Help

The VENT

“Is there anything else he can do?”

>

Angelo

“Is there anything else he can do?”
Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So help me... if I hear this phrase one more time...

No, there’s “nothing else he can do”. Follow the rules / expectations as they’re laid out (clearly and widely) and quit looking for loopholes, shortcuts, and alternatives.

Student procrastinates on major essay for one of his courses. Doesn’t turn it in despite repeated reminders from the teacher and messages home. The term is drawing to a close, so the teacher sends one final message: turn it in by midnight tomorrow or it’s a zero. Parent calls the student’s academic counselor (i.e. me) and wrings her hands in anguish and says “There’s just no way he can get this done by tomorrow! If he gets a zero, he will fail the course! Is there anything else he can do?” Anything else? No. It’s an essay. It was due three weeks ago. What did mom have in mind? “Oh... I don’t know... could he come in and do some sort of oral presentation on the topic? Or could you increase the value of the examination to replace the essay?” In other words... could Junior be excused from a term project every other student had to submit to complete this course successfully? No. When I tell her flatly that I don’t think the teacher will go for that, Mom’s tone turns to anger and she says, “Fine. Then tell me what YOU’D suggest.”

In another case, I blocked a student from accessing the course selection software because he kept going on trying to drop a mandatory course for his senior year. I’ve explained countless times that the course isn’t optional and got sick of having to change it back every other day, so I revoked the student’s access to the platform. Mom calls in a bit of a mood and says, “Listen, Mr. Angelo. Here’s the thing... he REALLY doesn’t want to take this class. Is there anything else he can do?” Nope. For the hundredth time, it’s a graduation requirement. Then dad calls later in the day to get in on the action. “Hi Mr. Angelo. We spoke to a family friend who works as a superintendent in Y District. He tells us that all you need to do is fill in something called a “course substitution waiver” and Junior can take something else and still graduate. I can send you over the blank form he sent me. He says you can contact him if you have questions about the process or about the state guidelines.” Ummmmm.... I already knew we CAN do course substitutions. I’m telling you we DON’T do them for this particular course. And we’re a prep school (private), so we don’t have to. Without missing a beat, Dad says, “Okay... well what if we bring you doctor’s note?” Stating what? “That Junior has anxiety and the idea of having to take this course is stressing him out and making him ill.” Seriously? And...... no. Nice try, though.

These days, it’s always on the tip of my tongue to say, “Wait just a minute... is that you again, Felicity Huffman?” I have to bite the inside of my cheek until the impulse passes.

Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
These days, it’s always on the tip of my tongue to say, “Wait just a minute... is that you again, Felicity Huffman?” I have to bite the inside of my cheek until the impulse passes.
. That is funny!

Quote:
“Fine. Then tell me what YOU’D suggest.”
. Accepting the consequences for not following through. End of story.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Angelo
Old 06-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

“These days, it’s always on the tip of my tongue to say, “Wait just a minute... is that you again, Felicity Huffman?” I have to bite the inside of my cheek until the impulse passes. “

Truly hysterical!!! The stupidity and entitlement of some parents can still astound me. I would love to follow them at their place of work for a whole day. Can you imagine the excuses and whining.

OTOH they give you a lot of story material for sharing here.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

But Mr Angelo, paying for a private school education means I am the elite privileged and can always get what I want. No consequences for not following expectations because, of course, the expectations don’t apply to me.

Geez, Felicity is true.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Jus4TheFun

Jus4TheFun

Old 06-06-2019, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Listen, Mr. Angelo.

It is unbelievable the sh!t parents can come up with to excuse their snowflakes these days. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Shame, shame, shame!

Gogogo

A doctor’s note
Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The Hail Mary pass of education — a doctor’s note. That’s pretty desperate. I am so curious ...What is this horrible course that is a graduation requirement for everyone else that would cause the poor kid such “anxiety?”
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
We spoke to a family friend who works as a superintendent in Y District. He tells us that all you need to do is fill in something called a “course substitution waiver” and Junior can take something else and still graduate
I'd have wanted to say: If District Y will do waver, and you really want a waver, then you should enroll your child in District Y for his senior year.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 06-06-2019, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just today one teacher in the team was telling us our special snowflake who has never been expected to accept the consequences of his lack of effort was told by the PRINCIPAL to let him stay today to do those pesky assignments that have been missing since April because he has a 59. Ugh. The PRINCIPAL! No wonder he's never had to accept a consequence.

Did I mention tomorrow is graduation and we are expected to attend the formal dinner for the graduates tonight?
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-06-2019, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I figure a story like this would explain the "WTF" comment written on an assignment by the teacher in that news story....I just assumed after much wheedling and complaining for another chance or a make up assignment, the student handed in a complete piece of cr*p work, and the teacher finally just had it. And decided to let him know it.
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Wow
Old 06-07-2019, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I had my own classroom I never had to deal with such privileged parents.

These days they really don't understand how school works.

Due dates aren't there as a suggestion...

Remember when parents used to hold their children accountable for their behavior? Those days are long gone.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Bet...
Old 06-07-2019, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Bet that kid with the "anxiety", rolls in with a note for PTSD, and angles to get the class dropped for something else.

My aunt is retiring from a private high school this year, and has seen it all. She teaches math. Chasing the almighty GPA is all that matters now.

She had a kid in the regular track with a solid B+. This kid was never going to get an A, because B+ is were he topped out. The parents want him now in the lowest track because the teen is "struggling".

Whelp...he came back with a PTSD diagnosis. The main trigger is this particular math track. There was a whole bunch of supports requested (including an emotional support animal) if this teen HAD to take the class.

My aunt said, "Screw it", and let him sign up for the lowest track. She's leaving, and the principal wants the path of least resistance.

There will always be doctors who will take private pay patients, and write for BS like that.

I know two psychiatrists, where I could get an ADHD diagnosis for DK. It would be for extended testing time. 3 of DK's friends got that this year (9th grade). Two parents told me, it was because if you can get an edge, why not?
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

My favorite doctor’s note
Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

was the one scribbled on a prescription pad that said, “Patient says ill. Pls defer examination. *illegible signature* MD”

That’s super helpful. Thanks a lot, doc.

Anyone can walk into their doctor’s office and report the symptoms of anxiety. Without extensive testing and differential diagnosis, how on earth can a physician have the first clue, and how do they rationalize writing an excuse note. We get families all the time who stare at us in incredulity when we say we need more documentation and testing to support learning / testing accommodations. “But we have a doctor’s note!” As they wave the flimsy prescription sheet the doc scrawled after two minutes seeing a patient with entirely self-reported symptoms.

I had a student actually explain to me once (in detail) how easy it is to fake the symptoms of concussion when visiting the doctor to ask for a note. You claim to have slipped in the shower and bumped the back of your head. Then you complain to the doctor of nausea/vomiting, light sensitivity, blurred vision, sleepiness, and irritability. And for the really determined, there are OTC eye drops that cause your pupils to dilate more than is normal. Then walk out with a doctor’s note excusing you from a test/exam/presentation. It’s become ridiculous. Or the students who try to explain that, cognitively, they are in no condition to write tests or do homework, but mysteriously are fine to play in Friday’s game or go on the senior trip.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 06-07-2019, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What gets me is the absolute insincerity if the replacement/ substitution suggestions. If the kid can come up with an oral presentation overnight, why couldn’t he come up with the essay? I can almost guarantee you that if you could actually talk the teacher into accepting an oral presentation, Mom would then come up with an excuse for why he can’t do that either. And the time for asking for re-valuing (if that’s a word) the assignment is when it’s assigned. Not AFTER the due date!
apple annie is online now   Reply With Quote

Ally

Doctor note
Old 06-07-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My favourite was a family trying to transfer to a new school but there was no room in the grade their child was in. They had their doctor write a note regarding the child's "anxiety" PRESCRIBING the school they wanted! I kid you not.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Old 06-08-2019, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

When I tell her flatly that I don’t think the teacher will go for that, Mom’s tone turns to anger and she says, “Fine. Then tell me what YOU’D suggest.”

Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote