Help

The Job Search

Vague/Generic reasons for "no"

>

mrteacherguy

Vague/Generic reasons for "no"
Old 04-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been applying for teaching positions in another state (Ohio, to be specific), and I recently received an email from the HR department of one of the school districts that said I would not be moving forward in the screening process, and then gave me a list of general things to try to improve my chances if I apply again next year.

I can't retake their application's teacher assessment "test" for one full year, but then the person goes on to say that I might want

"to attach a new resume, add experience gained, or change type of employment sought"

I just updated my resume, so that and the experience part are current. I applied for grades/subjects that are within my current area of certification and will be in Ohio once my application for certification there is approved.

Would it be inappropriate to respond to the email and ask for specifics? It would be nice to know what it was that caused them to rule me out of their screening/application process. Without knowing that, how am I supposed to actually improve things for next time?

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

substeph

how many
Old 04-04-2019, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

years of teaching experience do you have? In the one district I have been trying to get into it seems they want 3 years of prior teaching experience and I don't have it. It may be that this district requires a few years of teaching experience before you will be considered. But, it couldn't hurt to email or call HR to ask some questions. Good Luck.
substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacherguy

6th year
Old 04-05-2019, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím in my sixth year of teaching.
mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-06-2019, 11:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Does it seem likely it's a form letter? Or that the last part of it is a form letter? Sometimes they write these types of generalizations.

If it's not a form letter, I don't think it will hurt to ask for some specific feedback, but you may or may not get it.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote