Which of these two evils would you choose? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Which of these two evils would you choose?

>

Sirsubalot

Which of these two evils would you choose?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This has never happened, but it easily could, so I am curious to know what choice others would make if confronted with the following scenario.

I sometimes get called with a job offer after school has started when districts cannot find subs.

What if this happens when I am too sick to work, but have no job to cancel?

Would I aggravate the sub tech and accept the job, and then call her to tell her that I only accepted the job to get the sick day I am entitled to, but cannot work, thus forcing her to to cancel the job at her end and make it available again, or, do I just lose $140 to avoid the possibility of angering the sub tech?

I would also call the school to apologize, but explain to them we need to play these cancellation games to get the sick pay we are entitled to.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Not worth it
Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't advise it. If I were the sub secretary, I would be ticked if you agreed to do the job and immediately canceled it. You would have wasted her time (twice) to game the system for your own advantage. You would run the risk of being deactivated at this school.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 04-17-2019, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What YaYa said!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Definitely
Old 04-17-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do not pull that stunt!
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-17-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I likely would not do it, but I disagree with the terminology " stunt". and "gaming the system to our advantage"

We are entitled to sick pay when we are sick, and not pulling off a "stunt" denies us what we are entitled to by law.

luv2teach2017

Old 04-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
We are entitled to sick pay when we are sick, and not pulling off a "stunt" denies us what we are entitled to by law
I also sub in CA and understand your frustration. But as I see it, this new law that grants part time workers 3 days sick leave per year is a good first step towards progress. It's not ideal, I agree. You are required to have a job for that day in order to claim sick leave. I think the idea is to help maintain a healthy workplace. It's not meant to be PTO.

I don't know what your circumstances are in your districts. But I work for only 1 district and still am able to book most of my jobs a few days in advance. I often have nearly every day booked a week or more out. So I don't need to book and cancel so I can get sick leave. Can you book further out in advance?

Last year I came down with severe tonsillitis and strep throat and had to cancel 3 classes I'd already booked well in advance. Fortunately I had all 3 days of sick leave available to use. I was really grateful to have that benefit when I was seriously ill and in need.

I agree that the labor laws are far from fair. But this new sick leave law, imperfect as it is, is a big improvement. I'd say just use it when you legitimately can and avoid drawing attention to yourself as a "trouble maker." ( In this work, that never ends well.)

If you feel passionate about it, maybe contact your local representative and state your case? Maybe see what you can do to help campaign for a better sick leave law? I'm all for that! ☺

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-18-2019 at 01:23 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for your reply.

I did notify congresswoman Gonzalez back in 2016 who authored the bill.

The reason this bothers me more than most subs is that my larger district, in my opinion, intentionally withheld the memo from us that explains how the law is implemented by the district.

Had they actually sent out this memo, I would not have lost $250 since I would have known I needed to accept a job when sick. Only one sub I talked to got the memo.

I sent Ms Gonzalez the copy of the memo the district failed to send us, and my explanation of how the system is flawed to our detriment.

She did not reply.

Had I not lost $250 due to the districts ostensible negligence, I would be far less bitter about its implementation.

Lakeside

Old 04-19-2019, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
...I am curious to know what choice others would make if confronted with the following scenario...
Simple - If I'm not available to work, I don't take the job.

I'm in a different state, so this whole sick pay thing probably doesn't apply to me at all. But quite honestly, I can't imagine purposely booking a job just so I could cancel it and force my own child's school district to pay for the same day three times - once to the regular teacher, then to me as sick pay, and again to the sub who actually works.

(And what happens if two or three other subs do the same thing as me? - Is it right for them to have to pay four, or five, or six times for the same day?)

I can tell from seeing multiple posts on this subject that you feel you are being treated unfairly, but I don't think treating someone else unfairly will fix that.

If I was a sub coordinator, it definitely would look like "gaming the system" to me, and subs who did it would move down my list.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 04-19-2019, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
The reason this bothers me more than most subs is that my larger district, in my opinion, intentionally withheld the memo from us that explains how the law is implemented by the district.
Yep. A district I had worked for tried to deny me sick leave I was eligible for because they had " misinterpreted" the law. I had to go to HR and dispute it. I got my sick pay, but I also ended up leaving that district altogether because I didn't like their questionable practices.

I believe paid sick leave is an important benefit that all employees should have access to. No one should have to go to work when ill...for everyone's sake. But as I said before, I would not advise booking and immediately canceling jobs to obtain it. That practice is bound to backfire on you.

In my view, the $250 you feel you lost is not worth stressing about. It's water under the bridge.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-19-2019 at 09:43 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 04-20-2019, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

To Lakeside,

This is why you either,

1. Pay subs for unused sick pay, or
2. Allow the sick pay to carry over and accumulate if not used.

Their use it or lose it policy is why I " game the system" as some call it.

EyeSeeTwo

Old 05-25-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wow. I had no idea there was sick pay for subs in California.

Can anyone steer me to the information on how this works?

I retired early last year due to a toxic district and principal and am now subbing to pay for health insurance through the district because I am a long ways to Medicare.

Just got another rate increase.

Glad I retired but money is tight.
EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 05-28-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The bill is AB 1522 which became law in 2015.

You can accumulate one hour of sick pay for every 30 hours you work, for a maximum of 24 hours, or three sick days per year per district.

One of my districts carries the sick pay over for one year if not used, The other two just will just start over the new year if you do not use it, so you lose it.

In one of my districts, I need to pick up a sick pay form from the personnel office, in another, I need to get it directly from the sub tech, in the third district, I simply write AB 1522 on the pay sheet, along with the job number, and mail the time sheet to the sub tech, instead of directly to payroll.

Every district is different.

Just make sure you have a job to cancel