Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Selling Education Books?

>

Haley23

Selling Education Books?
Old 08-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Last year I took 7 classes through Learner's Edge and am in the middle of 6 more for salary advancement. They send you 1-2 books for each class. It's stuff like Ruby Payne's book on poverty, Carol Dweck's book on growth mindset, etc. Do you think there is any chance a used bookstore would take stuff like this? I know if they did I'd just get a couple of bucks, but otherwise I'd just be throwing them away anyway and it would be nice to just drop the whole stack off at once.

I considered Amazon too, but I couldn't figure out the seller's account for the life of me. I made one forever ago to sell one thing, and now it's telling me it's out of date, but won't let me reset the password. All of these books already have tons of listings on there anyway, and even if mine were to get selected, IDK that I'd want to keep messing with going to the post office (very difficult to make it there with our/their hours).

Anyone have any luck at getting money back for stuff like this?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-11-2019, 04:34 PM

You might try Half Priced books. I have sold some to them. They donít give you a whole lot for them, though.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Books
Old 08-11-2019, 04:51 PM

I sold some of mine to a place online, but I can't think of the website. Not helpful, I know, but I'll try to find it. The clincher is, though, they have to be the most recent publication. I ended up getting about $70 for my books, but there were a lot I couldn't sell.
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-11-2019, 05:07 PM

If you would otherwise throw them away, why not bring them to the staff room and put them up for grabs? Perhaps some of your colleagues would be interested.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 08-11-2019, 05:48 PM

https://secure.buyback.abebooks.com/

I'm guessing this might be the site TexTea remembers. I got a site from a PT post, but I'm not sure this was it. Anyway, you enter the ISBN off the book, and the site will tell you whether they'll buy it and if so, for how much.

teacherwriter is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Website
Old 08-11-2019, 06:15 PM

The name doesn't sound familiar but the site looks like that's what it was and I'm sure I got it from PT.
Thanks, I couldn't find it.
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-11-2019, 06:31 PM

I entered everything into that site and they would only take 4 of them for a total of $13 something (for some reason, one little book was $10 and the rest were under $1.50). I thought okay, well that's $13 more than I had before, so I was all set to do it and then a message popped up saying I couldn't check out if my total was less than $15 .

Then I decided I would just take the whole lot to Half Priced Books and throw away whatever they don't take. Apparently they've closed all of their stores in my entire state- I guess we don't read .

I guess I will save the ones that site said they would take and hope that they will take something from my final 3 classes (which I'm signing up for this week) to get the total up to $15. I will send an email at school asking if anyone wants the rest, but I highly doubt anyone does. My school keeps us too busy with whatever this year's 10 new initiatives are for people to have time to read random professional books.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote