Third Grade

Classroom Library

>

parkermak

Classroom Library
Old 07-27-2019, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I used to organize my library by genre. I had a system set up with stickers and taught the kids how to use it. Books were often put out in wrong baskets and I found myself or with the help of another student re-organizing the library. Last year I taught only math, but this year we are going back to all subjects. I am trying to find a more simple way. I am even contemplating not organizing it at all. My students would only be reading books at school and not taking them home.
Thanks for your thoughts!

parkermak is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-27-2019, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I organize by genre. Last year I gave each student 5 sticks (from Home Depot). They put the stick in the place of the book. When they returned the book they took the stick back.

It was the most organized my library has ever been, but it’s also the best class I’ve ever had so they’re probably not the best measuring stick.

We’ll see how it goes this year.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-28-2019, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I organize by genre, series, and author.

I don't let students re-shelf books. They put them in a "book return" basket and I put them back when I have a few minutes. I usually have at least one super organized student who likes to shelve them for me.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

parkermak

Old 07-28-2019, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you do Daily 5? Do they book shop for just-right books? That's my dilemma because they swap out books once or twice a week. I want them to be independent when they do this. I do not want to stand over them and I also do not want to reshelve books. I may just do something easier than I had or possibly nothing at all. I will have to see how much time I have before school. We start on the 12th of August, but I am going to a PD for 3 days next week.
parkermak is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 08-01-2019, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Mine are by genre and then I break down non-fiction in some pretty broad categories, for ex...Animals, Reptiles, Canada, Math, Solar System.

I love the book return idea. I think I will use that next year...thanks!

Usually I just suffer through with returns to the wrong baskets and once every so often I have the kids help me sort. We do a classroom tidy and that is one of the jobs.

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

downeaster

Old 09-14-2019, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi,
I have fiction and nonfiction sections in our classroom library. I also leveled the books and wrote the level on the back of each book. Shelves and baskets are labeled by the level. Popular series are in separate baskets and labeled with the series name and the level range.

One of the jobs in our classroom is librarian. Two students each week have this job and they help when we go to the schools library and in the classroom library. They do this at the end of each day when we are waiting for dismissal.

Last year was the first year my library was leveled. The children did a pretty good job taking care of it.

I may have to make changes this year because we have already had issues with children randomly reshelving books in the school library. I do have a library parent volunteer this year and that really helps.
downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Organization
Old 10-05-2019, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We just moved into a new school. There is one very large area where all books from classroom libraries were put, so there are no books in each classroom just on shelving and baskets in this large area. The classrooms are built around this area.

I am retired, but have been leveling these books since mid-August. It just so happens that I left behind all my classroom library books when I retired, so many of the books I'm leveling are ones I left behind...and were already leveled. Out of the other four teachers, only one had leveled her books!!

The third grade teachers decided to level the books by guided reading levels, but within each level, group books by series (example: level M-Magic Tree House). Some baskets have a variety of books because they are not part of a series or are picture books/chapter books at that level.

Each basket has a label (examples: level M-Magic Tree House or just plain level M). On the label is also a number. At the beginning of the school year, each child was given a basket or two and wrote the number on the basket on the inside of the book. That way, when students return books, they look inside the cover, find the number, and place it in that basket.

This has worked out very well.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote