Help

The VENT

Canít believe the arrogance

>

70Primrose

Canít believe the arrogance
Old 09-13-2019, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

New vent. I have a student in my that is being raised by grandparents. He has extreme behavior issues. They pulled him out of one school because of his behavior, home schooled him for a year and now he is at our school. Was SpecEd but lost eligibility, no diagnosis. Our team just finished testing for everything to try to get some kind of support, he does not qualify for anything!! School phycologist feels in his gut the student is autistic. Anyway, grandma used to go sit in the class at the old school! No way in Hell I am going to allow that! Today she shows up with these stupid books, one for teaching math. Like I didnít go to school or anything to become a teacher. Or that I have not been teaching for years!!! I almost threw the books in her face! I was polite and spoke with her, I took the stupid books. If this happens again though I may lose it. I have to put up with his terrible behavior all day disrupting class and now her acting like she is the be all because she home schooled for one year. I am a parent, but I hate parents and grandparents are even worse.

70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

I can totally believe it
Old 09-14-2019, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The fact that these armchair quarterbacks didn't keep homeschooling the kid, even though they know everything (despite having no real-world teaching experience or formal pedagogical training), says it all. They have no idea what to do with this kid and his behavioral problems, nor do the people who wrote these magical books they brought to you, and these grandparents only had one kid to deal with.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 09-14-2019, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

IMO, you shouldn't have even taken the books. You can give them back, telling her you viewed them, thank her, and then tell her that the school district has already given you all the materials you need. Tell her she can keep and use them at home, if she chooses.

You need to draw a firm line with her, letting her know that you won't allow her acting like she is an educational consultant. If she comments in a negative way on that, tell her your district has math consultants with degrees that have everything already in place for the classrooms and that you follow their instruction.

Bringing those books to you would be like us bringing medical texts to a doctor's office.

Grandma needs a hobby at home to keep her occupied while her grandson is at school.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

And again.....
Old 09-14-2019, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

it seems like the administration may be missing in action.
Grandma sitting in class with child..um, our district allows parent visitation but the administrator has a meeting with them before and after about confidentiality, etc.. They are strongly reminded that they may not disclose to anyone what any other child did in the classroom. Often an aide or someone else is in the room to answer/explain to the parent what took place and why.
Books, these would be reviewed by maybe a supervisor, but by someone with authority, and a determination of whether the books support the programs and behavior management techniques the school board approved of or not before teacher is allowed to implement anything.
It would be pointed out that other parents have the same rights, and they may also observe the classroom and have strong feelings on how the teacher should handle students, behavior and class management, hinting at the other parents would have opinions on how their child and her child be managed that she may not like.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Ugh
Old 09-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm stuck on his old school allowing grandma to sit in class with him. That is appalling.

I understand you being upset, but losing your temper won't help anything. I would ask the administration to tell the grandparent that it is not appropriate for her to attend class with her grandson and that teachers have a curriculum to teach. It does not utilize materials brought in by families.

Last edited by travelingfar; 09-14-2019 at 10:38 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

different idea
Old 09-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One year I had a student with severe behavior issues and the grandma sat with him as behavior support. It made it so I could teach the rest of the class and not have to focus on this little boy's behavior. He was always more in control while she was there. She'd remove him from the room and take him to the time out space if he became disruptive.

Sounds like the grandma you're dealing with isn't trying to help, but implying she has all the answers.

My student ended up being moved to a setting 3 program for kids with emotional disorders so it didn't last very long.

Good luck
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

I think I am stuck
Old 09-18-2019, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

With him. The grandparents have an appointment for him next week at the doctors, but they donít believe in labels or medications. They want to try herbal remedies. They say he never shuts off at home either, stays up all night. He is a nightmare. If I tell them his behavior it is like she is a bee and it gets her all agitated and she starts buzzing around. I want the to know he is not behaving at school, but then I have to deal with her too! Another crappy year for me. I donít like my job. Why did I choose teaching? I should have done programming. Alone in a cubical!!
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote