Help

The VENT

Tantrum during walkthrough

>

aly7123

Tantrum during walkthrough
Old 09-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach third grade and had a surprise walkthrough during language arts. Everything was going well...the kids were reviewing fragments and run-ons and if they finished their work, they were to get something out of their classwork folder to work on while they waited for the next step.

One girl who is notorious in the school for being difficult finished her work. I asked her to get something out of her folder since she was just sitting there. She opened her folder and I saw she had classwork from science class that she didn't finish the day before. I told her to get out her science packet and start working on it. She begin to stomp her feet and say it was too hard. I told her once again that she needed to get out the packet and use that to find the answers. Cue high pitched whiny voice, "But then I'll have to read it!" No, really? And then more stomping and then she put her head down on her desk and started crying and refusing to work.

I wasn't about to engage her anymore so I just reminded her that this isn't how we earn tickets for our PBIS system. More whining and I just walked away while the girl behind her told her to be quiet and do her work. Cue more whining and complaining and I just told the girl behind her to ignore her and reminded the whining girl one last time to get to work and then walked away again. I contacted mom on Class Dojo and let her know what had happened and she promised to have a talk with her when she got home.

Thankfully the assistant principal didn't write anything bad about that incident...she just said that I had reminded the negatively behaving student that this wasn't how we earned tickets.

aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

im sorry
Old 09-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry! It is a hard reminder that we are dealing with humans (which I try and remind my admin). I am surprised your admin didn't write up that another students tried to help her. Hopefully mom talks to her and it does not happen again
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry that happened to you. You kept your head/wits about you and did the right thing.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year I had a child go into a HUGE meltdown during my first walkthrough of the year over "O Octopus /o/" (from Fundations). It wasn't one of the letters/pictures in the learning target and apparently it was his favorite . He literally screamed bloody murder/cried for 15 minutes. I was mortified, but I ended up getting extra points on our rubric for how I handled it, so it worked out well for me in the end!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 09-18-2019, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ugh, that's so frustrating when that happens during an observation! I don't think it should reflect on you though (and it sounds like they understood that). They got to see how you handled student behavior issues.

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's funny - I actually like when I have a hard student have a meltdown or other big problem during an observation or walk through. I like the admin to see what really goes on daily.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TebowTeacher

Bad Observation
Old 09-20-2019, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My very first year of teaching I had a rough fourth grade class. The AP came in one day to do my very first observation. He was a big guy...probably about 6'3" and about 300 pounds. Well, during my lesson I had a student completely meltdown and start hiding under desks. He was being loud and making noises too. I finished the lesson... best as I could. The AP proceeds to pick the kid up with one arm and carry him out of the room. I walked to the door, watched the AP walk down the hallway with the screaming kid dangling off his arm, and thought to myself, "Well, that didn't go very well..."
TebowTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote