Help

Kindergarten

Teaching K is "easy"

>

TeacherPK6

Teaching K is "easy"
Old 08-26-2019, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think I had my first experience with someone actually thinking that.

Scheduling my PT appointments with the office person, and I mentioned the start of school affecting my available times. When she asked what I taught and I told her, her response was "oh, that's easy." I think she really meant it too, I was kind of stunned for what to say, and didn't really respond, but she then added "at least it's not high school" or something like that.

Don't get me wrong, I do *not* want to be teaching high school! But, I think that's a whole different type of hard, not necessarily more challenging, as I know there are many high schoolers who would never want to teach kindergarten. I was half tempted to describe our typical day and number of 5 year olds completely dependent on you (with no aid in my district) and then offer to let her fill in for me one day. I love teaching K, but it isn't easy!

Last edited by TeacherPK6; 08-26-2019 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: It always adds extra spaces on my computer?
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

StellaBulldog

Old 08-26-2019, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This past spring I was at a wedding on my husband's side. I had never met his cousin's wife and when I did she was as nice as could be. We talked for a long time and eventually she asked me what I did. I told her I was a teacher. She asked what grade. I told her kindergarten. She then tilted her head and said how cute it was. She then directed all conversation to my husband, like I would be unable to understand anything they, or we previously, were talking about.

I think people are divided into two camps: 1) Wow, kindergarten! Bless you and all you do. 2) Wow, so cute! Do you finger paint and sing songs all day?
StellaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes in a kindergarten classroom in the past 5 or 10 years knows how hard it is (and most say they could never do it!). Anyone that is going off their memories of their own kindergarten experience thinks it's all play and songs and naps.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Teaching K
Old 08-26-2019, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

is abosolutley the hardest grade I've taught. But people always assume it's easy and fun. They think we sing and play all day. I told a family member that I took a position outside the classroom, and she asked me would I miss playing with the babies.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Kinder
Old 08-27-2019, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've taught high school AND K, + they simply cannot be compared. You are right, they're different kinds of hard.

Of course people think K is easy, because when kindergarten classrooms are depicted on TV, it's almost always cute little kids playing or listening to a story. Most people have no idea what actually goes on in a kindergarten room! The academics is intense, but that's only part of what we do!

When someone implies my job is easy, I usually let it go. They can be wrong if they want to be

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 08-27-2019, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
When someone implies my job is easy, I usually let it go. They can be wrong if they want to be

I definitely like that approach. I don't think anyone can fully understand what it's like for someone working in a completely different field (or even variations of the same one, like I probably do not fully understand what it's like to be a SPED teacher, or an art teacher, etc).
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 09-06-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think my (teen) DD thinks this also! She will text me sometimes during the day & can't understand why I don't answer right away, like I just sit around all day.

One time I was tired after work when she wanted to do something & I didn't. When I told her I was tired from school, she was all "I was at school too & I'm not too tired."
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-06-2019, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Not gonna lie, Kinder is HARD!
I did Pre-K for several years and then did Kinder, and it's a whole different world!
I'm now back in Pre-K
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote