Help

BusyBoard

Studies Weekly

>

Teacherbee_4

Studies Weekly
Old 08-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a 4th grade teacher and will be teaching social studies to both classes. My school has a subscription to Studies Weekly for our state. I found a product on TPT that has some great questions/worksheets based off of each issue (it's designed for my state). I'll probably have them do these as partners maybe? Or maybe we will read it together first? Individually read and do the sheet? Switch it up? What do you think?

I'm wondering how else to use these/cover these in social studies. I thought I could divide the students into groups and give them each a part of the issue we are on and they could make a poster and present it to the class as another way to cover the material in it.

As I was typing, I was thinking maybe a flipgrid? They could read an assigned article in the issue or read the whole thing, then either summarize the assigned article or state 5 things they learned. If summarizing an article, students could comment on what they learned from someone else's flip grid, after I teach them how to properly/effectively comment as course. My new school does have a lot of teachers using flip grid and they send home permissions for it at the beginning of the year.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to use these in the classroom without doing the same thing over and over? I don't want it to get redundant or boring for them.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 08-15-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good ideas. I used to teach them note taking skills too. (Cornell notes) Lots of graphic organizers and then summarize based off of those.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Studies Weekly
Old 08-16-2019, 01:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your ideas and mom23kids are some things I do too! It is integrating reading skills to navigate informational text. Don't forget that the teacher component already includes supplements. There are additional worksheets with some pretty good questions. There are also graphic organizers and other ideas. These are on the online section. We always used the crosswords as a vocabulary assessment but I noticed there aren't those for every issue. I was the one who posted earlier this month about the changes (that I am not happy about
One other approach is to also use interactive notebooks. I have students cut up the newspapers to glue in important parts on the left side (and then highlight or underline main ideas, etc.) and then on the left side I assign some way for them to show their learning/understanding . Often this is illustrating, coloring, completing a graphic organizer. These become great study guides.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

harpazo1965

Social Studies: Ideas For Class
Old 08-16-2019, 01:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You said:

"I'm wondering how else to use these/cover these in social studies. I thought I could divide the students into groups and give them each a part of the issue we are on and they could make a poster and present it to the class as another way to cover the material in it."

I like this idea.
harpazo1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 08-16-2019, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I was the one who posted earlier this month about the changes (that I am not happy about
Yes, I remember your post. I used to use this as our curriculum because it was completely aligned but then we had to use Passports to SS.. Yuck! I loved SS weekly.

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What about creating Google Expeditions to visit some of the places (VR field trip) or using Google Earth to view the different geographical areas?
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks! I love all of these ideas!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote