Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dance costumes--piggyback

>

Ally

Dance costumes--piggyback
Old 07-22-2019, 04:11 PM

Claire's post got me thinking about all my daughter's dance costumes...she did ballet, jazz, tap and acro (all at different times as she only did 1-2 classes per year).

Her costumes were never skimpy but they were always expensive and almost always weird, except ballet, ballet costumes were generally quite flowy and cute.

A couple of REALLY bad ones stick out:

An acro costume in which she wore a bright blue unitard (so so many were unitards! ) with this asymmetrical tutu, they wore bright blue make up (lipstick was blue too) and some blue "face jewels"!

A jazz costume that stands out was this brown velvet number...it had this lacy skirt type bottom (it was some sort of jungle theme) and some lacy touches on the arms and a headband. Up close, the outfit wasn't that bad, style wise, for a dance costume but it was dark brown...so on stage and in the pictures, the girls basically looked like they had rolled in mud.

Another acro one was a unitard that was black with huge green polka dots on the legs and it had red sleeves. Then they wore this shift type dress over top of it that was mostly black and the bottom quarter was white. And it was topped with green headbands. It was such an oddball combo of colours and styles...but definitely in no way sexy, so there is that.

Anyone else have any crazy costume stories?

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 07-22-2019, 05:13 PM

DD didn't do a huge amount of dance but she is in a local musical performance in which she plays several roles, including a French maid, a sequiny Broadway star, a rich lady on the streets of NYC, and a homeless person. As she said, "Just what everyone needs: I'm a singing hobo."
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 07-23-2019, 07:56 AM

Lol! where do I start?? Both of my daughters danced their whole lives! One costume that stands out for an acro routine. The base was just a brown shorts/top combo that we were asked to "jungle" up using greenery. The teacher bought some fake greenery not realizing that she bought fake marijuana leaves!!!
Another bizarre costume was just a black garbage bag that they put arm and leg holes in.

Our studio does a yearly garage sale and I always intended to sell mine but something always came up and I couldn't, and now I have an extra bedroom literally chock full of 19 years worth of costumes!
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote