Help

Second Grade

Exhausting schedule!

>

fatcat6

Exhausting schedule!
Old 10-18-2018, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Due to teacher cuts etc., I have two days (Thursday and Friday) that run from 10:00 to 3:15 (with a 15 minute lunch break). I have a special first thing on both days. It is very difficult to have everything ready and set-up for the enitre day first things in the morning. I am wiped out at the end of both days! Transitions are hard and the class is extremely chatty. Any thoughts or tips?

fatcat6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

laws
Old 10-18-2018, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would check state laws, and maybe also check with your union rep. One 15 min break in over 5 hours may be against labor laws.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

schedule
Old 10-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow - I hope you can eat fast!

My special is first thing as well, so it's the last time I get a break from kids. Our lunch is with our class.

I HAVE to set up everything for the next day before I leave. It would stress me out otherwise. I have everything in weekday baskets, so it's really just a matter of pulling them out at the end of the day.

I get to school 30 minutes early, so I can get my thoughts together and make sure I didn't forget anything.

For chattiness in hallways, try doing a competition of boys vs. girls. It's AMAZING what it's done with my class. Anytime we're going in the hallway, I matter-of-factly say "Girls are up by one" if the boys are talking, etc... It's so funny because they only get a little piece of candy at the end of the WEEK (not day) for whichever wins. It's so easy and works likes a charm.

You can do something similar in classroom - group points, lots of verbal praise, etc... to cut down on the chattiness.

I hope it gets better for you!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

hoku625

Old 11-05-2018, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I try to organize my day before I leave as well and get in early to make sure everything is in its place. As for the chatty class, I try to do brain breaks during the day - go noodle, breathing, exercises, etc. to get them out of their seats and moving. (they are still chatty but it seems to help a little!)

I also try to give them a little time outside - we do simple math circles outside the classroom - count by 10's, count backwards by 10's, start at 57 and count by 10's, count by 100's, etc. I feel like 10 minutes outside helps them to settle down. I try anything to keep them moving.

If you're wiped out at the end of the day, so are they!!
hoku625 is offline   Reply With Quote