Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Screamed at by TSA Agents

>

twin2

Screamed at by TSA Agents
Old 06-08-2019, 03:04 AM

Going through security was confusing to me. I have never flown. Nobody told me what to do. I was expected to know. I figured out to put my luggage on top of the conveyor and put my toiletries in a bin. My deodorant fell on the floor and I got screamed at because I picked it up. I thought I was supposed to keep my sweater, so I got screamed at to put it in the bin. Sorry. I didn't know. Before I went through the security thingy my husband tried to hand me my ticket and I got screamed at for that. I know they have to keep the line moving. I'm sorry, I would have got through security a lot faster if they just told me what to do instead of shouting at me. What an experience. I was so stressed I was a sweaty mess by the time I got to my seat at the gate.

The guards and then the agent at the gate treated us kindly and made me feel like they were happy to help.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 06-08-2019, 03:12 AM

Traveling is stressful and people can be rude. I agree, they expect you to know what to do, but the only way to truly know is by experience. Don't let this affect the rest of your trip. I hope you have a great time!
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-08-2019, 03:20 AM

We usually fly once or twice a year. I still do things wrong as it seems the rules can change at different airports. Don't take it personally. It's just part of the 'joy' of travel in today's world.

My favorite is when we were flying home from Dubrovnik. We were a group of about 30. The night before we were told security at the airport wanted us to put any electrical items (hairdryer, curling iron, shaver, etc) in our carryon. Being rule followers, we did. We had to change planes in Frankfurt. We were screened again in Frankfurt. There they kept saying that these items should have been in our checked luggage. We had to open our carryons and each electrical item had to be individually inspected.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 06-08-2019, 03:21 AM

Iím sorry they were rude. They do have a lot of people to deal with on a daily basis though. My Dh was a TSA agent many many years ago right after 9/11. Itís a stressful job. Sorry you were on the receiving end of their stress level boiling over. Let it go and try not to take it personally. If youíre going on a vacation I hope you have a great time!
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 06-08-2019, 03:33 AM

I travel quite a bit and I find that some airports have nice security and some are just plain rude. You can't know all the rules and procedures because sometimes the rules change daily. I live near Chicago and I think their workers seemed to be the worst. I think it is because it is an extremely busy airport, and they have massive amounts of business travelers who have the system down pat.

Don't take it personally. It happens to all of us!

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-08-2019, 03:50 AM

Like others said, donít take it personally. I only fly about once a year so what I do is carefully observe what others ahead of me are doing and hope for the best The discombobulation area is truly that! Donít let that experience spoil traveling for you. In hindsight it will add to the stories of your adventure!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Snicklesnack

Tsa
Old 06-08-2019, 04:16 AM

I donít fly very often, but in the last 3 months, I have been on 2 trips involving a total of 5 different airports. Security was different at each airport....Take shoes off/leave them on, remove liquids from bag/leave them in, etc. They did act like they expected us to know what to do, and it is frustrating. Sorry this happened to you.
Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-08-2019, 04:25 AM

And they could have better signs you could read on the process while in line?

Enjoy your trip.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Curious..
Old 06-08-2019, 04:43 AM

Does anyone use TSA precheck and Global Entry? Wonder how you like it.

It stinks TSA hassled you. The basic procedure has been around 10 years. Especially at big hubs like Chicago, Atlanta, DC, where there are a ton of business/frequent flyers, people get huffy puffy really really quick. It's not fair, especially if you have never flown before. My ILs try to fly out of the smaller regional airports, because Detroit Metro overwhelms them. They forget the procedure, and then get yelled at too.

YouTube has lots of vid regarding TSA screening. My friend, who is 70 had never flown. She was helped a lot on the what to expect part. I also printed out an sheet from the TSA website. Bonus round, I Fed Ex her extra luggage to her destination. (relatives home)

Shipping to destination is so worth it. My friend ships his stuff and only boards with a small backpack.

TSA is like the DMV. Screaming at seems to be part of the deal.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 06-08-2019, 05:24 AM

Iím sorry, but as others have said, donít take it personally. Theyíve already forgotten you, try to do the same. Youíre going to Japan, right? Youíll notice quite a difference in the Japanese equivalent of TSA. Iíve never met a more polite group of security agents.

One regional airport that I use has 3 designated linesóexperienced flyers, families and newbies. I think thatís a great idea!

My 92 year old dad and I are flying this morning. He flew extensively as a younger man but has not been on a plane since TSA was instituted, hopefully we get understandincg agents.

ETA: Tawaki,, I often get TSAPre (didnít pay for it but I fly enough that I guess Iím a known entity.) Itís nice for the shorter lines and fewer hoops but those agents really expect you to know what youíre doing.. My sister has Global Entry, she says that helps a lot!

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 06-08-2019, 05:44 AM

We have Global Entry but we fly a lot so it is worth it for us. We also fly out of Chicago O’Hare always. We don’t need to remove shoes. We don’t need to take out liquids or electronics. We don’t go through the full body scanner unless we are chosen for a random check. And special lines for international travel.

But, some TSAs are totally different. In November we were flying out of Monterrey, California, a very small airport. I also got yelled at to take my IPad out of my bag and any food. I always have a granola bar, pretzels and mints in my carry on. This is the only time I ever needed to remove those.

Don’t take it personally. Although, I admit it makes me feel like a child when they yell. Enjoy your trip.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 06-08-2019, 06:05 AM

We fly at least once a year, and the rules often change. If Iím unsure what to do I smile and ask. Some agents are nice others arenít so friendly. Iíve been frustrated by different expectations from one airport to the next, especially on the same trip.

Tawaki, we have TSA pre check. We often fly out of LAX and knew weíd be flying several times over the next few years. So far itís been worth it. We didnít do the global entry but might next time.
MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 06-08-2019, 06:08 AM

It's true - I'm sure it's a really stressful job and some of them are rude, but some are nice. DH and I flew to NY this past February; I don't think I have flown since my 17-year-old was an infant! Leaving FL (where we live) was totally fine, but leaving Newark airport there were a LOT of people in line. I was trying to do everything right and the TSA agent made me take off the scarf I was wearing just before we stuck all our stuff in the bins. I left my carry on on the ground and realized it after I went through the metal detector. It was just a few feet away and when I told the same agent, she treated me like I was the biggest idiot in the airport! I take things personally and it bothered me at first, but since I know how so many of them can be, I was able to blow it off by the time we got to the gate.

Nature of the job, I guess.....
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tsa
Old 06-08-2019, 06:19 AM

Itís not fun getting screamed st, especially when itís because ITS NOT YOUR FAULT. Like others, I have discovered routines and procedures vary from airport to airport and the signage is either nonexistent or uninformative.

DH and I were just talking about this last night. Traveling used to be exciting, now itís more like steerage on the Titanic.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Awful!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:47 AM

I was screamed at by a TSA agent at the Gainesville, FL airport. I did the same.exact thing I had.done at O'Hare. He made me.take every small item out of my bag, including items that were in the quart sized baggies. I had to take my shoes off and put them in a bin. I am on the preapproved list for flying. I pointed that out to him on my ticket. That made him angrier.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Tsa
Old 06-08-2019, 07:52 AM

I have never had a big issue with security. There is a place in my left thigh that sets off the scanner, not sure why-no metal. Think Dublin was the tightest.
My CPAP machine always gets scrutiny. I put the mask etc in clear plastic bags so they don't touch it.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

dellminiwhite

I do not fly frequently,
Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 AM

however recently took a trip to Fl, and at my smaller local airport I was told to turn my necklace around. So now my necklace is in back of my neck. I went through the scanner x ray device. When I got to the other side, they told me they needed to pad me down, for something showed up on my backside. I thought in my head, the thing that "showed up" is my necklace. I let them pat me down, and everything was ok. On my return flight, my KTN (Known Traveler Number showed up on my return ticket, and it was so much easier to go through. I applied for the KTN, through TSA in February. So much easier if you have that KTN.
dellminiwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 06-08-2019, 10:57 AM

The rudest TSA agents I ever had the displeasure of meeting were in Houston. It may be a stressful job, but that's no reason to be rude.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. Crabby TSA agents shouldn't ruin it. I'm sure they've already forgotten anyway.
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I also got yelled at to take my IPad out of my bag and any food. I always have a granola bar, pretzels and mints in my carry on. This is the only time I ever needed to remove those.
I have flown in and out of several states, and the only time that happened to me was in Atlanta! I had never been told to remove all food. That being said, I usually have a bag of almonds in my carry on (ziplock) and probably 1/4 times my bag gets searched and the almonds are the culprit.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience, twin2! They do expect that people know it, and sometimes they are really mean about it but as others have said, you do different things sometimes at different airports, so how the heck are we all supposed to know?? Sometimes we do different things at my local airport (sometimes we leave our shoes on and liquids in). I just never know what to expect...
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 06-08-2019, 12:12 PM

I went to Fl a few weeks ago and right after I showed the security my id I was putting my stuff on the conveyor belt. She yelled at me to take my shoes off. I yelled back "I know! I can only do one thing at a time"
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 06-08-2019, 10:02 PM

I've never been screamed at, but they do tend to clip out orders in a shouty voice. I think that's just crowd control.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

TSA thoughts now
Old 06-09-2019, 01:18 PM

It's easier to think differently about others doing their jobs when you consider their side of things. The Philly airport is very busy, and they have to keep lines moving or some people would miss their flight. I still think the way I was treated was uncalled for, but my anxiety magnified that.

The Japanese security at the airport was very different than the TSA. Each agent treated us very respectfully and were patient when we were confused.

Our experience with Delta Airlines was exceptional.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 06-09-2019, 01:59 PM

It's probably like bus lines the first week of school. You have to use a shouty voice if you don't have some sort of microphone and you have to put a certain amount of urgency in your voice to get them to keep from just milling around.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote
StopFlying

StopFlying

This is why I stopped flying!
Old 06-10-2019, 04:43 PM

I stopped flying back in 2010 because of this sort of thing. I travel to relax, not to be harrassed. I don't need to pay all that money just to be screamed at and then treated like a criminal because I want to travel. As long as people continue to put up with this treatment, it will only get worse. Boycott flying.