The VENT

Submitting lesson plans each week?

>

mlove13

mlove13

Submitting lesson plans each week?
Old 09-18-2019, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have to submit lesson plans each week? At my new school we have to submit lesson plans each week by Friday for the following week. They have to be incredibly detailed with objectives, do now, agenda, and homework. Im just curious if this is a norm in other schools? Its added a lot of stress because writing it all down in full detail has taken up more of my time that I dont have

2teach2

Old 09-18-2019, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sounds like you have a micromanager for a principal! I don't know of any principals in my district that require lesson plans to be turned in. What is the reason/purpose? If it's to ensure that there will be plans if a substitute is needed unexpectedly, there are other ways of taking care of that.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

NO. Not the norm here at all. I've worked in several districts, for several schools, and none of them have ever required that. I've heard of it and am always amazed such a thing would be required. I honestly would have gotten out of teaching years ago if I had to spend hours every week just because the boss didn't trust me.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Always
Old 09-19-2019, 01:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ive always had to submit lesson plans each week. When I have other teachers who work with my students, they need to be submitted by the end of the week. Some principals are pickier than others, but once I learn what they want, Im all set.

I found that making a copy each week of the previous weeks plans and updating those makes plans go quickly. I also like to have my plans written down for myself so that I stay on track.

Maybe you can make a template for yourself and just fill in the parts that change. Make it as easy as possible for yourself!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 09-19-2019, 01:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did for the last several years. Wed meet twice with admin to, in theory, discuss and plan collaboratively but wed meet and it would waste my time so wed end up having to do incredibly detailed plans in threes planning periods.

cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 09-19-2019, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've had to submit detailed "like a stranger could walk in from the streets and do them" lesson plans each week at every school I've been at. This is the first time I am only responsible for submitting plans for the subject I plan for.
TheGr8Catsby is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Yes
Old 09-19-2019, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had a principal who wanted them every week. My last one collected them on a rotation, but we had to do detailed ones similar to yours. I am retired now, but they are hours of my life I will never get back.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Lesson plans
Old 09-19-2019, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I taught in private school, we had to submit lesson plans every week. I diligently complied, but not all teachers did which upset me since there werent any consequences. The principal and his wife were teachers and were the worst offenders of this requirement.

Ive been in public school for a long time now. My two previous principals never requested copies of lesson plans. My current P will find the busiest time of year on a Friday and request plans for the next couple of weeks by the following Monday. She has an agenda when looking over the lesson plans, but doesnt share the agenda until after she reviews them. Shell ask the teacher to revise those plans to include whatever meets her agenda. Aaaaandddd...yet again, not everyone supplies the plans. I truly think she is checking on certain teachers to make sure they have plans. But why make all of us suffer?
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

4leaves

No, never
Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That is terrible. We are professionals. We know where we want to go and we adjust as we read our class that day and that minute. I feel super sorry for you, and cant believe your principal has time to read, evaluate, and talk with you about your plan.
4leaves is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Always
Old 09-19-2019, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am retired now. Every school during my 30+ years required lesson plans. Some admin wanted more details and others wanted a particular form. I will say having started handwriting them and then uploading lps on the computer did make life easier.

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 09-19-2019, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My last 19 years of teaching... yes. Submitted by Monday AM for the week. Objectives and agenda.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 09-19-2019, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have always been expected to make lesson plans but different principals have required different levels of detail and some have not required them to be turned in but always left open on my desk.

I make pretty thorough plans because it makes the actual teaching easier but I've always been annoyed to have to turn them in or leave them in a particular place in the event of a sub because never have I had the luxury of a sub who was qualified to teach my subject area (music). In my previous, full time position, I had to have a separate sub folder with activities that could be supervised by someone with no music background and it was generally a good idea to have back-up plans that could be used if our technology failed or I got a sub who couldn't play a DVD in a computer.

Now, I am still required to leave my plans on my desk, but they will never get a sub for me. Since I only work two days/week and have no sick leave, if I have to miss a day I am expected to make it up when I am able.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-19-2019, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our district requires it. We have to email it to our principal by Sunday night.
Most don't even check though.
I noticed my P last year didn't say anything one week when I forgot to submit it, so I stopped sending them to see if she'd say anything. And she never did. So I didn't send any lesson plans from December to the end of the year
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 09-19-2019, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

No lesson plans. No grade book. If I had to turn either of those in, I wouldn't continue working at that particular district.
Grades are online. I'm fine with admin coming in to see what I'm doing as I teach whether it's announced or unannounced.
I could see a possible need for lesson plans from a beginning teacher but those should be shown to a mentor.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Submitting lesson plans
Old 09-19-2019, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Never, ever. No lesson plans. Wed have to enter some data a few times a year, but that was it. Two Ps wanted to see all report cards before sending them out, 3 Ps did not.

We also had haphazard evaluations. All my Ps made it a point to get to know the staff, so when evaluation time came, they would be in and out of your room in a flash.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Yes, always
Old 09-19-2019, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

At my old school our lesson plans were required by Monday am. Quite detailed also:
- obj
- standards
- outline
- materials
- assessments (workbooks, formative, informative, etc)
- differentiation
- SPED mods (w/students initials next to the specific mod/accommodation)

It was an on-line lesson plan / grade book, so once you had previous years plans in you could copy/paste & make adjustments from the previous year. That made it slightly more bearable but the first year/time putting the plans in wound take hours

The kicker?!? Even with such detailed lesson plans (like anybody could walk in, read the plan, & take over) we were NOT allowed to use those for sub plans That was maddening
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-19-2019, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Yes, unfortunately. For most of my teaching career, we didn't have to turn in lesson plans. The last 5 years of so we did. It was in the contract between the district and union. Due early Monday mornings. Guess what I did every Sunday evening? Detailed to include standards, methods, materials, assessment.

I really resented the time that it took. I even had to file lesson plans for on-line courses students were taking (but for which I was the teacher of record).

Mine were done on an excel spreadsheet and eventually I could do a lot of cut and paste from previous years.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Nope.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We have in our contract that we do not have to submit lesson plans at all. We are supposed to have our lesson plans out in view (in case there's an emergency and we aren't available), but no submission.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have never had to submit lesson plans except for formal observations.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Always every Monday morning
Old 09-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Just like WordFountains minus the sped modifications- for 30 years.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 09-19-2019, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I've taught in 4 districts and have had to turn plans in at all of them. Currently we need to include:
* objective
* materials (page #'s, worksheets, art supplies, computer sites/programs, ect)
* formative assessment materials and/or method
* homework/practice assignment
* standard
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 09-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Nope, not once in 34 years unless we have an observation. This is one of those things that would make me retire if they told me I had to start doing that. I'm sorry you have such a micromanager
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 09-19-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Yes, my whole county does.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

AuntKK

Curious
Old 09-19-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We teach using the workshop model. I meet with two math groups, at least two reading groups, conference in reading and writing with at least 5 students a piece. Do you submit all those plans as well as whole group lessons? I dont think I could do it!
AuntKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 09-19-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

If they made me do that, I would quit.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 09-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I've always had to submit lesson plans. I assumed this was the norm. In the past, these had to be inputted by Friday, but now Monday is fine. We need to have TEKS (state standards), content objectives, language objectives, materials and a brief overview of the lesson. They also want to see differentiation and SPED modifications.
76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-19-2019, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I consider myself fortunate that I've never had to turn in plans. In my home state, many of the schools I did my ST/practicums in had teachers turn in plans.

In the last 2-3 years I have gotten way more detailed in my own planning just because the expectations for us being extremely well planned are very high, and we do have a lot of walkthroughs. That said, I'm not sure how much my plans would make sense to someone else. I also only plan 1-2 days in advance so I can really tailor lessons to what happened in class that day (do I need to go slower/faster, cover something I didn't originally think about, etc.) It saves me time in the long run because I don't have to go back to "tweak" plans I thought I already had done.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 09-19-2019, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Quote:
like a stranger could walk in from the streets and do them
That's the same thing we have been told. But no one has checked my lesson plans in YEARS. So I ignore that nonsense.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

2000Aggie

Wow!
Old 09-19-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I always thought ALL teachers were required to have lesson plans, regardless of where they teach. I taught for 25 years in Texas, and that is a big requirement for the 4 districts that I worked in. We had to input grades online every week for parents to see. Plus, we had campus-wide assessments every 3 weeks, all subjects 1st-5th. Then we analyzed the data during PLCs. Geesh, what a waste of time.
2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 09-19-2019, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Monday by 8:20 AM. Submitted by e-mail. Objective, state standard, teach, active engagement, link, resources, assessment. Every subject, every day. Easier this year than last year. We changed every curriculum guide last year.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

teach123

Old 09-19-2019, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Yes, for about the last 8 years we have e extremely detailed lesson plans. It takes away time I could be using to find or create new activities. I do resent having to do extra work on my plans. I miss the little squares that we used in the back of our grad ebook for plans. Thay kept me on track much better than the new template. Ours is due by midnight Thursday for the upcoming week. Makes it hard to adjust or plan according to your class. I hate it because I may be teaching one skill this week but my mind is working on next weeks skill and it drives me crazy. I do the bare minimum and my math plans average 8 or more pages each week. I don't even include detailed plans for groups and they are still long. The funny part is once they are turned in, I usually never use them to actually teach.
teach123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Yes to lesson plans
Old 09-19-2019, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I've been teaching for 18 years, and I've ALWAYS been required to turn in detailed, weekly lesson plans. I'm baffled that there are schools that don't do this. I wonder if it's a Title 1 thing?

Eccj

Yes!
Old 09-19-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

We have to turn them in Monday morning. I am so surprised some of you dont have to. Maybe I need to move.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 09-21-2019, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Kind of. We don't turn them in but have to have some plans as part of evaluation evidence. I use a table format and plan for the week. I find it is popular format. My plans are pretty detailed but I think it gets easier once you have them done because you can edit for future use. I don't think it is unreason able to want teachers to have plans with objective, standars and some basic description of what the lesson will look like and what activity students will do
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

Lesson Plans
Old 09-21-2019, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Mine have to be kept current two weeks at a time to include stations/centers in reading and math. I upload to my grade level google drive folder and they are commented on with needed changes or good job if no changes. The special thing is is that the reading plans are already done by the county for the entire year. I literally just had to add a column to include the day of the week.
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

Yes!
Old 09-22-2019, 12:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Detailed lesson plans with standards due Friday before leaving school. Lesson plans had to be posted online and parents had access to them. Parents would actually give suggestions on how some teachers could improve their lessons - never happened to me and it's a good thing - wouldn't have been pretty!
frecklejuice is online now   Reply With Quote

lovelife07

Yes! Yes! Yes!
Old 09-22-2019, 02:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

For all of the 23 years I have taught. Our plans have become more and more detailed. They have to be turned in by Monday morning with standards, differentiation, homework, etc. Supposed to be detailed enough for if a substitute had to use them. They end up being 10+ pages typed! They are so detailed that they are difficult to use. I end up doing a written copy for myself with a basic outline for what I am doing. More work...
lovelife07 is offline   Reply With Quote