Help

Substitute Teachers

New to subbing

>

EyeSeeTwo

New to subbing
Old 05-25-2019, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have now retired and have begun subbing.

I purposely decided to only sub at the school closet to me in classes where the teachers know me respect my teaching abilities.

I have had some great one day and full week sub jobs and I feel great turning down jobs with teachers who treated me like dirt when I taught in the district.

My question is how do folks save from their pay check. The district I am working in only take out for Medicare, not state or federal income tax.

I live in California.

I have even subbed for the school secretary! What a hard job!

And for the special education paraprofessional, which was so delightful and fun.

EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Hmm.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You may not be earning enough for state and federal taxes to be withheld, I'd check on this. You can indicate a dollar amount to be withheld on your W4 filed with the district or perhaps a percentage as well. This might be a good idea because your pension plus sub pay may have you paying extra come filing time. If that's not a problem, just cut the IRS a check when needed. You can always put some money in a savings account to have available, even though it'll earn almost nothing.

I'm thinking the district is withholding social security, medicare, etc. I think California is a non-social security state which means you are likely not eligible to get any of your social security withholdings returned unless you sub or work in the private sector for 40 quarters/10 years and/or have eligible earnings from before you became a teacher. Since subs are not covered by the California pension system, social security is required to be withheld from your pay check--even if you never see any of it.

In Nevada, I receive about half of the SS benefits I earned before teaching here because of our pension system. I subbed after retiring and took my social security benefit. I got several years of $3/month raises based on those withholdings while I subbed.

The big crunch is that I do not have survivors rights to my husband's social security benefit.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-25-2019, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I sub in CA (20 years +) and state and fed. taxes have always been withheld. So the above poster may be right, that you did not make enough to have taxes withheld.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

EyeSeeTwo

Old 07-30-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for your replies!

I plan to sub next school year to help pay for my expensive medical insurance and set aside funds for taxes I may owe.

I have a set amount taken from my puny pension and I am saving fir my medical deductible.
EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote