapteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Zeppelin

Journeys
Old 08-22-2011, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is what I do in 30 minutes.

Monday

A: 1. Teacher Read Aloud T14
2. Introduce Vocabulary T16 S10
3. Phonics T18
4. Grammar T22 (connect to vocabulary sentences)
5. Practice pages as time allows

Tuesday

A: 1. Phonics/Spelling dictate words on Focus Wall
2. Background T28/29 S11/12
3. Introduce Comprehension T30/31 S12/13
4. Read Story T34 S15
5. Grammar T40 (connect to story)
6. Practice pages as time allows

Wednesday

AM Phonics Assessment on own
A1. Correct Phonics Assessment together.
2.Phonics/Spelling/HF Words dictation
2. Reread selection for Fluency
3. Deepen Comprehension T48
4. Grammar T50
5. Practice pages as time allows

Thursday

AM Grammar Assessment on own
A1. Correct Grammar Assessment together.
2. Connection to Story T56
3. Vocabulary Strategy T58
4. Practice pages as time allows

Friday

AM Vocabulary Assessment on own
A: 1. Correct Vocabulary Assessment
2. Complete Comprehension section of assessment together.
3. Complete spelling test.
4. Complete any practice pages still not done.

The students do centers when they arrive. Wed, Thurs, and Frid they complete assessment first. My centers are based on the story of the week. During Daily 5 the Writing and Word Work is also based on the story of the week.
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Barb/Ohio

Journeys
Old 08-22-2011, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I follow a similar schedule as Zeppelin. We partner read the main story on Thursday. I try to get in the second reading selection on Thursday or Friday but I don't always fit it in. I give the vocabulary and comprehension assessment on Friday. My students do this independently. I do not do the phonics or grammar assessment from the Journeys program. I do my own thing there.

Zeppelin ~ Do your students ever take the comprehension section of the assessment on their own? Do you take grades from the assessments the kids checked together?

Barb/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss SY

New Teacher-similar schedule
Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Zeppelin,

I am a new teacher to second grade currently trying to figure out the Journeys program myself. I love the way you structure your reading block. Could you elaborate more on the centers you use Wed-Friday to accompany your reading instruction? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Miss SY is offline   Reply With Quote

Zeppelin

Journeys
Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry, I was away.

Actually, I have just moved to second grade this year after 13 years in first. I follow what the directions say for the comprehension. In first it says teacher reads questions. I would hope in second grade they can read the comprehension on their own. I give a grade for all the assessments. Nice to have them for parents.

Zeppelin

Journeys
Old 08-26-2011, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sure - During the reading block I have Read to Self, Word Work, and Read to Someone which are all part of Daily 5. I do writing seperately. I might have listening here and there. Since I am looping with my class they had listening with a different story every day last year so they have heard most of the stories - not that they couldn't hear them again.. If you don't know Daily 5 get the book. It made a tremendous difference in reading scores at the end of the year. They do the same schedule everyday. I have 4 reading groups which are taught at their level and I have them for 15 to 20 minutes everyday. The word work might include which is all based on the story and skills:

Spin and Spell
Word Find
ABC Order
Grammar Activity
Crossword Puzzles
Langauge Boxes
Sequencing
Vocabulary activity
Making Corrections to a story ( Here is the one for H and M)

Henry and Mudge

Making Corrections - Fix and then Rewrite

henry had know brothers and no sisters Henre had no friends on her street He wented a

cat His parents lookt at there house wif no brothers and sisters. Then thay looked at

Henrys fase. He culd hav a cat. mudge had flippy ears, knot pointed. mudge had straight

fir, not curly Henry growed out of his puppy cag. He growed out of her dog cage

When he finally stoped growed he weighted one hundred eight pounds, he stood tree feet

tall, and he drooled.

I also do morning centers everyday. They might include somethings from above and also Bingo, Phonics and Grammar board games, From the Way I see It - quotes, Task Cards, to name a few. I like to have them complete centers that involve partners in the morning so they can socialize when they come in. During Daily Five the only talking from them is when they read to someone. Worked out great.

Last year I had made at least 15 activities for each story in first grade. This summer as part of my PIP (Professional Improvement Plan) and asked by my principal, I made them for all the second grade stories. Was very time consuming but fun. I alo made a scope and sequence chart although I ended up finding someone who had also done one and just added what I needed. I added all standards for my state plus I plugged in Social Studies and Science. This is actually a chart but when copied it is more of a list.

1st story

9/12 Main Selection
Henry and Mudge
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Paired Selection
All in the Family

Genre: Informational Text

Decodable Readers
We Camp
The Picnic Ants

Identify Phonemes
Syllables in Spoken Words

Phonics
Short Vowels a, i
CVC Syllable Pattern

Fluency
Accuracy: Word Recognition

Social Studies

Our Community
Unit 1

Essential Question
Why is the order of events in a story important?

Skill
Sequence of Events

Strategy
Infer/Predict

Authors Craft
Word Choice

Listening, Speaking, Viewing
Listen for a Purpose

Target Vocabulary
curly, straight, floppy, drooled, weighed, stood, collars, row

Vocabulary Strategies Alphabetical Order

Spelling Principle
Short Vowels a, i

Spelling Words
Basic: sad, dig, jam, glad, list, win, flat, if, fix, rip, kit, mask
Review: as, his
Challenge: sandwich, picnic

High Frequency Words
around, be, five, help, next, or, pull, take, until, walked

Grammar Skill
Subjects and Predicates

Writing
Write to Narrate

Writing Form
Sentences That Tell a True Story

Focus Trait
Ideas

I also do Curious About Words as vocabulary and meaning are a push this year.

Miss SY

Thank you!
Old 08-27-2011, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Zeppelin,

Thank you so much for your informative response. I am going to use your schedule the best I can to incorporate it into my weekly schedule. Your suggestions are so helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to go into detail about your reading block. As a new teacher, I just have one question about your timing so I can better understand how to schedule everything. You mentioned you meet with your reading groups every day, is that before or after your whole group lessons from the program? Thank you so much for your assistance!
Miss SY is offline   Reply With Quote

Zeppelin

Journeys
Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have 3 15 minute reading groups. I fit them in where ever I can. Two are in the morning and one is right after lunch. I love the one after lunch as the kids know exactly what to do - either they go to the reading table or they go to their center. Never a minute lost. We do Jouneys right after the last reading goup.

teacherzales

Henry and Mudge Grammar
Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi, I am new to 2nd grade and teaching a combo. The 4th Grade Group on proteacher has a spelling, grammar, vocabulary and comprehension test for each story in the Houghton Mifflin series. Does anyone have a Henry and Mudge grammar test?
teacherzales is offline   Reply With Quote

j105w

Journeys
Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I was wondering if you still have your resources. Would you be willing to share them on a site like Teachers Pay Teachers or Teacher's Notebook? Our district has just acquired Journeys and I am very interested in supplemental materials.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Janine Leiterman
j105w is offline   Reply With Quote

ShamrockKC

Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Any one have resources for the decodable books?
Feeling overwhelmed with all the components of Journeys, please tell me its OK not to do everything
ShamrockKC is offline   Reply With Quote
A.B.g1teacher

A.B.g1teacher

Amen!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I couldn't agree with you more! I hate forcing kids to take a weekly test when they can't even read the material. I read the tests out loud to the class most of the year...otherwise I would be setting them up for failure. Students that CAN read it on their own are allowed to go ahead. I get so frustrated with teachers that complain that their students are failing the weekly test. I always remind them that the questions aren't written on their reading level so they can't read them!! I learn more from my small group observations than I do from any test.
Kylie

Kylie

Journeys 5 day Lesson Plan
Old 11-25-2016, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hello, does anyone have a 2nd Grade Journeys 5-day schedule and lesson plans? I am really struggling knowing what I have to each day and for how long during a 90-minute block.

MAMASUZE

Our Journey's schedule
Old 11-27-2016, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

For our second grade, we found that there was just too much stuff to get it all done in one week. We decided this year to stretch the story out over 8 to 10 days. This gives more time to focus on the story and skills for a longer amount of time, then focus on the grammar skills the next part. Our team has decided to do small group phonics daily, especially with the lower kids, and only a mini lessons with the story skill. I try to do a 10 to 15 minute mini lesson with the story skill. So far this year it has worked more smooth and not as much frustration. The high group also has a lit group going on with a chapter book, that way they have their needs met at a night level.
MAMASUZE is offline   Reply With Quote

Kimdisney

Question for Journeys users
Old 12-18-2018, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Can anyone tell me if there is an option when taking the tests online to have the test read aloud for my struggling readers who have accommodations?
Kimdisney is offline   Reply With Quote