Help

BusyBoard

Any tips for a 1:1 classroom?

>

Ima Teacher

Any tips for a 1:1 classroom?
Old 09-07-2019, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been using Google Classroom and Reading Plus for several years, but only a day or two a week because of the lack of access to technology. (Our school has three desktop computer labs, a mobile laptop lab, and a ancient set of iPads.)

As of this past week, our district is now 1:1 Chromebooks for grades 8-12, and Iím looking for some tips to make it go smoothly. Iím trying to transition to as much as possible online. We have known this was coming for a few years, so I have been trying to put things into place to prepare. Iím pretty good with technology, and Iím Level 2 Google certified. Iím now trying to get the logistics of it all figured out. I have answers to these questions in my head, but I want to hear other options.

1. What do I do with kids who do not have a Chromebook? (We have a few parents who will not allow their child to have one.)

2. What are some good methods for dealing with off-task behavior? (We have Go Guardian to monitor screens, but there are always some kids who are off task.)

3. What about kids who donít bring their Chromebook to class or donít have it charged?

4. Any great sites to use with kids for ELA?

5. Your best tips for 1:1 classrooms in general?

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 09-07-2019, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use NewsELA, ReadWorks, and Read Theory to assign reading assignments online.

Our district has a platform, Canvas, that we use to upload/view all digital assignments. Does your district have anything similar?

ETA: LOVE Epic books

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 09-07-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-07-2019, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How much power do you have over the chromebooks? Weíre at 1-1 as well and have made it clear that 1-1 does not mean you have a device, it means we are allowing you to use one of ours just like a textbook or library book.

1. Our parents were not given a choice. The choice they do have is whether it goes home or not. However, at school every child has a device.

2. We write technology essential agreements every year in our classrooms and communicate them to parents. Off task behavior is redirected. If redirection is unsuccessful, I pick up the schoolís device (why I asked how much power you have), and the child does an alternative paper pencil assignment. It doesnít take most kids long to figure out that I mean business and use the devices appropriately.

3. Depending on the type of assignment, they either work with another device or they get an alternative paper and pencil assignment. 1-1 doesnít mean 1-1 24/7. If weíre doing a group research project, they donít need 4 devices to research. If itís individual, then they need to know that not bringing your device or bringing a dead device is not going to get them out of doing their work. Repeat offenders have the privilege of taking their device home taken away. I have a charging station in my classroom. They keep and charge their device in the classroom until they show themselves to be responsible enough with the schoolís equipment to be allowed to take it home.

4. Iím a fan of readworks and epic. I also like seesaw. I can have my students do booksnaps without bringing Snapchat into the classroom.

5. Keep technology use meaningful. When we went to 1-1 a lot of teachers used the devices with no real forethought. The students regularly make it to me with no idea how to use the tool they have in their hands and how it can help them to work smarter not harder.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-07-2019, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I need to find out if we have any additional Chromebooks to check out for kids who don't have one, and I also need to find out if we have any charging stations.

We were not in charge of handing out the Chromebooks. The district sent home a several-page contract that both parents and students both signed. They are checked out to the kids, but are the school property. When students graduate, they have the option of buying the device.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

molly71

Old 09-07-2019, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach 7th grade ELA and one of my favorite sites is commonlit.org. A new feature this year is that students can annotate the text online.

My district also subscribes to membean.com which is a vocabulary site. I really feel this has helped increase vocabulary for my students (many ESL students).

In addition, we use newsela.com (which is ok, but I prefer common lit). We have a subscription to the full version, but you can access it for free also.

As far as monitoring kids to make sure they are on task, I strategically place the kids I least trust so that screens are easy for me to see without having to hover over them. Of course I am sure they are still off task at times.

Our chrome books donít leave my classroom. Even though the school is technically 1:1, each classroom has a full set of computers which stay in the classroom, so a student doesnít have his/her own chrome book.

molly71 is offline   Reply With Quote

ITchComputers

Some thoughts
Old 09-07-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

1. What do I do with kids who do not have a Chromebook? (We have a few parents who will not allow their child to have one.) I would ask my admin about this. If the school is 1:1, how can parents refuse? Like previously mentioned, if it's because the parents don't want them to have them at home, then ask about having devices available for use in class.

2. What are some good methods for dealing with off-task behavior? (We have Go Guardian to monitor screens, but there are always some kids who are off task.) How do you deal with off-task behavior with no devices? In my opinion, it should be similar.

3. What about kids who don’t bring their Chromebook to class or don’t have it charged? What has happened in the past when they don't have a pen or pencil or paper or their textbook? A charged device is a required supply for the class. Of course, there will be times someone forgets so having an alternative assignment or letting kids work together could be an option. I definitely would see about getting a charging station along with some extra chargers for the classroom.

4. Any great sites to use with kids for ELA? https://www.noredink.com/ https://www.quill.org/ https://beta.freerice.com/

5. Your best tips for 1:1 classrooms in general? Integrate tech intentionally. It's not always the best option. Have procedures for what happens with the device if you don't require tech during a lesson.

Last edited by ITchComputers; 09-08-2019 at 01:19 PM..
ITchComputers is offline   Reply With Quote