Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

The domino effect.......

>

Ruby07

The domino effect.......
Old 08-31-2019, 02:00 PM

OH my goodness, have I gotten myself in deep! My DD and her BF are moving in with me temporarily (he got a job in the area, so they're going to move here and she'll look for a job in the area before they get their own apartment).

So anyway, I decided to make over her childhood room. I sold her twin bed for a start. She'd always said she liked my bed, so I bought a new one for myself and moved mine into her room (mine was my wedding bed, marriage went bad, I don't want it anymore.....and I got an amazing deal on a new bed).

So then we both needed new mattresses. And boxsprings. Thank goodness JCPenney was having an amazing Labor Day sale on those!

Since her twin headboard was also a bookshelf, I had to buy a new bookshelf for all of those misplaced books!

The nightstands that matched my old bed don't fit in her room, so off to HomeGoods to find small C-tables.

And now her room looks great. Except for the dresser. It's white, and the rest of the furniture is an espresso color. Hmmmm....my dresser would look great in there. I was planning on painting it with chalk paint to match my new bed, but ---- OMG I HAVE TO STOP THE MADNESS!

I don't have the money for this - ! Where does it end??

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Take a deep breath!
Old 08-31-2019, 02:17 PM

remember you are her Mother, not her Fairy God-Mother. It all sounds great.

Good luck with the dresser and then call it DONE girl. Your daughter is a very lucky girl. Good luck to her on her job hunt!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-31-2019, 02:28 PM

If you give a mouse a cookie.......
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 08-31-2019, 02:45 PM

Better be careful, they won’t want to leave
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 08-31-2019, 03:33 PM

[QUOTE
I don't have the money for this - ! Where does it end??][/QUOTE]
It'll will have to stop, or you will be left in debt!

It's nice of you to welcome them for a temporary situation.

For your financial protection and peace of mind, sit down with them and go over the expected length of time they will be there, and let them know that you expect them to contribute, (money) to help pay for a portion of running the household. They should be expected to help with a reasonable portion of the electric bill, water bill, and of course the food bill because you will definitely see an increase in those items. They should also help with household chores. This is a wonderful time for you to use the boyfriend as a handyman for items that need repair, etc inside and outside of your home!!

I hope you enjoy their company while they are staying with you!

LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Old 08-31-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
It's nice of you to welcome them for a temporary situation.

For your financial protection and peace of mind, sit down with them and go over the expected length of time they will be there, and let them know that you expect them to contribute, (money) to help pay for a portion of running the household. They should be expected to help with a reasonable portion of the electric bill, water bill, and of course the food bill because you will definitely see an increase in those items. They should also help with household chores. This is a wonderful time for you to use the boyfriend as a handyman for items that need repair, etc inside and outside of your home!!

I hope you enjoy their company while they are staying with you!
We've already talked about all of this. They are JUST out of college this past May, both still only 21 years old, so it's not like they have established jobs and are moving in with me after years of being gone. I'm not going to charge them rent for the first 3 months, but they will be buying (most of) their own food, because I'm not going to be home most weeknights by dinnertime, so they're on their own. I want them to be able to save their money for an apartment and furnishings. After Christmas, if their plan is to continue to stay here, then we will discuss paying rent and splitting other costs.

I will DEFINITELY enjoy their company, because I'm a single parent with an empty nest. Since my younger daughter started college last year, I've been incredibly lonely/bored. I'm lucky to have kids who I enjoy spending time with, and DD's boyfriend is great company as well!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-31-2019, 06:29 PM

Things like that always do have that domino effect! I hope you enjoy your new furniture and that she does as well! You sure got some good deals too!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 08-31-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Where does it end??
The truth s it never ends... at least at my house. I shop and shop for the one perfect thing and then see that I need something to go with it. It's a bit of a hobby. I'm glad that you'll have your daughter and her boyfriend to keep you company while they establish themselves in your city. When they move out they will be close to you so it's a win-win for you! Enjoy your new bedroom and your "kids" living under your roof.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 09-01-2019, 07:13 AM

At least you won't be cooking for them. They might want to stay indefinitely!! Enjoy the company. I can't imagine how I'll be in 4 years when my youngest goes to college. Can we say lonely????
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 09-01-2019, 07:37 AM

The domino effect is exactly why it takes an act of Congress to get DH to be willing to change anything in the house.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-01-2019, 07:44 AM

I actually LOVED it when my oldest moved back in after her 7 years of college (master's included). It was awesome to have someone else around to help with dinner and cleaning, along with conversation! Hope you enjoy it just as much!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Facebook Marketplace
Old 09-01-2019, 09:12 AM

When we moved to a new state, I suddenly had all sorts of decorating needs for my new house. I discovered Facebook Marketplace and Facebook Buy / Sell groups, and I love it! I can type in “night table,” for example, and simply scroll through all the pictures. I love shopping from the comfort of my home, and I appreciate the prices of “previously-owned” furniture because I am extremely frugal. It’s especially convenient if I don’t have a pressing need for something and can just check in once a week or so to see what has been recently added to that category.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote