Help

The VENT

Illegal issues with Prep time.

>

MnToCa

Illegal issues with Prep time.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering what you all think I should do.

I work in Special Education for EBD high school. In my current position, we are obligated 5 minutes prep time for every 25 minutes we are with students. It is a state statute, and a law. We have not received any prep time so far this school year. I talked with my administration, and they said they are working on it right now, trying to hire more staff to cover prep time. Last year, we also did not receive any prep time, but it was a lot easier for we had less students, so we technically took prep when we had down time, but this year we are going non stop due to our high numbers.

Again, legally in my state, WE HAVE TO HAVE PREP TIME. I talked with our union, and he told me its up to us how we want to handle this. We can give them time to figure it out, or we can have our union go to our super intendant asap.

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-17-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In many districts teachers are paid for their time if they either volunteer or are required to teach during their prep time. Would that be an option, even temporarily?
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Old 09-17-2019, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If it happened last year and they didn’t fix it, I doubt they will fix it this year. Let your union take it to the Superintendent, or report them to the Department of Ed.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 09-17-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
In many districts teachers are paid for their time if they either volunteer or are required to teach during their prep time.
That's the way it works in my district too. As soon as it was implemented many years ago, the district quickly figured out a way to cover lost prep time, since they didn't want to pay. Your union should have been on top of this since day one!

I would read the state law and see if it spells out what happens when the district fails to provide prep time.
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-17-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
In many districts teachers are paid for their time if they either volunteer or are required to teach during their prep time
That's how it is in my district! If a teacher has to miss their prep, they get like $25-27 (I forgot exactly. It's mid-upper 20s) per prep time missed (and our preps are usually 40-45 minutes depending on school/grade level)

BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-17-2019, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like the suggestion to ask for pay for the time. Tell your school admin that you understand they're still working on it, but since you're not currently getting it you need extra duty pay for that time. If they give it to you, great. If not, I'd have the union escalate it.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-17-2019, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What state are you in? Here in CA prep is a contract issue-as in you get it by contract or you dont and they can take it if they want to.

Thats it-I'm moving to where you live

All joking aside-who is your site rep? I would ask them to take a vote as a school site in how you want to proceed and get the ball rolling.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 09-17-2019, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

They got away with it last year. What would make you think they’ll fix it voluntarily this year? Let the union take it on and be prepared for a fight.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 09-18-2019, 01:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If we miss a prep in my district we get paid for it-$44.50 for each missed prep. We also get paid if another teacher is absent and they have to split up the class.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Prep time
Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow, that really stinks! In our district we are given comparable time for any prep time taken up by duties. They give us a minute for every minute. So if I have to cover a class for another teacher and it's my prep time, I earn those minutes to be used at a later date when I can take time off. Does your building do something like that? Can you ask for that or some kind of compensation?

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-18-2019, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'd go with the cash while the school is hiring help. If it isn't resolved by winter break I would then take it up the next step. You deserve the prep time, and should also get last year's time loss in pay.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MnToCa

Can I break out of the contract?
Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

So I just was offered another teacher job in a different district.

Now we just started getting prep, but as of today, we have missed over 20 days of prep time, which is over 20 hours. I feel like they did not uphold their part of the contract, so why should I?
MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote