Help

Kindergarten

Sharing resources

>

happykids

Sharing resources
Old 07-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to try something new this year. Wouldn't it be great to have a closet of shared resources for a team to choose from?
I have a team that I am not quite comfortable with. However, I want to be a team player. I wanted to suggest we "pool" some of our games and puzzles and toys together. If we store them in one spot and share them, I think it could be a great thing.
What are your thoughts?

More info:
*some of the stuff I would pool is bought with district/grade level money, some my own.
*Two of the teachers don't allow much "play" in their rooms. This could change that!
*I am afraid stuff would not be taken care of by everyone.
*I am afraid of stuff being taken, but then not returned. Thus there wouldn't be as much stuff to keep rotating. (One teacher, has a block center, but does nothing to change it. It is the same dozen blocks all year)
*I have bought many things with my own money and others on my team are critical (and sometimes mean) about that. It makes me not want to share. (Most of it is garage sales,but they think I should not spend my time or money outside contract)
*There are things of mine I don't want to share (I want my Dr. Seuss games out during his birthday. I have lots of other activities that connect with them)

Maybe I am talking myself out of it?

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't do it because due to mostly the kids,I would not see my materials taken care of very well. I teach a procedure for every activity and I would have no guarantee that the other teachers would do the same.

I would not worry about what other teachers do,have or think about what I am doing or have for my classroom. If you want to be more comfortable with your team,relax and listen a lot. Be sure to attend any collaboration opportunities.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It sounds like this change would make you less comfortable not more. It also would not likely help with social side of your team.

I did a quick google search - I think a more effective approach would be these tips:
https://www.bustle.com/articles/1816...ble-around-you
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 07-13-2018, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you all...think I will stick with my own system and share when asked.

I am a bit skeptical of my team, but want to work together.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-14-2018, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My team has some shared resources, but we are a team that works very well together and respects each other's things. However, there are many things - either that I'm attached to, use regularly, or were bought with my own money - that I am not willing to share.

If you want to share, but aren't totally comfortable with lending everything to your team members, maybe find one kind of resource (games, puzzles, whatever) that you have an excess of, or find cheap at garage sales/thrift stores, and offer to share them. Then you are starting a culture of sharing and working together and can see how it goes before letting go of some of your more treasured materials.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Sharing
Old 07-20-2018, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My team has done this type of sharing, but we only did it with pencil paper, cut and paste activities. We just created files for each standard filed the activities accordingly. Everything was stored in the K planning room. We don't really share puzzles and games.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote