Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Great places in Texas

>

bGracie

Great places in Texas
Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 AM

For those of you who live in Texas or are somehow connected with Texas, what locations in Texas are nice? If you could choose anywhere in Texas to live, where would you choose and why? I'm not planning to move any time soon, but someday Texas might be an option.

bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 AM

I love living right here in DFW. So much to do all the time.
PPCDTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Old 05-23-2019, 11:14 AM

I lived in the Houston area for 18 years. I was from Iowa. I hated the excessive heat and humidity after awhile, so I would not recommend that area unless you love heat and humidity. If I were going to move somewhere in Texas it would be in the Austin area or what they refer to as the hill country. I wouldn't go to Austin but in the areas around it.
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 05-23-2019, 11:34 AM

We lived in Arlington (suburb of Dallas) for a few years and I loved it! Close enough to so many stores, events, experience, etc, but not too big city. The houses were so cheap! The weather was just cold enough to snow very occasionally, but not too cold (which I hate)
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 05-23-2019, 11:42 AM

I think it depends on what you’re looking for... the hill country is nice, if your wanting more “city” DFW has a lot of nice suburbs. We lived in North Richland Hills and I loved it there, near HEB and the “mid-cities” area (suburbs between Dallas & Fort Worth). We moved back to Tyler this summer, my hometown in East Texas. I like being closer to my family and all the trees. There are also several nice communities around Tyler.

bison06 is online now   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 05-23-2019, 02:38 PM

I live in San Antonio and enjoy it here for the most part. I would also live in the DFW area but I would stay away from the Houston area.

Last edited by NoElephants; 05-23-2019 at 05:41 PM..
NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Texas!
Old 05-23-2019, 03:32 PM

Dallas

If you like big city life this one offers so much. But traffic is bad. They are constantly doing construction to keep up with the increasing traffic however so eventually it gets better in areas. It does get both extremes in weather. You can get freezing weather and on occasion snow. The summers there are also very hot! Often reaches over 100 degrees in July and August. Many suburbs are very nice. I would probably choose to live in Fort Worth or even Grapevine so I was in a smaller area most of time but could enjoy the shopping, museums and restaurants in Dallas easily.

Houston

Houston is big city life as well. It is not as old as Dallas and for me it is easier to navigate the road system. There is bad traffic. They have a real problem with flash flooding too so you have to be careful when out and about in heavy rains.The winters are not as cold as in Dallas. But in the summer it gets very hot and because you are close to the coastline the humidity is thick most days. I lived there for 8 years and there were very few good hair days when outdoors. Just saying... if you do not like humidity this city is not for you. But again the restaurants, museums and shopping are excellent. Houston tends to be a little more causal that Dallas, like in the way people dress for nice restaurants and events. It is nice to be close to the coast and visit once in awhile, but not really the best beaches in Galveston. The medical center is great! If I wanted to live in the this area I would live in Katy.

San Antonio

This is big city life as well with tons of history and a river that runs through the middle of downtown which is pretty. It will more than likely be the most affordable of big cities in Texas. Winters are mild. Summers are brutal especially in August. Humidity is bad here too. Not as bas as Houston but still pretty bad. If you like Mexican food this is a great place to live. But there are many other offerings as well at restaurants. I lived in SA for just a year but have visited many times. It has a more casual vibe that Dallas for sure but more than Houston as well. Medical center is a good one to go to if you get really sick. Personally I would live in New Braunfels and visit SA often.

Austin

I lived in Austin most of my life. Loved it then and even now but just got too big and populated for me. I moved away after retiring. Austin is a very expensive place to live. The price of homes are high- above national average. The traffic is crazy busy. They are making most main roads toll roads and so that is an extra cost. Sorry don't know about the toll roads in other major cities. Restaurants are great. Shopping is very good in my opinion. There are some nice museums but they do not compete with Dallas and Houston museums in my opinion. The music scene is there and if you enjoy that kind of thing this is the place for you. Winters are mild for the most part. Summers are brutal hot. Humidity is often an issue but not as often as in Houston or San Antonio. Austin is in the hill country so I think Austin is prettier than the above mentioned towns. The economy in Austin is more stable than the above mentioned cities because of all the state employees and also UT employs a great many people. So when the economy dips down and becomes depressed Austin is not effected as much. Austin is all pretty central so you would be four hours from Dallas, three hours from Houston and 90 minutes from SA. If you like to attend special events in concerts or theater all over this is a great place to live because you are not far from so many options. If I were to move back to the Austin area I would live in Round Rock. It is slightly less expensive.

This website might be helpful to you for choosing the right place for you.

https://www.areavibes.com/cost-of-living-calculator/

We do have tornadoes on occasion in Texas. Dallas is at the southern tail end of tornado alley. Houston can be effected by hurricanes that hit the gulf coast.
Just a warning as it can be especially scary if that does not happen much where you live.

Last edited by 1956BD; 05-23-2019 at 09:11 PM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 05-24-2019, 05:33 AM

Thanks, everyone. I really enjoyed reading through your comments and perspectives. And thank you, 1956BD, for the wealth of info!
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Dfw
Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 PM

We live in the HEB, or Mid-cities area; not to be confused with the grocery store HEB.
We have live here for 19 years plus 2 years in Irving. We love it because we are right between Dallas and Ft. Worth, very close to the airport, and can get around WITHOUT having to drive on the always under construction highways. We are close to Arlington and all it has to offer- Six Flags, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers.

The construction cannot keep up with the amount of people moving into the metroplex. There is always traffic; not LA type traffic, but it can get bad. I'm lucky in that my husband and I live fairly close to our jobs.

It is a very large land area. It can take over an hour, without traffic, to go from Fort Worth to McKinney or Allen.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote