Help

BusyBoard

First year with no teacher desk

>

trexteach

First year with no teacher desk
Old 07-27-2019, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is the first year I have actually removed my teacher desk in order to add another student work area. For those of you who don't have one in your room, what is your preferred way to store the items you normally would keep in a desk drawer? I'd love to see photos, if you have them.

trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 07-27-2019, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've done both, desk & no desk. When I didn't have one, I appropriated a shelf for myself. It worked out fine. I have heard people talk about using their small group table as their main space with those storage carts with the drawers, for their things, too.

Since I teach K, the tables & chairs are so short that I prefer having a desk now. When I was younger, my knees didn't creak so much!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

VivianCP
Old 07-27-2019, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Next to my reading table, which will double as my work area when the kids aren't there for reading or math groups, I have 3 filing cabinets (1 tall, 2 short). I will use the tops of them as a desk-like area, but I'm trying to think of something in which to keep my normal, smaller desk items that will be easy access for me but not the kids. I'm thinking maybe something like a plastic organizer or smaller, plastic tubs, but I'm not sure. A storage cart would work, but I think I want something to sit up on a shelf or on top of the filing cabinets to save space.

Thank you for the suggestions.

VivianCP

Old 07-27-2019, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm sure this is a good time to find desk organizer sets.

When I used a shelf, I just had a lot of plastic containers, nothing special. Although the kids could reach it, they knew it was off limits for them. Since my shelf was in front of the empty lockers, I used the locker shelves (no doors on lockers from previous teacher) as well.

I have way more junk than I need in my desk drawers now. That's the good thing about not having a desk. It forces you to pare down & prioritize what you actually need and use.

Have fun shopping for your organizers!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 07-28-2019, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi trexteach (love your user name, by the way ).

I use these https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3...s/-/A-14779287

I think mine is actually 5 or 6 drawers and I have two sets. I store them on a bookcase. They are deep enough for pencils, pens, markers .... I am not sure if adult scissors would fit. These drawers are the perfect size for me and keep me much more organized than when I had desk drawers.

tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Teacher desk
Old 07-28-2019, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have never used a teacher desk like a teacher desk. My classroom para runs a center out of a teacher desk.

I use the small drawers like PP and any files or data sheets I need to easily get to are in a bin with hanging file folders.

Some teachers I have worked with use the hardware store toolkit. There are a lot of labels you can find online if you are into making it look cute.

https://www.google.com/search?q=teac...MhXWDymkwxxOM:

Last edited by readandweep; 07-28-2019 at 06:06 AM..
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-28-2019, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have not had a desk for about 12 years. I love having the extra space for students because our classrooms are fairly small.

I have my small group table near one of my counters. I keep my teaching manuals and my plan book on the counter. I also have a small shelf where I put my small group materials.

For things that would go into my desk, I have a "teacher toolbox".
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-28-2019, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I won't have a desk this year for the first time (and not really by choice). I have a couple of 3 drawer bin things (four small ones, 2 large ones). I have not even started to organize my work area - everything is just stacked up there. I hope to get rid of a few more things in that arena. I am certain I don't need everything I had but wasn't up to making those decisions when I was moving. Space dictates I get rid of a lot. We will see in another week what I can manage.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I went years and years
Old 07-28-2019, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

without a teacher desk. Got rid of it and never looked back. Actually, I had decided to get rid of my desk after attending a PD where it was discussed. I was going to wait until the following year, but the leg of my desk broke and the desk actually fell right on my lap=ouch! That was the powers that be's message to get rid of the desk! ! !

I am not teaching anymore and never thought to take photos, so this is what I did. I taught first, so the reading table was command central. I found those plastic storage drawers fit right up against the table, same height. I found one of those plastic organizer compartment things fit right on top of the drawers. So, I used the top for all the office type stuff, pens, paper clips, post it notes etc. then used the two large drawers to hold everything that would be in the teacher desk drawers.

* I found that not having a teacher's desk made my room more child friendly. Students came up to talk to me all the time and we had a face to face conversation. The adult size teacher desk seemed to set up a barrier between us.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 07-28-2019, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am guessing all you have laptops and mounted projectors or smart boards...I wish. I have to have my desk to put my computer, doc cam and projector on.

Some teachers in other schools in our districts got small carts for this stuff, not us-I have a giant monster of a desk for my workstation for projecting. and since everything plugs in to an outlet in the floor in the center of the room I cant even put it in an out of the way spot.

I keep thinking about buying a small cart myself but...I hate spending money

Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Thank you, everyone!
Old 07-28-2019, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Looks like either a cart with drawers or a plastic drawer that sits on a shelf is what works for most of you. I think I will look into one that sits on a shelf to give me a bit more room and keeps my items separate from the ones the kids use. If I remember, I'll take a photo of the final "product".

Have a good year.

EarthMonkey

Old 08-06-2019, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I got rid of my desk about seven years ago, I use 2 small low book shelves that run under one of the white boards to store books, post its, my pens and pencils, staplers, tape etc.. in and to put immediate needs (paper, lesson plans and current curriculum books) on top of. I also as of this year have the book shelves covered with a cloth curtain to keep it from drawing attention. I have an easel for presentation and a low small rolling table that has a shelf under it for my elmo and computer on top of and the shelf under is used for the connectors and active worksheets. I also have one of the classroom permanent cupboard right in the area where I keep less needed tools and teacher books I am not actively using daily.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Thanks, Earthmonkey
Old 08-11-2019, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Sounds very organized!

trexteach

What Iím trying
Old 08-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

This is how Iíve set up the teacher/guided group area. Crossing my fingers that I end up liking it.

Iím using the 3-drawer plastic cart and the metal pull-out trays on top of the shelf for copies for all subjects. I still want to label the drawers.

I have the three filing cabinets and the sliding door shelves behind the table for all of my manuals, read aloud books, folders with unit lesson materials, personal items, and random things that would normally go in or on a desk.

My favorites are the two, small, green magnetic holders I got from Really Good Stuff.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE