BusyBoard

Book Suggestions??

>

Socks

Book Suggestions??
Old 09-11-2019, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!

I am teaching 3/4 this year. Our third graders are TOUGH. I looked around my room this today and asked myself if I somehow transported into psych hospital. It's bad. Kids refusing to follow directions, purposely doing the opposite of what I say then throwing a fit because I took away a privilege, rolling around on the carpet, trying to choke themselves... and the NOISE. They just don't stop. Parents are no help as they are very defensive. I need something good that might give me some new ideas. Any suggestions for a book I can listen to on my commute? I have some Audible credits I'd like to use up.

Thank you!!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

gofourth

Three different suggestions
Old 09-20-2019, 12:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have three possible options for you. One is more about addressing behavior. I read and attended a workshop by Jim Fay. If you are not familiar with him you could try his book "Discipline with Love and Logic". It sounds like you have an awful lot of behaviors to address, but it might be a start. I went to multiple trainings for a program called Responsive Classroom.. That is more about working with the students to become a community and show trust and empathy to others in the classroom. It does not happen overnight, but I think it does change the atmosphere in a room. So there are two books from them on Amazon you could take a look at. The first book is called "The Morning Meeting Book" by Roxann Kriete. A Responsive Classroom morning meeting is different than those you might do with a reading series for example. It has been the first 20 minutes of the day for me for years in 4th grade. The second is called "Teasing, Tattling, Defiance and More: Positive Approaches" by Margaret Berry Wilson. I know you can pick chapters that you want to listen to on Kindle from the second book. Hope it helps and I didn't give too much information. Take good care!
gofourth is offline   Reply With Quote