Help

Substitute Teachers

I said all year I wouldn't do it.

>

spedder1

I said all year I wouldn't do it.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got a call from the principal at one of my favorite schools. I love subbing there. The AP is a former Special Ed AP of mine. Anyway, of the 3 self-contained special ed rooms, the 5th grade is the toughest and the students are giving the teacher a run for her money. She has poor classroom control. I have subbed in there for an hour and a half and it was difficult. The principal asked if I would finish out the year in that room as a teacher support staff person. That way I get paid as a teacher, not a sub. I am also to mentor her. We have talked.in the past and she was very negative. A friend who worked with her several years ago told me that she was horrible back then. It is only 37 days. It will pay off my cruise and help me go on another.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

What are you going to do?
Old 04-06-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would be tempted, only 37 days and you get paid a real salary to be a support. It might be difficult to work with her, but it would help the kids and it’s good money.

What’s your decision?!? Curious minds want to know!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 04-07-2019, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

To pay for a cruise? I'd probably do it unless I felt there were safety issues in the room (violent kids or medical issues I didn't feel qualified to handle). She probably will resent the mentoring unless you have a magic way to approach it, but it's temporary!

Last edited by Lakeside; 04-07-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

SubHuman

Old 04-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So who is in charge of that room, ultimately? Are you supervising the teacher or simply assisting, acting as co-equals or do you ultimately report to the teacher? If the relationship, ie chain of command is not clear from the beginning you are inviting chaos. Otherwise, seems like a great deal for you.
SubHuman is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Answering the questions
Old 04-07-2019, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I did take the job. I will be subbing for the teacher tomorrow, which was prearranged months ago. Starting Tuesday I will start as the support person. I will not be teaching the class. I will be there to assist with activities, give suggestions, etc. She does provide work for the students and does teach somewhat, but some of the children would do better with hands on activities, repetition of lesson, but not with same materials, etc. The room setup is not functional. These students need seats that provide movement. She got rid of all of the movement seats and they are all in regular chairs. When I was in there I let the kids sit on the floor or even lie down on the floor to work, as long as they weren't messing around. The kids shout back and forth across the room during instruction. They need to not only read the rules that are on the wall, but follow them and have them tell the teacher and the class what rule they are breaking and why. The position is unique in it will be what I make it. I may just be another paraprofessional or a shoulder for her to cry on. I guess I'll find out.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 04-07-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Please post updates. 37 days is very doable, especially since on day 38 ( or whenever your cruise is) you can shout, “Calgon , take me away!”
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

good for you!
Old 04-07-2019, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

They are so lucky to have you! I know you will make a huge impact in the short time you are there. Keep us updated! You are the busiest retired person I know!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote