Help

The VENT

Admin sucks

>

70Primrose

Admin sucks
Old 09-12-2019, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is kind of a vent, kind of a question. I am the lead for my grade level. My principal gave me the results/percentage scores from out standardized tests last year. She put a very sloppily written sticky note on it that she would like me to look it over and share out about it at the meeting. No explanation of exactly what she wanted me to share about it. We work very hard but are never as good as the grade before or the grade after. I kind of feel like she is wanting to put me on the spot, shame and embarrass me/us. Has anyone else been asked to do this? What do I say? Im sorry we let you down. We suck. Does she want some kind of big speech? I spoke with my team and we have plans on how to try to improve in the areas we were not strong in. Do you think that is what she wants? I am so tired of her showing the scores at every meeting!

70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

I'm sorry...
Old 09-12-2019, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

...that you have to deal with that, especially publicly. It's hard enough having the low scores, for which there are many reasons, many of which are not under your control.

If I were you, I'd sure be tempted to just say in the meeting what you said above: "Im sorry we let you down. We suck. and then sit down (wry smile!)

But I think you'd be better off if you did the other thing you said, which is to say, matter of factly, that you have spoken "...with my team and we have plans on how to try to improve in the areas we were not strong in" and then tell what your plans are. And also to say what the reasons are, as you see them, for the poor scores (Note: these are not "excuses", but "reasons" - don't let the admin turn your legitimate reasons into "excuses"!) Seems to me that no one could ask for more - here are the scores, here are the reasons for the scores, and here's what we plan to do to improve the scores.
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Scores
Old 09-13-2019, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would look for two positives and two negatives. Start with the positives - what is good about your data? What worked and was beneficial for your students? Then st the very end tack on a goal for improvement and be sure to include your team as the PP said.

I don’t know why your Principal would put the spotlight on one person, but as a fellow teacher, I would be sympathetic to your plight and would encourage you to help al of us fee a little boost of hope for positive success this year.

Don’t let her put you in the position of “scolding” others who are working just as hard and try not to hold it against the “favored” grades. In my experience the “chosen ones” didn’t ask to be that way!

Best of luck!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-13-2019, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sorry that your p put you in this spot.

I just got an email that my p wants to talk with me today about something happening in my job. I can't tell from the email the intent behind asking to meet. Is she just looking for information? Does she think that I have done something untold? Anyway, I am going to (try) to go in with no preconceived notions so that I hopefully can deal with whichever direction it goes professionally.

Maybe your p is just putting a grade-level request through you. Are you the leader or experienced grade level person? I would confer with my team or share what we had already talked about like pp's suggested. Honest, but not excuse seeking. I tend to be a very open and direct person, and typically that works fairly well most of the time. I love the idea of the positives and negatives.

Come back and let us know how it goes. I am really hoping that the days we put so much emphasis on outside testing at the elementary level goes away. There are so many things youngsters are still learning and dealing with that the testing is not a good indicator of their educational experiences. I can't speak to middle or high school, but at least they have had some time to learn some test taking skills.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

My Suggestion
Old 09-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If your principal wants this done, then she should be at the meeting to discuss it with your and your team.

I would send her an email.

"Thanks for the results. We meet next on (day, date, time). We expect you to attend so these results can be discussed."

It is not your job to be her whipping boy!!

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think I'd find 2-3 things that are positive and talk about those. Don't bring up any negatives but be prepared with something if asked. Why put the focus on the not so good parts?
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote