Help

BusyBoard

CKLA/ReadyGen

>

ms.teacher

CKLA/ReadyGen
Old 09-13-2019, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our district is getting ready to review these two programs. District is looking to make a purchase in the next year or so. On Ed. Reports both received high ratings, but Iíd like to hear from teachers who have actually used them. It appears teachers may have a voice in this decision, so Iíd like to get as much practical information as possible. TIA

ms.teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My friend teaches CKLA in kindergarten. She honestly loves it. They use two of the three components and she would like to get the third one. (Donít ask me which two they use because I canít remember.)

She said she felt stupid teaching the first unit or so, until she saw just how well her class could blend and segment just weeks into school.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote
qwertasdf

qwertasdf

Ckla
Old 09-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach kindergarten and also use CKLA, which we adopted last year. I love it! We use the phonics and reading program, but not the writing (not sure if there is a writing program). It is an adjustment at first, but the kids seem to do really well with it. The Knowledge portion (reading comprehension) is very rigorous and the stories can be very long and detail oriented. It sets very high expectations but now that I know where it leads to by the end of the year, it makes sense. The kids also learn a ton of 'real world' stuff like world history, science, important events, and of course nursery rhymes and fables. I like it much better than the stories that other programs use that use mostly just fiction stories to teach reading skills. The phonics program is really the most amazing part though. Like the poster above said, you feel really ridiculous at first, and at times it seems to move quickly, but the kid's growth is amazing. 90% of my kindergarteners were able to blend 3 letter regular words with mastery by Christmas. By the end of the year they were blending 5-6 letter words with diagraphs. Even my RTI and low kids were reading well by the end. We also used CKLA's intervention plans, which really helped our low kiddos.

mom23kids

Old 09-13-2019, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I only know about Ready Gen.. 2nd grade reading Charlottes Web, All kids reading the same text on and mostly above grade level. (most kids lost)
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.teacher

Thank you
Old 09-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for your quick responses.

ms.teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 09-13-2019, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We've used CKLA since it rolled out several years ago. Our primary started out loving it, and most of our intermediate didn't have strong feelings about it one way or the other, and fifth hated it.

Since then, we've scrapped whole portions of it because our ELA scores were going down and it really seemed, to those who were looking into it, that the way we used to do reading instruction in the younger grades was much more successful than the CKLA instruction.

Everyone (except 5th) still likes large portions of it though.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote