Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Is this sketchy or acceptable?

>

Ruby07

Is this sketchy or acceptable?
Old 07-22-2019, 02:44 PM

We recently leased a car for my DD. As we were wrapping things up, the salesman told me that I would be receiving an email survey on my experience at the dealership. I told him I'd give him great marks, since he had done a great job with us. He then handed me a paper showing me all of the questions I would be asked on the survey, and he had marked on the paper WHAT MY ANSWERS SHOULD BE. He told me that if I didn't answer the way he'd marked on the paper, he faced being reprimanded by the company.

So...........I don't believe him.

I think that if I mark him the way he wants me to, he gets a bonus of some sort.

Thoughts?

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

survey
Old 07-22-2019, 02:47 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if he is reprimanded for a less than perfect survey. I know that the credit union where I work wants a perfect survey, or at the worst, 9 out of 10. However, I do think is was inappropriate for him to give you an example. That is tacky!

Last edited by Coopsgrammy; 07-22-2019 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: more thoughts
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-22-2019, 02:49 PM

I believe him. And since you had a great experience...
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 07-22-2019, 02:58 PM

I have been told about the email survey and the need for high marks in the past. I don't like the pressure. I am sorry but if there is pressure put on me to do the survey, I don't. Last time I bought a car, there were a number of issues with mistakes they made. Gee, no survey this time.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-22-2019, 03:02 PM

I believe him too. Most companies that do those surveys consider anything but the highest rating to mean the service was bad, and employees can get in trouble if they're not getting the highest marks. I think it's unfortunate because a lot of people won't give the highest marks unless something truly exceptional happens (i.e. maybe the employee gives them some sort of discount or something), while the company is considering the highest mark to be just regular good service.

I think it would have been more appropriate to explain this to you rather than handing out an example, but since you did like the service I wouldn't count that against him.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-22-2019, 03:02 PM

I believe him. I've had similar experiences and have heard that there are harsh repercussions.

If he really did a great or decent job, I would give him those marks. I think he did push it too much with the paper, but I also think they have a tough job to do well in.

I would not give good ratings to someone who legitimately did a terrible job, though.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-22-2019, 03:03 PM

It's possible he was telling the truth. I've heard from someone that they get in trouble for even one negative survey despite many good surveys (and the people who are most likely to respond to surveys are people who didn't like a service).

That being said, I think it was inappropriate for him to suggest what your answers should be or let you know that he would get in trouble. Way too pushy for me.
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-22-2019, 03:04 PM

This just serves as a prime example why people should NOT be punished or rewarded for the response on surveys.

Personally, I usually respond with middle of the road responses and reserve my superior ratings for interactions that truly are superior. No one should be in trouble because they receive "good" responses. When did "good" become bad?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-22-2019, 03:16 PM

I agree with Kahlua. I usually rate in the middle unless something was exceptionally different than Ďgoodí. However, I am marked down on my professional evaluation if students rate me less than perfect in any area, including if I can always tell if somethingís bothering them.

I strongly dislike people being evaluated by survey results!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 07-22-2019, 03:23 PM

I am just thinking aloud. Do you ever see those people on Amazon who rate something one star and give it a glowing review? Could it be that he was trying to show you the scale so you didn't give him a 1 instead of a 10? Probably not but just a thought I had.

happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-22-2019, 03:25 PM

Some places live and die by those surveys. If he did a good job and you are happy, I'd give him the marks he asked for (although I agree it's weird).
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 07-22-2019, 03:29 PM

Last year at the end of a two week tour, the tour manager (when handing out the survey) took the group that the company expected them to get perfect scores. So I believe him.

I think the surveys are complied in Lake Wobegon.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2019, 03:29 PM

I'm so glad so many of you think I should believe him ---- I'm really very suspicious of pretty much everybody.

I'm about to do the survey now, and he will be getting all 10s, since he really was very good!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 07-22-2019, 03:49 PM

I can see I am late but I'm glad you gave him 10s...we recently bought a new cell phone and the rep was very helpful. At the end, she gave us the survey and said that the employees get in trouble for anything less than perfect scores. She seemed embarrassed when she talked about it and it felt genuine. How dumb is the company though? Do they honestly think every employee is giving perfect service in every interaction?
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Surveys
Old 07-22-2019, 04:16 PM

I have received surveys for service at the Lexus dealer where I go. I have always gotten an email from the service consultant who I dealt with prior to the survey coming in the email asking if there were any issues with the service. Then the survey would be next.

I have had terrible service from one consultant twice. I never received the email or survey from those particular services. I mentioned my experience with him in the comments of the other service consultants after making it clear that I was satisfied with the service on the survey, but never had an opportunity to voice my displeasure with the other consultant.

I now make it known that I do not wish to have the one consultant.

I think there is a lot riding on those dealer surveys.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-22-2019, 05:23 PM

He is very likely being truthful. We have had the same thing happen twice, at two different Toyota dealerships. The first time, the salesperson did an excellent job, but we were extremely disappointed in our meeting with the business manager when we were making the deal. The person who detailed the car the next day before we picked it up also did a terrible job and DH sent him back twice to fix it! We complimented the sales guy but blasted the others online. We got a call from sales guy a couple days later asking us to take it down because no matter what the problem was, he was the one who was going to be reprimanded! So unfair.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 07-22-2019, 06:08 PM

I donít think he was lying, but Iíd be a little turned off by it myself!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

I believe him
Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 PM

I bought a car back in January and was told to mark my survey with all 10ís. They offer free car washes and dent repair. If I didnít mark the dealership/salesman with all 10ís then I would no longer receiver free car washes or dent repair. I felt so much pressure from his assistant to give them stellar reviews (they made we do a video about my experience and put it on Facebook and Instagram), that I donít think Iíll ever buy another car from them again. I think the marketing will backfire and itís sad because I have bought at least 6 cars from him in the past
emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-22-2019, 10:10 PM

I really dislike this whole survey thing. I have read articles on how they are used to 'punish' employees who do not get perfect marks. We recently got a phone (well, my son did) and the service person was great. She let us know a survey would be coming and anything less than a perfect score meant she wasn't doing her job.

Quote:
I think that if I mark him the way he wants me to, he gets a bonus of some sort.
More likely if he doesn't get marked the way he wants to, he gets dinged Apparently, that's the way of the service industry these days. It's really uncool.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 07-22-2019, 11:27 PM

Did he give himself all 10ís as well???
maui is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 07-23-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
We recently leased a car for my DD. As we were wrapping things up, the salesman told me that I would be receiving an email survey on my experience at the dealership. I told him I'd give him great marks, since he had done a great job with us. He then handed me a paper showing me all of the questions I would be asked on the survey, and he had marked on the paper WHAT MY ANSWERS SHOULD BE. He told me that if I didn't answer the way he'd marked on the paper, he faced being reprimanded by the company.
I've had dealership service guys say the same thing to me, although no one has ever handed me answers. They told me I should mark everything a 5, or whatever the top score was. (I never even did the survey anyway.) By chance, did you work with a Honda dealer? Wonder if they have some quality program...
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 07-23-2019, 04:21 AM

I'm also very wary of employees saying they will face some sort of consequences if they don't get high scores... I think it's just a strategy they use to make us give them those high scores.

I used to happily complete surveys, but lately I'm reaching the point of not even filing them out.

The last time I took my car in for a routine oil change, I got 2 survey email requests and 1 phone call survey request.

Last routine dental cleaning, I was herded over to a computer for an online review before I even checked out. Then I also got 2 survey emails.

Now I'm expecting mailman and trash pickup surveys!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 07-23-2019, 04:41 AM

This is precisely why I never do surveys - it feels so scammy! And, as a side note, it reminds me of grade inflation in schools and how parents all expect straight A's and anything else is deemed "bad"
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-23-2019, 07:47 AM

Oh, I believe him! Salesmen are up against difficult expectations to be perfect! One answer marked one notch below perfect, and they can face punitive actions. We had a similar experience when we bought our last car. I believe your dealership is under the gun for perfection.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Never heard of anyone telling someone what to put, but I guess so. As long as you felt he did well.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I was told that recently as well
Old 07-24-2019, 07:04 PM

and I was not at a car dealership.

The cashier at a local chain store handed me my receipt and asked me to take a survey (like so many receipts do) if I was pleased with the store and the service there. *I was. She said that their 5 point scale (on the survey) was measured as 1 point for them for each 5 rating and a 0 for anything marked 1-4.

Crazy. So there, even if you give them all 4's, they get NO credit from corporate.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote