Being blocked from a district without cause or merit? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Being blocked from a district without cause or merit?

>

Sarah636

Sarah636

Being blocked from a district without cause or merit?
Old 05-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a sub in a consortium of schools in Pennsylvania,
and apparently I was blocked in one district BEFORE they joined the consortium...
(no one ever told me I was blocked, I'm pretty sure I did a good job there and received no complaints)..
(and they even sent me an official letter saying they were hiring me again for the next year, and I was on friendly terms with the school board's secretary, who ensured me that I'm still an active sub in their district)
(but strangely no jobs were showing up on my Aesop account from that district)....

Honestly, it looked more like a technical glitch than anything disciplinary.

So then they join the consortium, where I'm later told they blocked me.

The consortium doesn't care about cause or merit; all they know is that I'm blocked, and they don't care why. (of course if they had a reason they would be glad to criticize me for it; but in this case they have no reason, the have NOTHING.)

I reached out to the school district's HR department (since this happened under their watch) and I politely asked why this happened, and if they would be willing to do anything about it. The HR director just said "I'll request that the consortium look into the matter"

What kind of b.s. is that? They basically just punted.

The school district can decide who they do and don't want blocked; even when they're under the consortium's umbrella, right?

Sirsubalot

Old 05-05-2019, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No union or contract equals no rights unfortunately.

It is possible just one person did not like you, and that is all it might take.

I would write a formal letter to the consortium if they do not respond in a reasonable amount of time.

Or, since the year is almost over, you might wait and see if you are back with the district next year.

If this district is responsible for a large percent of your jobs, you might consider contacting your state's labor board.

If losing this district does not cost you jobs, it might not be worth making waves due to potential backlash.

I am not allowed to go to three of the nine elementary schools in my local district, and the sub tech said last year she was not at liberty to tell me why, and that I would have to write the Principals

This failed for one school, as expected, since the principals don't know who I am.

I had had only positive experiences at each of the three schools, yet two of them I have not been to in over 15 years. I was a student at one of them in the 60's

This year when I asked again, the sub tech did not answer back.

I doubt I offended three schools, so maybe one school recommended to others I not work for them, and two of them agreed.

When I retire in four years, I will get to the bottom of this, since I will not be going back anyway.

I will write the sub tech again at the start of next year to seek reinstatement.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-05-2019, 10:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you have other schools/districts where you get work I wouldn’t worry about being blocked or excluded. I’m done trying to meet some schools impossible expectations for substitutes.

For years I went round and round with Kelly Services about being “excluded” from some schools. These were schools where I was well known, respected, and requested. Then, suddenly, I’m excluded and no one can or will tell me the reason.

I still get interviews at these schools for long term positions; I go to the interview in the hope that I might gain a contracted position from it but I am not interested in long term subbing at their daily sub rate.

This past year the principal (retired) from one of the excluded schools served as a substitute principal in another district. I had the chance to speak with him about being excluded, he had no idea that i was excluded and thought that I had gotten a teaching position with another district.

In the end we do the best job possible under sometimes very difficult circumstances. Districts can and do lie; the “learning support” position that’s really emotional support with students who can and do get violent. Or the “academic support” position that is really life skills.

Substituting is a job where we are graded by how quiet the class is or how straight the line is in the hall. Your fate at a school could be decided in a 3 second walk by observation.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote