The VENT

Parent continues to lose papers

>

learn

Parent continues to lose papers
Old 09-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,
I have a parent whom asking me weekly if I can resend her some paperwork that I sent home. This is the fourth time, I will be sending home her child's username/password parent letter to reflex math. Any way on how to nip this right away? She needs to get it together...I'm over it!

learn is online now   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 09-17-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does she have e-mail? I would just send everything via e-mail, then she has no excuse to lose it if she just leaves it on her computer.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wouldn’t agree to email everything. Only because the minute you forget to send something via email all hell will break loose.

I would say something along the lines of “ all paperwork sent home will be in the front pocket of your child’s take home binder. Please ensure you are checking this pocket each night.”
I would leave it at that.

All of our students have planners and I staple in anything that is super important.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 09-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No telling the situation at home. At least she cares enough to ask you.
If it's papers that you are sending home in the folder, is the child really taking them home?

I once had a student that would hide papers to go home way back in her desk. I also caught her hiding them in different places in the classroom and even secretly putting them in the trash on her way out the door.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 09-17-2019, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do the same as Lilbitkm and staple important papers in the planner. On Fiday I take out the papers that are still stapled in it from the week before. If parent haven't seen, asked for, or looked in their kids planner in 7 days, they are out of luck.

I agree with not emailing this information because soon you will be emailing everything. I'm all for teaching kids responsibility and accountability, but I REFUSE to take on the task of teaching the parent to be responsible parents. The only time I ever emailed information was when I had a set of parents that lived in separate cities. Dad wanted to keep up on what was happening in school. Junior spent every weekend with Dad who also frequently attended many school events and was very involved. It made sense because Dad couldn't see the planner every night.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-17-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What grade level? Is the child on an IEP?

I think I would call a conference, and I would have child and parent there. Ask them together why the paperwork is not getting where it needs to go. If I see it go in a folder (and I would in a situation like this, whether I see all the other kids or not), then they are losing it between school and home. That is not my responsibility. Does the child go to afterschool? Take her folder out somewhere other than home? Do they have a spot at home for folders/work to go? I would have them make a plan, in front of me and I would help them organize where they need help. Parent should be asking at the same time every night (right after school or after dinner) for the folder. Child should bring it, they should take papers out, put them where they go, put things back in and the folder goes back in the backpack right then.

Put it back on them and help them figure out where the problem lies. Take notes on what is decided and let them know you did. Check back in a couple weeks or PT conferences and see how it is going.

Oh, yes. Give them that logon info at the meeting.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I send most things electronically. I want to know it got home. I find way too many papers bunched up at the bottom of backpacks. Kids can practice accountability with homework. Finding myself between a rock and a hard place because a parent claims they didnít get notified about something important is not the hill I want to die on.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-17-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Do you have a school website? Many teachers have pages on a site where they can post various papers, links, calendars, assignments, etc. Then students and parents can just look there if they need something.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

learn

Dad or student throws it away I guess...
Old 09-18-2019, 02:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Mom is a flight attendant but it seems like their home life is a mess. I can't send it via email...its one of those documents which would send everyone's. Don't know what to do....she's even bothering another parent for the information which can't give her.

Pain in the neck parents...

KetchupChips

Old 09-18-2019, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Can you take a photo with your phone, crop it, and send it as an attachment? If you donít have a phone, ask a colleague.
Or print out the document and use scissors to cut off other studentsí info.
Then take photo and send.

I guess Iím not understanding. If youíre able to send home a paper copy, just print that again and take a photo and email that. Most printers allow you to choose the pages you want printed so you can just print the 1 page for your student.

Yes it is a hassle but do it once by email and itís always there for the parentís reference, as mentioned by pp.

Hope one of these suggestions works for you! Good luck.

KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-18-2019, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Use a sharpie and write on kid's arm.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

2nd Grade
Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

... I sent her an email with usernames and passwords for her daughter...I might just ignore the other emails if it continues on the same subject.

BadKitty

Old 09-19-2019, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I used to tape important things to the kids at the end of the day
"Please sign & return such & such paper by tomorrow" with masking tape on the front of the child's t-shirt.
Always worked for me, because some parents never looked in their childs backpack otherwise
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

1tired

Laughing @ Kalua's post
Old 09-21-2019, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Why not a perm marker on the forehead? I remember a few yrs back when a teacher got in big trouble for that!

I'd probably email it or tell the kid to tack it on his bedroom wall. I'd give them the tacks.
I have done that before when parents were really irresponsible and disorganized. It worked a few times w/ 4th graders..
You could also have the kid memorize the numbers at school. I do not let kids use the computers for anything fun until they know their log ins. I guess it depends on their age too.
I had a kid yesterday who missed a fun event because he did not have a paper signed. ( You could not go w/out it.) I think he may have learned something important from the experience.
1tired is offline   Reply With Quote