Help

New Teachers

A word from a veteran teacher

>

broomrider

A word from a veteran teacher
Old 04-24-2019, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A couple of words actually: Start saving and/or investing for retirement, house, college for current or future kids. Especially for retirement. Many districts have an arrangement with an investment counselor. Even a small amount set aside monthly can grow huge over a 20 to 30 year career.

You'll most likely be getting a step (experience) raise next year, put part or all of it aside for yourself. The ability to retire without fear of living on dog food is an amazing gift.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Absolutely right
Old 04-25-2019, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is nice to know that you have a plan that will enable you to live comfortably in retirement. I have a friend (not a teacher) who never thought about saving any money for retirement. She is now struggling to live on less than a $1,000 a month SS.

I also recommend that you have an emergency fund. It is surprising how badly an emergency can affect your financial security.
Star-Gazer is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

You are so right.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We never thought we could save any money. Now as I get ready to retire and see how many books, CDs, units, and games I purchased, I wonder if that could have been a money market account I should have opened.
Yes, start saving now. Even if it is only a tiny bit. Invest in yourself too, not just your classroom.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Testyteach

Spend as little as possible...
Old 07-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know that it's so hard to do, but spend as little on teaching as possible. Try to budget yourself on what you buy out of your pocket and don't feel so pressured into buying all the cutesy decorative stuff. Try to get resources from other teachers that are willing to share and buy books at the Thrift Store for your classroom library.
Testyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Best financial advice for new teachers
Old 07-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I really wish I had done/ known what Broomrider is saying years ago. If I had stayed out of debt, saved, and not moved states, I could have retired about 10 years ago. ( A ton of my friends w/ more sense than me retired then or went on to do something else.)
Being new and excited about teaching is great and you may be so happy to have a job that you don't think about your older years. They will come though, ready or not. I am ready to pack it up ( really give stuff away) after almost 30 yrs.
Fortunately, I live in a tourist place where old friends love to visit because I will no longer be able to travel anymore due to finances. If you start off on the right foot financially, you'll be so thankful for it.
Heed the Broomrider's advice!

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote