Resign or Labeled non-renewed

>

Mae Mavros

Mae Mavros

Resign or Labeled non-renewed
Old 02-27-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I'm a first year teacher and my administrator just informed me I would not be renewed for the next year. She said I had the option of resigning or being labeled "non-renewed". I was too upset to ask what it all meant and now am just at a loss. What do the two mean? Will one affect my pay/insurance? My contract is until August, but if I resign will I be giving up my insurance and pay through the summer? I just am not informed or knowledgeable about any of this and need help/advice please.

Thank you

Testyteach

Resign ASAP
Old 02-28-2019, 12:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would resign asap. You don't want a nonrenew on your record to explain to other potential employers. You will still get all the benefits until your contract is up. Look up example ones on Google and do it in a nice way. You don't want to burn any bridges, so do it in a professional way. When this is done, you can feel a sigh of relief and look for a better position. It may be a little while, but I know you'll look back and be glad you left.
Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Also...
Old 03-01-2019, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Continue to do your best work and hold your head high. You can still get a positive letter of recommendation from your principal, which will help you as you seek your next position.

Keep being the professional you are- it will be noticed.

Best of luck to you.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacherguy

I've been there
Old 03-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mae Mavros,

I really feel for you; I was in the exact same position in my first year of teaching, and it's a tough spot to be in.

I would second Munchkins and suggest that you continue to do your job and see it through to the end of the school year/contract.

A non-renewal doesn't mean you won't ever get to teach again. It doesn't necessarily look good on an application, but it's not the end of the world. How much it impacts your ability to get another position next year or within the next couple of years will be greatly determined by the demand for teachers in your area. If districts in your area are in need of teachers, they will be much more likely to give you a pass on this. If, on the other hand there isn't a great need for teachers near you, it could be a while before you get another position.

Regardless of the job market, a completed contract with a non-renewal will look a lot better than leaving it off of your resume/applications and trying to explain away the missing year or admitting that you walked out. Besides, principals are people too, and most (some?) understand that sometimes first year teachers are thrown into the deep end of the pool without the support they need.

I would recommend finishing out your year, reflecting on why it is you were non-renewed if was due to evaluations or actions on your part, and being honest with principals if they ask.
mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I didn't see this when you originally posted, so you may have already made your decision. If not, something to keep in mind is that all applications (at least any that I've seen) will have a question that says "Have you ever resigned in lieu of non-renewal?" Therefore, just resigning will not help you.

You could try asking your P if you can resign and not have to answer "yes" to that question on applications- meaning that P is agreeing to not tell people in reference calls that you were actually non-renewed. I'd ask if there is anything you can do to get a letter of rec as well.

From what I've read here, in most places if you resign you can't get unemployment. In a previous district that non-renewed almost everyone on a yearly basis, they gave incentives for people to resign instead and actually said they would not contest your unemployment if you resigned, but would if you took the non-renewal. These might be questions to ask HR or a union if you have one.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 03-31-2019, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Resign still is better, but finish out the year (unless they don't want you to), but employment apps are tricky nowadays. They specifically ask on the app if:

"you've been given the choice to resign as a result of being non-renewed?"

or something to that effect, so they all know what that means...unless a person lies and says NO and the employer finds out later that they lied. So, I don't know how non-renewed teachers can make themselves not look bad on the initial employment application anymore.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 05-09-2019, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

None of my applications in my state ask anything about nonrenewal and nonrenewal is like the kiss of death around here it seems. Even with a resigned people suspect nonrenewal if u were only at a school 2 years
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

resign/non renew
Old 05-11-2019, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hmmm. Nonrenew here can mean loss of job through reduction in force (RIF).
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote