Help

BusyBoard

Advice/vent re: moving classrooms

>

EMO109

Advice/vent re: moving classrooms
Old 05-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My coworker (same grade level, but she teaches the inclusion class at our grade level) came to me with a request for next year. Our classrooms are next to each other and the wall between the rooms opens to make one large classroom. She and her co-teacher would like to take over both classrooms, so that they each have an instructional space with a smart board, which would force me to move to a different classroom. The empty classroom is just down the hall, so in that sense, itís not a big deal. They had already discussed it with the principal and heís open to it, but at the moment, itís not a directive from him.

Obviously, if it were a directive, that would be a different story, but at the moment, they are leaving it up to me. Not sure if that will change at some point.

I can see the positives for them, but I can also see all the downsides for myself (including giving up a classroom I love and the hassle of moving and packing/unpacking). Iím having trouble seeing any positives for me, other than being nice.

What would you do? Would I be a horrible colleague (& friend, since we are friends outside of school) if I say no? Am I totally over-reacting to this?

EMO109 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 05-16-2019, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are there downsides for you besides the work? If not, could you say yes, with the proviso that they do the bulk of the work involved in moving your things?
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Rooms size?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are the rooms the same? The same size, same amenities, same layout? If they are I would agree and politely ask for help moving things. That way you look like a team player. Also, I really think that room would be a huge benefit to them if they're co-teaching whereas it's not so much of a benefit to you since you're not co-teaching. Unless, of course, the room you'd be moving to is lesser in some way.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Moving rooms
Old 05-16-2019, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is the dividing wall sound proof? If not, can you hear the other class all day? That would make me move in a heartbeat.

If the new room is 100% serviceable for you, I would do it. It would make you look really good to a lot of people, and, itís a nice thing to do. Nice matters.

Iím not sure I would ask them to help you move....depends upon your relationship with them.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 05-16-2019, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think this is a circumstance where it makes a lot of pedagogical sense for them to have your room. I think it makes so much sense, in fact, that if you say no then it will become a directive.

I think you need to agree but use your willingness as a bargaining chip--can you get a paid day to move? A day without students to pack? Or whatever makes sense.

That said, moving classrooms is the worst so I empathize.

Edited to add: I 100 percent do not think you are overreacting to want to say no, but I think you are stuck doing it. It will be better for you to agree than to be forced into it and not look like a team player.

tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-16-2019, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would agree with the understanding that they do the moving work for you. Stand up for yourself and let them know this is an inconvenience however you understand how it would help them. They need to see that it is a major inconvenience for you and that they need to do the work.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This may not be what you want to hear, but I think it will reflect poorly on you if you refuse to move. I think there's a strong possibility it will also become a directive if you say no, so the result will be the same either way. I think a lot of principals just want teachers to feel like things were their idea so they get more buy in, and may be what your principal is hoping for here (that you'll just do it so he doesn't have to tell you that you have to).

I agree with Tyrex- I'd tell the P yes, but use your willingness to volunteer as a bargaining chip. "I totally understand why this move is needed, but this is going to put a lot of extra work on my plate..." and ask for the paid moving day or whatever you want. I also think it's reasonable to ask your teammates to help.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think you need to move. Unless thereís a downside for you besides the work of moving, not doing so will look bad. Plus if you move, you earn team player points.

Iíd definitely use your willingness to move as a bargaining chip for something you want.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

MizBeetle

Moving
Old 05-17-2019, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am in agreement with other posters that being gracious is the way to go. That accordion wall would have me going. If the rooms are of the same layout, then moving might sound more daunting than it is. You said the room you would be moving to is empty so that is a plus. No need to pack. Just take things, place them on a rolling cart from your current room and place things in the same area in the new room. The big items like the desk and file cabinets were the harder part. Best of luck with your decision.
MizBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sounds like they really need your room in order to work together next year. It also sounds like the principal has given his OK to their arrangement.

Yes, it's a pain to move. Yes, the positives are all on their side, but it seems that you are not really going to have a choice in the long run, if they've already spoken to the principal. By saying "no", you will not be a team player.

Sorry that you will most likely will move to another classroom. Embrace the change!

LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 05-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
and the wall between the rooms opens to make one large classroom
Until someone mentioned otherwise, I was picturing a *door* between the two rooms. If you're actually talking about an accordian wall, I'd have said yes to the request so fast, their heads would spin.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Have your students move you- I find itís the easiest way. Each kid picks up a basket or game and you walk down as a class and put everything where you want it (itís empty, so it makes it so much easier!). Iíve been able to move my room in a few hours with the help of the kids- and I have a lot of crap!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would move because it benefits the co-teaching approach for students.

I would ask that they pack up, move, & set up new classroom.
Dr. A is online now   Reply With Quote