Help

Teachers' Lounge

Travel to Europe

>

learn

Travel to Europe
Old 09-21-2019, 05:38 AM

Hello PT,
Wanted to travel to Europe and wanted to know a good itinerary recommendation for a ten day trip.

Can't wait!

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 09-21-2019, 06:06 AM

Are you going to go on own, with a tour or on a cruise? I like doing tours and cruises because they handle the details and you get to meet such interesting people. Also, you don't have to drive. If you are doing it on your own I would suggest Rick Steve's website and travel books. I would be careful not to plan too many different cities in ten days. Maybe four or five cities at the most? You will need travel time to get to the next place and some European cities are hard to drive in. What do you want to see-big cities or smaller towns, many different countries or a lot of one country? My top places would be London, Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, and Berlin. I also loved the Fjords of Norway (to see the Fjords you really need to do a cruise). Clearly you can't do all that in ten days. Some tour companies also have on your own packages that are helpful. Have fun on your trip! I am going back to Europe to do my first River cruise next summer. I can't wait either.
onion girl is online now   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 09-21-2019, 06:20 AM

Thereís endless possibilities here. You need to narrow down where in Europe you want to go. What countries are on your must see list? Portugal is amazing and affordable. You can take the overnight train from Lisbon to Madrid. And spend time in Spain. We needed 17 days to see a lot of Portugal and Madrid. Italy, France, Germany, Spain can easily take 10 days staying in one or two cities. Donít forget Greece! Itís beautiful! Hereís some of my favorites:

Barcelona
Madrid
Rome
Venice
Florence

Do you want to see a lot of different places for a short time? Then take a cruise. If you want to really get to know an area stay in an air bnb. Europe is truly an amazing place.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 09-21-2019, 06:40 AM

Europe is huge and ten days, while a good chunk of time, will only allow you to see a small part. If traveling by yourself I suggest you need to narrow it down to one area or two areas relatively close in proximity. What would you like to see the most?
If taking a tour or a cruise there are lots of options. Look carefully at the itinerary and pick the one you like most. While people have their favorite tour companies, in reality you can get a good trip experience from any of the major ones.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 09-21-2019, 06:48 AM

I am so excited for you. Going to Europe was always on my bucket list, and since our first trip we've been able to go multiple times.

We like doing trips on our own, and love how Rick Steves lays out easy to follow itineraries. Also, look at his online sight to get sample itineraries, and a travel forum where you can ask questions.

My caution would be to narrow down what you'd like to see- there is so much to see. I like to have the mindset that I will return. I'm in the middle of planning a 5 week trip to Spain this winter- so I have to keep reminding myself of this.

If you are thinking several countries, I'd limit it to 2. In 10 days, the first and last will be eaten up with travel, and jet lag, leaving you with 8 actual days. We prefer to stick to one country per trip ourselves - but we are becoming more of slow travellers, more interested in savoring the experience than rushing from sight to sight. But everyone is different in how they like to travel.

What do you enjoy when traveling- cities versus small towns, history, museums, food, art, people watching, cultural events, festivals?

Also: Trip Advisor Forums: find the city you want to visit, and then click on the 3 dots to the right, and click on "Forum". Lots of information, and you can submit your own questions. So helpful.

Trips we have enjoyed (each trip has been a combination of flying, train, and driving, often in loop):
Spain: Madrid and Andalucia (Sevillia, Cordoba, Ronda, white villages, Malaga); Granada
England: 2 times; London- Cotswalds; Stratford-upon-Avon;Coventry; Warwick; Stoke-on-Trent
Ireland: Dublin; Galway area; Iran Islands; Dingle; Killkenney;
Italy: Milan; Venice; Ravenna; Assisi; Florence and Tuscany area: Cinque Terra; Pisa;
Germany/Austria: Munich; Salzburg area; Innsbuck; Wartburg; Berlin; northern coast (family history)

Planning and researching your trip is half of the fun! Enjoy!

grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote