Help

Substitute Teachers

So annoyed

>

substeph

So annoyed
Old 04-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went to a new school today for a half day assignment. I arrived 10 minutes early, signed in, and went to the classroom. Teacher was outside hanging things up. She says "oh I'm not taking the half day I'll walk you to the principals office to see where he wants you to go". When we get there he's like oh I don't have anything sorry.

So, I basically drove out there for nothing and don't get paid Not a good day for subbing. Has this ever happened to anyone on here?

substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 04-09-2019, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This subject comes up frequently, and it's one of the most annoying parts of subbing. When it happens, most schools will assign you to another room, have you assist other teachers, help in the library, etc. I would definitely let your sub coordinator or administrator know, and if they have any class, they'll pay you for the half day. If they don't, I'd look for other places to sub.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Should be paid
Old 04-09-2019, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's happened to me, and I've always gotten the half day if it's been cancelled. Showed up for a full day job, and got a half day pay too.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-09-2019, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district always gives us the benefit and we would still get paid.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't think our district does anything to pay substitutes in a situation like this. However, as the teacher - unless there were weird circumstances, I would give the sub my class and find something else to do. It just doesn't seem right to do that. However, at my school, some of our subs who sub basically because we need them. Some would be bine with going back home.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes this has happened, and has cost me about $500 over 12 years, in addition to another $400 for other "negligent" acts.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One day I arrived early and had already prepped and read through the lesson plan only to get a call from the office saying the job had been given to another sub by mistake. Even though I arrived first, they gave him the class! I was offered clerical work in the office instead. I wanted to get paid for my time, so I accepted even though I really dislike filing. At least they offered me work, and paid me at my regular rate.

I may sometimes get a different assignment, but fortunately I've never been sent home. Schools always need extra help.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-09-2019 at 03:38 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

InTheZone

Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, it has happened to me. It's an awkward situation (unaware placed into) that usually happened at least twice a year. Most of the times it occurred because the office staff put in the assignment wrong for a teacher. One of the most awkward ones for me was when the teacher's favorite sub was already in the classroom as I arrived for the same job. I was going to the teacher's classroom and got turned around by the classroom teacher still on campus to fix the mix-up in the office. I don't fully understand how that happened. They offered me an alternative job, which was kind. I was so happy I could kindly talk myself out of the job given. That day I really wanted to be in the classroom, not file for six hours in somebody's office. The following jobs were given to me on those days: floating sub job, fill-in a vacant sub job, office work, and volunteer work. I always appreciated an alternative job given, but I appreciated it even more when it was given like an option. Some jobs given put me in awkward situations and I rather be home.

Last edited by InTheZone; 04-09-2019 at 06:25 PM..
InTheZone is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 04-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Once I ended up stuffing some envelopes for the special ed dept. for a while. Eventually, they emailed teachers who were behind on writing up their case conferences. They told them I was on the way to cover, and they were to use that time to type them up.

One other time they called around and found a nearby school who could use me.

I would complain loudly if they made the error and expected me to just go home with no pay. They would go on my 10-foot-pole list.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 04-10-2019, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Several years ago I picked up two half day jobs; morning at a middle school, afternoon at an elementary. I had 45 minutes to make a 25 minute commute.

When I arrived at the elementary school (early) I was to told that the job had been canceled. I told the office that it was still in my Aesop account, they informed me (rather firmly) that the job had been canceled.

As I am walking back to my car, Jobulator alerts me to a job at a school a good distance away from where I am now. I check my email, sure enough there is the "you have been removed..." email from Aesop. The school canceled the job after I got there.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 04-10-2019, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It has happened to me once where I did not get paid. It has happened in other districts but they always sent me someplace in the building. The teacher had jury duty cancelled and the normal secretary who would have cancelled the job was out. The teacher was obviously at fault for not cancelling the job herself. It is a 20 mile drive each way.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 04-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If a mistake is made in my district and the full day job is not cancelled we are entitled to a half day's pay, but they will try to find a job for you elsewhere. Recently I showed up for a requested job and the teacher came in the room apologizing profusely because she had forgotten to cancel. She said the district had other jobs or she would use me for a half day because she felt terrible. I said I would stay for the half day. I actually only ended up being with the students for 1 1/2 hours because of other activities. Let me tell you, a half day's pay was justified for that 1 1/2 hours.

I've also been sent home with 1/2 day pay a couple times because of aesop mistakes.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
subasaurus
Old 04-11-2019, 05:18 AM
This message has been deleted by subasaurus. Reason: Double post

subasaurus

Happens to me a lot.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wish they'd cancel in advance instead of wasting our day. Annoying indeed.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

substeph

yes just
Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

wondering did any of you go back to that school? It was a first time there for me but I see openings here and there but for now I'm not going back at least for a while because I have other schools. But it did seem like a nice school in a great location but if the principal's not going to help out then it's most likely a no.
substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

InTheZone

Old 04-11-2019, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

The mistakes were not done to be malice towards me. I strongly dislike that type of day because I'm put in an awkward situation. Yes, I have went back to those schools and had great days there. I have even subbed for some of those teachers again (one teacher specifically gave me another job), and they fondly remembered me. The experience I shared was the most hurtful for me because of how I found out about the mixed-up. I conveniently forgot the teacher's name I was assigned to sub for that day. I never met that teacher before that encounter, and I don't think I ever interacted with her again even though I went back to that school. I don't think the teacher was trying to be mean to me, but it was not inviting. Basically, it was just an experience I wish I never had.
InTheZone is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-12-2019, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
Teacher was outside hanging things up. She says "oh I'm not taking the half day I'll walk you to the principals office to see where he wants you to go". When we get there he's like oh I don't have anything sorry.
I just remembered a similar experience I had some time ago.

I checked in at the office and entered the 3rd grade classroom only to find the regular teacher there. She was upset and agitated because she said she was expecting her fav sub to arrive instead. She told me I needed to get another assignment from the office.

I returned to the office and was told that the teacher was mistaken and that I was the assigned sub. There were no other assignments for me. When I returned to the classroom, the teacher's fav sub showed up too (the teacher had called her while I was at the office). The office had also told the fav that I was the assigned sub.

The fav sub explained that she had not gotten any notification about the job. Turns out the teacher had forgotten to request her! The teacher also didn't have any lesson plan prepared because she expected her fav to make a lesson plan (another reason why she was so agitated).

The teacher had treated me rudely and wasted the other sub's time (the other sub got no pay and no other assignment), but the teacher didn't even apologize for her mistake! The teacher was in and out of meetings all day and (due to no lesson plan) popped in frequently to issue verbal instructions and micro manage. Really irritating day!

Needless to say, I never accepted another assignment with THAT teacher! (I have to wonder if the other sub did either.)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-12-2019 at 09:11 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-12-2019, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This happened to me yesterday. Got the job at 8pm, the sect calls me as I am going into the office. She made a mistake and told me the teacher had gotten a retired teacher in the same subject area, but that she had messed up and put the job in Aesop. She was really nice about it, but I had fought rush hour traffic to get there. My options were that I could have had the other teacher sent home( but he was already in the room), take a half day paid or choose another assignment. I had to call the sub office and she had to list what jobs there were. Luckily there was another hs job, but it took me 45 min to get there as it was still rush hour, and I missed most of the first period. It actually ended up being a good day for me, but it was really annoying. I canít imagine having them remove the other teacher either. That just sounded like an awkward situation I didnít want to get into.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote