Help

The VENT

Please remind me

>

kerrysgirl

Please remind me
Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

that just because I teach, I don't have to love my students. The crew I have this year are just mean spirited and rude. Remind me to be consistent with reprimands and just continue to teach. Remind me that I don't need to take their attitudes home with me or let them make me feel like a bad teacher because I'm not.

kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

techteacher

So sorry
Old 09-16-2019, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are going through this. Sadly, itís all too common. I retired this past year in part because I was tired of the meanness, rudeness and the fact they were just so mean to each other. Try to be that positive role model because they donít always have them anywhere else. You canít control some things but you can control how you respond. Trust me, I know itís easier said than done. Praying for you.
techteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 09-16-2019, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You don’t need to love your students. It doesn’t mean you are a bad teacher if you don’t. I’m sure you already know you need to do your best by them while they are yours and teach them with the same passion you would a class that was wonderful. Hopefully as you go through the year with them you’ll be able to instill in them the importance of kindness and respect and you will see a difference in them as they mature.

I came to realize when I had those particularly tough kids over the years that either they needed me in their lives or I needed to learn something important from them. It helped me focus on “the mission.”

Good luck this year. I hope it turns out to be one of growth in all cases!
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Gifted

Old 09-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think our current culture and political climate have made nastiness seem acceptable. I'm hoping there's a shift coming in the near future.
Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-16-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Those are good reminders! I love most of my students, but definitely not ALL! Teachers are humans too. We don't have to like everybody we meet or every student we teach (as long as we don't show it! I can't stand it when adults play favoritism with children).

BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 09-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You absolutely don't have to love them, but I hope that by the end of the year, you find yourself loving them a little bit. Or at least, liking them and laughing at some of their silly moments.

I had a really rough class last year and if you had asked me, I would have said I didn't love them. That's hard to admit, because it does make you feel like a bad teacher. But to my surprise, when I came back this fall, I was actually really glad to see them! I wouldn't want them back in my class, but I do enjoy watching them grow up, and it's fun to see them in the halls or on the playground.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Those of you who soldier on, offering consistent discipline, a kind and caring role model, and education to children who seem rude and ungrateful are truly showing that you do indeed love the kids!

Remember, love is not a feeling. Love is a decision, and it is often a tough one.

You care enough about these kids to keep teaching. Thatís the best kind of love!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

In my very first teaching class in college...
Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

On the very first day of school, our professor asked, "Why do you want to be a teacher?" One girl answered, "Because I LOVE the little children!!" I asked her, "What happens when you get a student you DON'T love?" (because my parents were teachers, so I had a clue). She insisted she would ALWAYS love her students. I imagine she lasted about a year or two before resigning

When it comes to all that "remember your why" stuff, there are a lot of reasons to be a teacher and do your best as a teacher besides just "loving children". You don't have to love them to teach them!

1tired

I am so sorry you have a class like that.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last yr, I had my hands full too w/ some really mean kids. Continue to teach and you may be amazed. I was at the end of last yr when I saw a lot of changes.
They were far from perfect or saintly and I was ready for them to move to the next level...out of my room, but you will hopefully be happier w/ them once they've been w/ you for awhile.
Then some added hope....I have sweet kids this yr from the get go! I hope your yr gets much better. Until then, take extra good care of yourself.
1tired is offline   Reply With Quote

FUNNYJOKER

Old 09-17-2019, 02:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Unhappy people can usually only feel better about themselves when they put others down or make them feel inferior. Rough waters you're treading but hang in there. After many years of similar challenges, I finally made it out of my colleagues' web of ugliness.
Hang in there & keep your chin up!

FUNNYJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote