Help

The VENT

New student... but not

>

ellenroo

New student... but not
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, so a student got moved to my classroom. With 5 weeks to go I thought this was super strange. But I thought he maybe moved districts. Still weird. But whatever.

Come to find out, he hasn't moved schools. They just moved his class. When I went in and ran a report card for him he's registering grades for being in the previous 9 weeks of my class. I'm really bothered about it. I went to the P and asked about him getting moved to my class and he just said "Yeah, we're gonna take care of him. He just couldn't be in his other class any longer. Just set him to the side and give him something to do. He'll be out soon enough." I'm SO super uncomfortable with this. And they just passed out contracts yesterday. And I really need a solid job for next year. But this makes me on edge.

ellenroo is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-18-2019, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have kids moved from one room to another. I'm not sure what the issue is. Usually they're moved because of a parent complaint. What about this situation is bothering you?
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 04-18-2019, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The fact that they put grades in for him not being in my room. It's a small high school. He shouldn't be getting grades for the last 9 weeks when he hasn't been in here. They've moved students from one class period to another, but they were all still my students. But I've never had this kid before.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yeah, they shouldn't have put grades in. That's just wrong. I'm going to assume you don't have a union because no admin in a union state does stuff like this.

I guess you could quietly contact the state board of ed and ask what your options are or let it go and document everything in case something comes back to bite you. I'd also keep all email correspondences with the P. I'm hoping all of this was done via e-mail.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Unfortunately the conversation with him was had in the hallway when I dropped off a tardy in the office. There are actually union reps here. I have to rejoin cause something happened with my membership. They're very active in this area though. I'm going to get some email documentation though asking about the grades I think. And I'm going to get that membership reinstated and call them asap.

Keltikmom

New student
Old 04-18-2019, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Something’s hinky here. The P may be doing someone a favor, but he should be more transparent with you.

No way should he be getting grades if he wasn’t in school and certainly not on a report card that says you gave him the grades. Do the union thing soon.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Trying to give the benefit of the doubt - is it possible the entered grades were from whichever class he had been in, and they rolled them over into your gradebook? I know it isn't likely, but maybe?

We used to have fully leveled reading classes here (elementary), and if a student moved up/down during the semester the grades in the gradebook moved with the student unless/until we actively went in and removed them.

I do agree with everyone who thinks the whole situation SEEMS shady. And perception is a big deal, so even if things are above board, it definitely should have been handled better.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 04-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would think that, except I'm the only teacher of the subject in the district. So if they put in his grades from the previous class it's still off because it was not an equivalent class.

ConnieWI

Just a Question...
Old 04-18-2019, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Can't you just go in and delete the grades that are not from your class?
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 04-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Iím not actually sure where they put the grades in at. He has grades for previous semesters which I canít fiddle with anymore.

tyrex

Old 04-18-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

At my HS when we get a transfer student we get the grade from their class at the previous school. Usually guidance emails us saying that we're getting a new student from Nearby HS or from Other State and the email contains the transfer grade.

If it's close to the beginning of the semester I ignore the grade. If it is close to the end of the semester I use the grade. If it's in the middle I will generally input it as 1-3 test grades (depending on how many tests I've given) with a note in the comments that it's the transfer grade. I try to err on the side of fairness to the student so that their final grade for my class best represents the grade they had for the majority of the semester.

I think it's very possible your system requires the quarter grade so that he can get credit for your class. I'd follow up and ask, but it sounds like there is a backstory. I wouldn't worry about it.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 04-18-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Report cards are a legal document. You are wise to involve the union asap since you are being credited (and would need to answer to ) with giving him grades when you actually did not! Falsification of documents is a very big deal. If there ends up being no recourse to fix it (hopefully that won't happen) could you do something like write in the comment section the date he entered your classroom and the fact that the previous grades were not from you? That would be a CYA comment. In CA, admin can suggest whatever they want to, grade-wise, but the ultimate grade is up to the teacher and they can not legally be made to change it, even if admin wants them to.
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 04-18-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is strange and I would say something about it. If a student transfers, from within the district, and it's the same class than we will get the students grade IF the 9 weeks or semester is almost over and it's too late for them to be assessed. However, if it's not the same subject, which is what you are saying than no we wouldn't receive a grade. That wouldn't make sense. You wouldn't transfer an English grade to a history class. Something is off with this situation or it was an unintentional error. Either way I would say something.
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote