Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Pet Sitter

>

Haley23

Pet Sitter
Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 PM

I posted a thread earlier this year asking for opinions about trying a new pet sitter due to a few issues with my current one seeming to be forgetful. It turns out that I'll definitely be doing that anyway, because my new house is outside of her service area.

I've been asking around and unfortunately most of the recommendations I got were for people who also are in different service areas. I did get one recommendation who is in the same town as me. I'm getting a little antsy because normally I would have my dates for Thanksgiving booked by now.

I emailed the potential new sitter last Wednesday. Maybe my mistake, because her website did say all over it to call xyz number, but I don't like calling people and an email was listed . She emailed me back on Friday evening, apologized for the delay, and asked for my phone number so she could call me this week and get me set up as a new client.

I emailed her my number, but haven't heard anything. I realize that she technically still has two days left in "this week" that she was going to call me, but if I were trying to get a new client I think I'd be trying a little harder, especially since it's now been a week since I first contacted her.

As I've posted before, I am a total crazy cat mom and I want a good person. At this point I'm wondering if this is a bad sign and I should just look for someone else. Or am I reading too much into it? Should I contact her again? I also don't want to get myself in a situation where everyone is already booked for the holidays.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-04-2019, 05:12 PM

I would either give her until the end of the week or call her back to get things set up. With the Labor Day weekend, she may have been really busy.

Another thought would be to see if there is NextDoor in your new area. If so, join and ask for recommendations. You'll likely get some and they should be in the right location.

Wouldn't hurt to have a couple of possibilities.

How's the new home?

Last edited by TAOEP; 09-04-2019 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Typo
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-04-2019, 05:21 PM

Honestly I would just call her. Like you, I hate calling people and would rather email, but since you know she doesnít do email very often, I would just call myself. Then youíll know for sure if sheís available or not.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Old 09-04-2019, 05:24 PM

Have you considered rover.com? I just left my dog for a week with someone I chose on there. I was very anxious about it but it turned out to be a great experience. You can read reviews of the people who have left their pets and see who is close to you and the prices they charge. I highly recommend it.
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 09-04-2019, 05:27 PM

I might wait for the week to be over. She might be scheduling other things and waiting until that is settled before calling...maybe?

I also might just go with my gut instinct. If it seems like she isn't really trying hard now then it's a bad sign.

Have you tried Rover? I have found many great pet sitters on there. I love seeing all the reviews. Check it out if you haven't.

love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Old 09-04-2019, 05:30 PM

I just wanted to add they also take care of cats... or at least Iím pretty sure I saw that on the site.
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-04-2019, 05:37 PM

I'm not willing to look at Rover as I've heard a lot of horror stories in my area. I want someone who is a professional pet sitter and not someone doing it as a gig job. I'm sure there are some people on there who are great but it's too big of a risk IMO. My cat has also had some medical issues and I want someone capable of dealing with that.

I did tell her that I had closed on the new house but wasn't moving in for another 1.5 weeks (at the time I'd emailed her) but wanted to make sure I had a plan in place for the holidays. So maybe she's in no rush because she knows I'm not living there yet...but it still just makes me a little uneasy.

cheerio

Old 09-05-2019, 11:57 AM

I think you should call her. Sounds like thatís her preferred method of communication. Iíd also think that thanksgiving would be a busy time so Iíd want to get on booking something.
cheerio is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up calling her today. She was clearly embarrassed and said she remembered my email but had "a million things going on right now." Still makes me a little uneasy, but all of her reviews are 5 stars...

We set up a meet and greet in about 1.5 weeks. She assured me that she still had holiday slots and that it wouldn't be a problem. She also said she would send me an email for a client portal tonight. I haven't received anything, but the night's not over. BUT, if she forgets to do that before the appointment (I didn't give her the exact address, so she would absolutely need it) I kind of feel like I have no choice but to at least try to look elsewhere. That's too much forgetfulness for me.